Sunday match tactics

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all ...

Bit of a blag for assistance really .

I have the Last Comp of the Year for the club Sunday morning now given that 1 the pool is quite low water level right now and 2 the temps are dropping i am thinking deep area and feeder to try and entice a few fish to have a nibble the normal tactic on there is float fished dead depth but as it will be around 2c when we draw pegs and the same for lines in i dont think shallow will work your thoughts please folks ..

Thanks

PG ...

Chefster

Reaction score
Evening all ...

Bit of a blag for assistance really .

I have the Last Comp of the Year for the club Sunday morning now given that 1 the pool is quite low water level right now and 2 the temps are dropping i am thinking deep area and feeder to try and entice a few fish to have a nibble the normal tactic on there is float fished dead depth but as it will be around 2c when we draw pegs and the same for lines in i dont think shallow will work your thoughts please folks ..

Thanks

PG ...
What makes you think,just chucking a feeder out into "deep water" will work??.what are you fishing for?carp or skimmers/roach etc? what are the specifics of the pool,any features?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
What makes you think,just chucking a feeder out into "deep water" will work??.what are you fishing for?carp or skimmers/roach etc? what are the specifics of the pool,any features?

Well this is what i am trying to discover if it would work .. bieng more into float than any other form of fishing the species in the pool are

Roach Perch Carp Bream Tench Chub Crucians & a few other not identified ( hubrids of some form probably).

The reason for asking is as i said we are LOW in water like almost 18 inches down so what was 3 feet or so is now next to nothing and with the temp dropping thinking the fish would hide out in the deeper bits still around 4 to 5 feet of water but not east to fish with light float gear because of tree debris in the water so thinking maybe feeder and somewhat heaver gear might give me a chance of doing some good ..

As for features a small island just off centre of a bowl shaped pool some over hanging bushes here and there but with the low water they are out of play and mainly around the pegs we cant fish because of the water level right now .

PG ...

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
If its cold and clear,a straight forward bomb setup with hair rigged bread discs(10mm),which will naturally pop up is a good technique for bigger fish....roach and perch,and skimmers,will feed in most conditions in most depths,maggots probably best as they are an indiscriminate bait,that will catch"everything" in cold weather....personally unless i wanted to sit it out for one or two fish to win the match,i would fish pole,as light as possible,i could get away with,and fish for bites,feeding very little...hard to really give advice without knowing your water..If a feeder usually works,then do that..Gazza

rayner

Reaction score
Go as light as you dare with hook lengths and small hooks light elastic or a soft rod.
Fish for silvers with frugal feeding. Bonus fish can still be landed.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evenig all

Well fished the match came 3rd

the fish were not feeding at all tried all sorts the interesting part is the guys fishing pole all blanked .

Rod & Reel ruled the roost today ..
Bloody cold it was as well .

Oh and it started to Sleet to top it all .

PG ...