Reels Any Ideas

thecrow

Reaction score
One of my shimano 5000 gte's has given up the ghost, they owe me nothing as they have been worked very hard for 9 years so I am in the market for some new ones but want a change from shimano's and certainly don't want to be paying more than £50 each for them, they will need to stand up to feeder fishing on the Trent. Any ideas

PS
I have found some Shakespeare Sigma 40 fs for £52 for a pair, I know they are an old model but I am not bothered by that, anyone used them?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Unlucky Graham - my pair of 5000 Aero GTEs' are about 16 years old, used as first choice for all river running lead work and still 100%............

PS Possibly because I only usually use one at a time:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Plenty of Emcasts knocking around Graham, tough as old boots and a nice reel to use imo...

DAIWA EMCAST BR 4000A REEL. c/w Spare Spool. No1 of 2 Listed. Boxed. | eBay

Have you had Emcasts in the past, for some reason I've got it in me head that you have?

I like the looks of those Steve thanks, yes I have had Emcasts in the past but were big pit that I wasn't to impressed with mostly because of the bail arm which I believe was hollow and developed a crack on 2 of them.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

PS Possibly because I only usually use one at a time

Still got one left :) keep the other for spares I think.

Philip

Reaction score
PS
I have found some Shakespeare Sigma 40 fs for £52 for a pair, I know they are an old model but I am not bothered by that, anyone used them?

I have a pair of Shakespheare Sigma 40s so for what its worth …

I have the front drag version. Got them earlier this year, only used one of them so far (used it again this very evening in fact) the other is still in its box.
Basically I took a chance on them as they looked good in the shop and they were on sale at a silly price & I can’t resist a bargain so I brought one. I used it a few times, liked it and so went and got the second one as it was the last one left.

I have been using it for general lead/feeder fishing. They feel really solid, zero play when you juggle is backwards and forwards with the anti reverse off, clutch is very smooth, line lay excellent, line clip however –awful! Not had the line catch behind the rotor yet either so all in all they seems pretty good. Mine also came supplied with both single and double handles so you can choose.

However, the niggling doubt - I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that the bale arm started to stick a little and the bale arm screw has also come loose. I have tightened it up again and it looks ok. The silver trimming has also started to peel away. I hope it’s just cosmetic but I wonder if it’s a sign that the build quality might not be too hot which of course time will tell.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm well impressed by my Wychwood Solace 10s, which have an unburstable, over-engineered feel. Line lay is good and the clutch is sweet. Thay're bigger than the 5000s, though and are closer to 10000s in size, but Wychwood also do a Solace 6. If they're anything like the 10s they'll be a very nice reel.

thecrow

Reaction score
Why the want to move away from Shimano?

Honestly Terry I haven't got a definite reason other than I just fancy a change, although I am sure I have read in a couple of places that the quality of the cheaper shimano's isn't what it was but that might just be in my head or something I dreamed about :)

mikench

Reaction score
I won't recommend a particular reel for obvious reasons but imo nothing is now built to last as it once was whether that be reels or washing machines!

Everything seems to be built down to a price rather than up to a standard!;)

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps, gone with the Daiwa Emcast as suggested by Steve, lets face it if he reckons they are" tough as old boots" they must be nigh on indestructible :D and as I have never been one that is to fussy over how I treat my tackle :eek: they should be just the job. At £44-99 brand new to good to miss out on.

mikench

Reaction score
Very good! Is that the Emcast or the Black Widow? The price you got for the former looks very competitive!

thecrow

Reaction score
Received the reels today and they feel very nice, thanks for the spot Steve.

Just one thing I had to put the double handle on didn't like the single at all :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Received the reels today and they feel very nice, thanks for the spot Steve.

Just one thing I had to put the double handle on didn't like the single at all :D

Oh dear.......another victim of clever marketing. :D

Good reels. I nearly had one meself but had another RegalZ while they were still around. Single handle mind !

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Oh dear.......another victim of clever marketing. :D

Good reels. I nearly had one meself but had another RegalZ while they were still around. Single handle mind !

I thought that you might comment :) the reason I changed them was because the plastic handle on the single felt to big in the fingers honest :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
I thought that you might comment :) the reason I changed them was because the plastic handle on the single felt to big in the fingers honest :D

Tell him it's also pearlescent white and really p1ss him off........................;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

I know exactly what you mean. Some handles just aren't right. I've got used to my Regal Z's but I have a couple of Excellers whose handles I've never ever got used to.

Last edited: