The National Fishing Club

theartist

Reaction score
Imagine instead of compulsory licence fees and voluntary angling trust donations there was one subscription to a national body that catered only for angling - a bit like the RSPB does for birds.

All pollution issues would still be tackled and all other funds would go to improving angling and procuring venues as part of a national club scheme. Struggling local club waters could be subsidised and incorporated into a national ticket along with purchased waters along the way. Think of a national ticket where there was 100 different stretches of river and stillwaters around the land so everyone had options that were local.

Add to this the free waters and day ticket waters being maintained better using the extra funds with regular full time bailiffing and restocking policies. With better free venues there would be more kids as that's where most of us started back in the day.

Would we pay more if there was more back in return? I think we would but would it work, what do you think?

greenie62

Reaction score
? Like a cross between C&RT, ATr, London AA, Brum AA & PAAS? :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea but I suspect the tree huggers and other lobbies would not agree. Many people still think fishing is cruel and organisations like The RSPB (and others like it) are charities designed to promote ,protect and preserve birds or animals etc. Hunting or trapping are not promoted!

The other vested interests would have their own agendas. The EA needs to do more and get the message across that the licence fees we pay keep our waterways and lakes in good health which includes towpaths used by ramblers and cyclists who do not pay!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Imagine instead of compulsory licence fees and voluntary angling trust donations there was one subscription to a national body that catered only for angling - a bit like the RSPB does for birds.

All pollution issues would still be tackled and all other funds would go to improving angling and procuring venues as part of a national club scheme. Struggling local club waters could be subsidised and incorporated into a national ticket along with purchased waters along the way. Think of a national ticket where there was 100 different stretches of river and stillwaters around the land so everyone had options that were local.

Add to this the free waters and day ticket waters being maintained better using the extra funds with regular full time bailiffing and restocking policies. With better free venues there would be more kids as that's where most of us started back in the day.

Would we pay more if there was more back in return? I think we would but would it work, what do you think?

Sounds good to me, I have long advocated a better way must exist.

thecrow

Reaction score
One that had nothing to do with government either directly or indirectly as we have now would be nice :)

Those running such an organisation should be elected by anglers (very easy to do online) every 2 years instead of self elected and how about my mate as we have now.

I would pay more if this was ever to come about, elections would ensure that anglers had a say, bit different from now where one lot listens and does nothing while the others just continue to put publicity shots out.

Unfortunately its never going to happen, those already in the seats are happy with it how it is and would resist any change. It would be interesting though as it would show who really had angling interests at heart :rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One that had nothing to do with government either directly or indirectly as we have now would be nice :)

Those running such an organisation should be elected by anglers (very easy to do online) every 2 years instead of self elected and how about my mate as we have now.

I would pay more if this was ever to come about, elections would ensure that anglers had a say, bit different from now where one lot listens and does nothing while the others just continue to put publicity shots out.

Unfortunately its never going to happen, those already in the seats are happy with it how it is and would resist any change. It would be interesting though as it would show who really had angling interests at heart :rolleyes:

There's quite a few ideas I have mooted on here going back many years Crow, both in your idea and the original post. Always put down, not a problem but I realized there is no appetite for any change, everyone wants to keep things as they are; failing club membership, youngsters not taking it up, a struggling representative body etc and thats the way it will continue.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I agree with Mark G.
Everyone wants to keep things the same. I certainly do.
We have a group called the Angling Trust, I want nothing to do with them.
They have an hoard of volunteers but the men at the top are well paid. A good move for those making a good living.
I refuse to become a member of any club, I've been there and had enough of organised angling.
As for as I'm concerned all for one and one for none.

B

binka

I would happily pay more to gain more and I think it's a great ideal but it just won't pan out that way imo.

A National Fishing Club would in theory have enviable sums of money in the coffers if you take into consideration license fees, club fees etc. all melted into one pot but I fear it would result in certain venues and stretches being crowded out whilst others barely see an angler.

Add in the legal complexities of buying rights to waters which are currently private and I'm not even sure of the financial benefits although I would trust elected officials, in terms of accountability, far more than those who are running the show in the Environment Agency at the moment.

theartist

Reaction score
I would happily pay more to gain more and I think it's a great ideal but it just won't pan out that way imo.

A National Fishing Club would in theory have enviable sums of money in the coffers if you take into consideration license fees, club fees etc. all melted into one pot but I fear it would result in certain venues and stretches being crowded out whilst others barely see an angler.

Add in the legal complexities of buying rights to waters which are currently private and I'm not even sure of the financial benefits although I would trust elected officials, in terms of accountability, far more than those who are running the show in the Environment Agency at the moment.

I agree totally and thought i'd put it out there because of the recent posts about fishing being banned, no kids coming through, Ea funding, pollution, otters and human predation.

My original title was going to be 'Is the EA failing us?' Maybe that's a more pertinent question