Worms

mikench

Reaction score
Going to try them this week properly! How do you stop the little b****** from wriggling all over the place. I tried to hair rig one with a bait stop and gave up in the end!

I think I am too genteel for worms!;)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Where you can use them, barbed hooks help. Where barbed hooks can't be used, small pieces of elastic bands can work.

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot use barbed hooks! I have some small bait bands which I sometimes attach to the hook itself. They may keep the worm on the hook!

kevt

Reaction score
Hi

Try using Drennan Quick stops with the needle applicator, you can put a long hair on and then thread the worm on or even break it into two halves

Look on Youtube for "Steve Ringer's Amazing Worm Tactics"

Regards

KevT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you targeting a particular species? What size hook are you using?

robtherake

Reaction score
That's a good point. Plus, unless all your worms are the same size you'll need to change hook size to suit every so often, assuming the worm's hooked directly.
I generally use a soft rubber maggot to keep the worm in place for direct hooking - even on barbed hooks, where it ensures that enough hook's still exposed.

Several pieces of worm around an inch long can be hair-rigged successfully on a quickstop, spearing each through the middle. For this presentation it's worth incorporating a small rubber stop on the hair to prevent the worm segments sliding back and catching the hook, as they are wont to do. The Drennan Grippa stops work well with this set-up, with the blunt end facing the bait.

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
I love worms (or maybe from the worm's point of view, hate them). One of my favourite baits.

Probably my favourite way to hook them is as shown here in binka's post in this thread (4th post down). Cut in half or nip a piece off and thread onto the hook. Works a treat.

Also as some others have mentioned, you can do basically the same thing with a hair rig with a push stop attached and use one of these to push it up the body cavity and out through the side. Again works a treat.

If you are targeting perch then you can also use a bigger worm hook with a whole or part of a lob. And don't forget some chop; sacrifice some of your worms, chop them into small bits (worm scissors help) mix with some ground bait, soil and a dash of that red predator liquid stuff. Feed that for a bit (careful not to overfeed) and fish your worm over the top.

chrissh

Reaction score
I use enterprise worm stops on barbless hooks they hold well
571.JPG

View image in gallery

mikench

Reaction score
I am out for whatever I can catch! If my fingers are not numb I will try pieces of worm threaded on the hook. Thanks for your helpful comments!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
probably a bit late for you Mike but I use two different methods for worms (and I'm talking about lob worms here)... when I want a very fine presentation, I cut the worm in half, then i'll push a baiting needle in to the worm (about half way along the half-section) and out of the cut end; then i'll use the baiting needle to pull a size 16 in to the cut end and then out aapprox half way along, so that half of the worm is threaded on the line and half sits below. Worked really well for me on lakes whilst float fishing, great for perch and bream but surprisingly effective for bigger roach too.

If presentation isn't the be-all-and-end-all, i'll use a size 12 or 10 hook, then cut a lob worm in half and just hook the worm on, always on the cut end. Then I cut a very small section out of a red elastic band and use that as a "keeper" pushed on and over the hookpoint to ensure they don't wriggle off. Great for big chub - and no need to hair rig, so easy to change to breadflake or paste should you so wish.

Incidentally, how did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I plan to try worms again on thursday. I now understand how the bit of rubber band works! Sam Vimes made the same suggestion and i couldn't figure it out; i am so thick sometimes! I bought some worms last week which look ok. I am sure they are lobworms or garden worms as i call them.

I plan to float fish unless it is windy!

B

binka

It's interesting to hear all the variations of hooking worms, I'm quite a simpleton when it comes to hooking large lobs.

I still use a barbless hook and go in with something like a size 6 for a big lob on or near the saddle, thread a good length of the worm around the shank and exit the hook bend and point around half way down the worm.

You can see from the first picture where the hook has gone in and where the line is then coming away from it...

The whole worm then sits nicely with the hook at halfway point...

Works for me :)

rayner

Reaction score
I use a lot of worms Mike. I grant you mostly through the summer.
I never hair them, I use a baiting needle made from a sewing needle. Just brake the eye of the needle half way down. Best done with two pair of forceps, one to hold the needle at the point you want it to brake, one to hold the end of the eye you want to brake off.
To mount the worm put your hook in the V of the half eye then push the hook down the worm through a broken end so all the hook is covered.
It's easier than it sounds. The worm will never get off.
Better still get on the punch.

mikench

Reaction score
I will do my best this week and tell all! I have never had any success with bread but that is probably down to me. I am always worried that the bread has come off and usually it has!:)

rayner

Reaction score
I will do my best this week and tell all! I have never had any success with bread but that is probably down to me. I am always worried that the bread has come off and usually it has!:)

Mike when you use a bread punch it can't come off, well not in my experience anyway.
Prepare your liquidised bread and use fresh for the hook. Fish may be small but for me a fish is a fish.
Don't discount worms but there are other baits.

PS you need smaller punches for roach than the GURU jobs, they're OK for carp.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Do you microwave the slice and then roll it with a rolling pin before using a punch. As you could expect i have a set of Drennen punches and the Guru bread container and punches:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Mike I suspect you have punches for everything.
As for microwaving or rolling I don't bother. I know lots of people advocate microwave or steaming then rolling but if you get fresh bread for the hook then it's plenty doughy enough without any thing done to it.
One proviso is that your punches compress the fresh bread.
If your bread is not fresh enough or too deep cut then 10 or 15 seconds blast will make it better.