Preston innovation flat back space saver brolly

mikench

Reaction score
Does anyone have this brolly and would you recommend it. I want a neat brolly that will protect from the wind and rain and which will be usable on a peg!

B

binka

I don't have that particular brolly Mike but I've got a sneaky suspicion that this thread will settle on the Korum 50" brolly, it usually comes out tops.

Two things to add...

If you do buy the Korum go for the fibreglass spoked version, not only is it lighter but if (when!) it turns inside out on you the spokes will return to normal unlike metal which sometimes bends.

The other thing is buy a solid power spike.

My old club water had some pretty pokey landing stages and it was fine on these whilst offering a good level of cover...

A couple of threads which will throw more light on the Korum if you're interested...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/359197-umbrella.html

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/358610-umbrella.html

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another for the Korum..............the purchase of a solid spike (if they're not included these days) is a must, they're probably even Binkaproof

B

binka

they're probably even Binkaproof

They're good Jerry, but not that good...

In fairness that was my previous metal spoked one and I had put it up in the middle of a storm with winds that were recorded at well over 90mph :D

B

binka

Must have been bad to blow you off your chair....................;)

It looks like I've had an accident on it but I was pouring me tea at the time, the amazing thing was that the brolly got destroyed from the windward side despite being pegged, guy roped and storm poled down.

If it had been turned inside out by the wind hitting the underneath I could understand it, it was almost worth it just to feel the force :eek:

I was still smoking quite heavy at the time and remember walking back to the car so I could get in and light a fag, thirty seconds back in the wind and the damned thing had burned down to the nub :D

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I will look at both. Your first pic looks like an ideal home set, neat tidy symmetrical, a perfect peg. The rumours about you are clearly untrue;)

I amazed myself yesterday by setting off in the rain, staying at the water in the rain, setting up in the rain and fishing in it!;) I am glad I did! My brolly can be tilted but I remain convinced the thin steel spike will just buckle. Put up vertically in drizzle but with little wind it is fine and at 75 inch diameter it is big but I still get wet.

My wife was convinced I was up to no good!;) " you are still fishing but it's raining":rolleyes:

If the pole is removable how does it stay up??

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
.....My wife was convinced I was up to no good!;) " you are still fishing but it's raining":rolleyes:....

If she is suspicious about your behaviour - DON'T mention the 'guy-roping and pegging' - if she Googles that you could well be in trouble! :eek::eek:mg::D

About the weather - just tell her that "Everyone knows that fishing is better in the rain!":rolleyes: - thus preserving other anglers age-old cover!:eek::D

barbelboi

Reaction score
It looks like I've had an accident on it but I was pouring me tea at the time, the amazing thing was that the brolly got destroyed from the windward side despite being pegged, guy roped and storm poled down.

If it had been turned inside out by the wind hitting the underneath I could understand it, it was almost worth it just to feel the force :eek:

I was still smoking quite heavy at the time and remember walking back to the car so I could get in and light a fag, thirty seconds back in the wind and the damned thing had burned down to the nub :D

Ah, it's obvious now Steve - looking at it draped over the back of the chair you didn't have your seat belt on.....................................;)

B

binka

If the pole is removable how does it stay up??

Where some brollies have an angle tilt, the Korum has a removable pole which re-locates in another, angled thread very near to the top of the inside of the brolly.

This means that the pole is less in your way and you can huddle down further in to stay even drier as more of the canopy covers you :)

mikench

Reaction score
I understand and will have a look and compare it to the Preston and Matrix equivalent.