Float or Tip

mikench

Reaction score
When i fished as a lad it was always with a float. On resuming my fishing antics this year i again started and persisted with a float. Many months on and having improved I can honestly say i now prefer the tip.

I waxed lyrically in earlier posts about watching a float disappear and also when your tip moves 90 degrees. On balance it is the latter that now really brings a smile to my face, how about you?:)

The first little knock just as you pick up the flask, followed by a twitch and a vibration down the rod arm on the chair and then just as you are about to pour your coffee, the rod, rest and arm move 90 degrees hitting your leg and causing your coffee to go all over your bait table and bait! B***** marvelous and so exciting! I am hooked:rolleyes:

B

binka

I've got to say that it's still the float that does it for me.

Not to say that I don't feel that rush when a tip pulls round (or wallops over on the river) and i'll often fish the float when the tip would be a better option, purely for the enjoyment I get from it.

It hasn't always been the case but these days if I catch fewer fish by means of a way that I enjoy more then it makes for a better day for me :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, for me it is whatever works best on the given day.

Both have their place when conditions dictate but for sheer excitement then the float has the edge for me, every time. to watch as there is a slight settling or halting in the flow and then an almost imperceptible dip or two before descending into the depths never ceases to stir my blood.

mikench

Reaction score
I feel exactly the same Peter about both but so far when i lift the rod on the tip there is usually a fish on the end which isn't always the case with a float!

I love both but the tip edges it at the moment for the reasons stated!:)

bracket

Reaction score
I am now happy with either method. Having fished the Trent since childhood, I am first and foremost a floatman. However, whilst match fishing during the 1970's I got that peed off keep getting banjo-ed by guys, who didn't even own a float, fishing the feeder in the next peg, I had to change with the times. I bit the bullet and from then on only fished the feeder, until I learnt it, through and through. Now I'm satisfied with my competence levels using both methods and choose which ever one the peg suits, or conversely the one I prefer to fish on the day. Pete.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I don't enjoy fishing the tip and will do almost anything to avoid it, including blanking.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I get an equal kick from a float disappearing, a tip pulling round, my rod hooping right over,the slow rise of a bobbin,the line going solid when I'm fishing for trite or nearly getting me arm pulled off when a sea trout hits a fly hard.

I couldn't honestly say I preferred one over any of the others.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A bite on any method is equally pleasing. As much as I like float fishing, I will leger when it's more appropriate to do so, usually when conditions dictate. However, I'm not much good at proper tip fishing (forget barbelling and method feeder work, neither count), I'd sooner use bobbins as indicators on stillwaters. I have more faith in being able to tell what's going on with bobbins.

robtherake

Reaction score
Braid (where it's allowed) makes stillwater quivertip fishing so much more interesting, turning half-inch tweaks into confident pulls and giving a better read on what's happening under the water. In conjunction with a Polaris-style butt indicator it shows activity - which may well be backwash from browsing fish - before the bite occurs.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Float legerings a good compromise.

Philip

Reaction score
Either for me. Depends on my mood. Some days I like to sit behind a tip, others I like to watch a float.

Funny thing is its almost like I have been brainwashed from an early age that float caught fish are somehow better or more meritable.

And dare I even THINK about putting a backstop behind a ledger ...well thats paramount to cheating. ;)

xenon

Reaction score
think if i ever get bored with seeing a float disappear-with all the myriad ways it can do that-will be time to give up fishing.

peterjg

Reaction score
Questions for those that quivertip with braid (I have never used it).

Do you use a nylon shock leader with braid?

If not, do you get many tangles?

Which braid make and what breaking strain would you recommend for general use?

Does using braid damage rod ring liners?

If no nylon shock leader is used have any of your fish been damaged in any way?

Your findings and experience will be much appreciated, thanks.

PS: I've gone off the subject a bit but braid was mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot use braid on any of my waters and don't. I do for seafishing but i cannot say i like the stuff!