Feeders

mikench

Reaction score
Do members think that any particular feeders are better than others. In relation to method feeders what are your thoughts on the various makes ie Guru, Preston Drennen etc and the various shapes and sizes say a Banjo feeder.

I think i prefer elasticated in small sizes up to 24gm in weight. Being a **** i have of course bought , used and lost most of the various varieties but have had most success with Guru.

I did buy a Preston Banjo have have yet to use it! I thought it looked cute:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
I only use two types of method feeder, Drennan and Matrix. Drennan for shallow water Matrix for deep.
With Drennan I don't like the plastic connector that sits inside the end, fits too tight for me and the fish has to lift or drag the feeder to show a bite if the connector is pushed in too tightly into the feeder. To prevent this I use Guru speed beads.
The Matrix feeders I use are an hybrid feeder that I think work better in deep water than a flat bed. Flat beds can empty on the way down in deep water, the wall on hybrid feeders hold the loaded feeder better.
I use Speed beads because I rate them the strongest connector there is, I don't like plastic connectors, that's just me as I know loads of anglers prefer them.

mikench

Reaction score
Guru speed beads? Your comments are interesting and as to depth of water, should have been obvious to me before!

rayner

Reaction score
Yes Mike, I prefer the Speed Beads because they are the easiest to open for me and with the connection between main lines and hook length is a metal swivel with one end part opened it's easy to connect hook links to the swivel without having to side anything to hold it secure.
Guru have some very good ideas, not like Preston imitations.

Philip

Reaction score
Bit of a throw back but a feeder I used allot in the past was the Drennen feederlink..at least thats what i think it was called.

Closed end, green plastic with a green plastic stem and small cone shaped interchangeable weights that used to clip onto a plastic lug at the bottom.

I still have a couple kicking around the tackle box (+ loads of the cone shaped weights) but never seen one for a long time now.

The plastic used to crack too easily but I liked them allot as a maggot feeder for smaller species like Roach.

I imagine they stopped making them. Maybe someone knows.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, No surprise they have stopped making it.

Yes the variable weight system was good. The Carp feeders do seem to be the closet. …I think I did actually take a look at them once in a tackle shop..I would need to double check but from memory the annoying thing is that although the clip at the bottom is the same design as it was on the feederlink they have made it bigger so it won’t fit the old feeder link weights of which I have many. I’ll take another look when I next come across them but I am pretty sure it’s the wrong size now.

B

binka

Well, I have a confession to make here.

The only time I use a method feeder is when I fish a large gravel pit which is devoid of any bankside features and Mr Cormorant has dictated that a long chuck, further than most people go on holiday, is the order of the day to in turn find deep enough water that he would suffocate in whilst trying to find a snack.

And it works :)

In which case the ESP method feeders in a mighty weight of almost three ounces unloaded are the order of the day.

In fairness I have devised a cunning plan involving the same feeders which has proved successful on rivers with some big barbel but that wasn't the question ;)