Which item of tackle.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Are you most particular about?

Given that rods and reels are designed nowadays to serve a particular purpose, the decision from that standpoint is relatively straightforward.

However, ''hooks'' as far as I'm concerned are a different matter. So many variables to consider, ie gauge of wire, gape of hook, spade or eyed, and we could go on.

I went down that particular road years ago before settling on the American ''Eagle Claw'' brand for all my Predator fishing, and have never had cause to Question my decision.

Do any of you have a similar preference for any item of tackle, and if so what would that be?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not so much a preference on a particular brand/pattern but I am extraordinarily fussy about lines and hooks. I wont use anything that I don't have 100% confidence in and if that comes at a premium in terms of price then so be it.

I cannot see the point of investing £hundreds in rods & reels and then trying to save a few quid on line and hooks. Kind of misses the point by some distance

flightliner

Reaction score
My twenty five year old original Whychwood rucksack, superb bit of kit that has done yeoman service over the years, they dont seem to be the same quality these days and its getting a bit tired around the edges. Cant get much gear to the waterside without it and it's going to be a sad day when it's beyond servicable.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have a total preference for Preston products for my match fishing but after they sold out I have not really been too particular about sourcing their predicts.

I do like Korum luggage/chair products for my river or roaming fishing and have never found much to better them.

Lines and hooks; I do tend to switch around based on user reviews and recommendations from anglers I trust, but for split shot I still use nothing but Sensas in the small sizes, and I use Stotz and Styls on my pole rigs exclusively these days for silver fish sessions.

john step

Reaction score
I will only use ZLT shot and Stotz in 10s and 8s.

Hooks I have recently rediscovered Kamasan B520s. Just right for the lighter approach whilst the 611s are good for a step up in gauge.

Reflo hooklinks for refined stuff and good old Sensor for everything else.

I don't spend hundreds on rods and reels. I like Shakey rods and have been using a £10 Fladen 40 size reel for on the bomb. No problems.
The gear catches fish.

B

binka

Like many hooks and hooklink are the main ones although I will faff with seemingly endless floats until I feel I have exactly the right one for the conditions.

rayner

Reaction score
Always stick with the same main line for everything, namely Maxima.
Hook links vary depending on application, I use three. Silstar match team, Trabucco diamond and Reflo.
Hooks have to be what I have used for a while again dependant on application.
My favourite for roach and has been for a number of years is Colmic WN401.
Normal everyday commercial hook is a Kamasan 611. I like Korum CS hair rig hooks for bomb fishing.

terry m

Reaction score
I think that the significant improvements in quality, in the general production process means that while some kit may just tick the acceptable box, most is either good or very good. Social media means that poor quality is made very public, very quickly.

So, I think much comes down to brand loyalty, however one eyed that may be, or using stuff that has served you well in the past.

For me (speaking generally), Shimano reels and Greys rods are my go too brands.

Similarly we probably have brands where we have had bad experiences which reduce, or eliminate the likelihood of buying their products. Again this can be one eyed and based on experiences based in the dim and distant past that probably bear no relevance today. For me, I confess that one experience with one poor quality Shakespeare rod in the early 1970's has stigmatised the brand for me, and I rarely, if ever buy their products. Unreasonable I know, but often emotive decisions defy logic.

theartist

Reaction score
Have to echo S-kippys post as there's nowt much worse than losing confidence in your line.

Drennan floatfish for me as nothing beats it for abrasion resistance

steve2

Reaction score
Never have been one for brand loyalty, use what ever I find suitable for what I am doing. Used Maxima line for years but now switched over to lines from Decathlon stores it’s cheap and works well for me.
Look in my tackle shed and it's a mish mash of every maker going.

B

binka

Which,of course, you will never,ever find and you know it. No angler ever has to have a reason for owning more floats.

Quite right Skip.

Having bought just about every type of float over the years I now seem to be in the early stages of wanting to make every type of float.

I'll hopefully give it a few years yet but suspect it could be the great unfinished project :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Have to echo S-kippys post as there's nowt much worse than losing confidence in your line.

Drennan floatfish for me as nothing beats it for abrasion resistance

Have you, or has anyone, tried the new DFF yet, I've still got a couple of spools of the original but wondered how the 'new' stuff compared...............I see fleabay are selling both.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Have you, or has anyone, tried the new DFF yet, I've still got a couple of spools of the original but wondered how the 'new' stuff compared...............I see fleabay are selling both.

I read somewhere [was it here?] that DFF and Bayer are the same line. Can't believe that as I hate Bayer but quite like DFF.

Not used the new stuff as it [like other lines] seems quite hard to get hold of in the lower bs [like 3.2]. That's something else we can thank bloody carp puddles for !

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
For me it's line and hooks, in the lower breaking strains I like Drennan Float, my mid range line was Fox Soft Steel, on the advise of tigger I now use Sensor, but change it every trip, for the heavier line is Excelon.

Hooks, Owner Circles, Korda Curves or Gardner Mugga's, small hooks- Animal !!

Bob

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
No angler ever has to have a reason for owning more floats.

Particularly when they get lost on a regular basis :eek:mg:

Floatfish line for me, 3.2 or 6lb if there's a chance of something bigger showing up. Kamasan animal hooks, either eyed or to nylon as even the lower strengths (20 to 1.5lb) have proved very reliable. DH floats, wagglers, sticks, Avons and chubbers but I do like to fish with hand made toppers, especially when I know I can't reach the far bank and they won't end up in a tree!

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

seems quite hard to get hold of in the lower bs [like 3.2].

Try Mal Storey S-Kip, I know they sell on ebay, alternatively let me know and I'll bring some to the Itchen