On arriving home.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
After a hard days fishing, do you have a fixed routine.

In my own case being a lure angler of long standing fishing gear has been whittled down to the minimum. So a mountain of gear is not a consideration as mobility plays a key role. However one constant is that I always arrive home exhausted. After a quick shower and a change of clothes and a meal, all I really want to do is flop into my chair and unwind with a good book, unless Mrs G has chosen a film for us to watch.

But what about you guys who's fishing dictates a full complement of tackle and baits, keep nets etc. What's your routine on arrival home?

seth49

Reaction score
Now I've got the time I unload the car into two lots, rod hold-all, tackle bag,and the bag that has had my flask etc in, they go in the hallway, ready to go up to my room after.

Trolley, chair, and bait bags go in the shed, nets swilled of and hung up to dry, any maggots etc in fridge in other shed, bait boxes washed and put to dry.
Check through bait that there's nothing to spoil,bin any empty tins,and food wrappers.check theirs no bits of tackle in wrong place.

Put the stuff in my room together with any coats etc,over trousers hung in shed,together with boots or wellies.

Then a shower something to eat,and then sit down with a large drink to watch the television.

mikench

Reaction score
my wife would dispute Derek that a days fishing can be called hard! If i am not going again the following day or days I will empty the car, clean my landing net and unhooking mat, refill any small bait/pellet containers, throw away old hooks, line and rubbish brought back, empty my flask and then pour myself a glass of wine!

I always do it in that order. I cannot leave a mess and must have everything in its rightful place. My wife is the opposite which is probably why she married me!;) I probably have a disorder of some kind like compulsive obsessive or just plain nerdishness:rolleyes:

I am too old to change now!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Tea...lots and lots and lots of hot, sweet, fresh tea. Then the gear gets sorted & tidied, bait boxes washed,nets & mat etc in the garden & everything else put away.

Then and only then will I sit down and think about having a bite to eat. Its usually late so that may well just be some toast.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My routine is same as it has been for years and years.

Unload the car, empty all bait boxes and bowls, and get them washed and dried.

Towels and other clothing goes into the wash and reels and rods wiped down and put away.

My flasks are washed and left to dry, as are my sarnie boxes.
I tend to use plastic forks and spoons so those are thrown away when at home together with any rubbish from the day, which I keep in a plastic bag.

Nets are hosed down and left to air dry outside and chair/seat box wiped down and cleaned.

I make a little list of anything that got lost or wrecked during the day for replacement later and any left over bait is cleaned, riddled and put in the bait 'fridge, or just thrown away if not looking too good.

Many might say that I am a little O.C.D. about my fishing gear, but then I never get any nasty surprised on the bank.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Most of my fishing opportunities are relatively unplanned in that I don't know I'm going until just beforehand. Therefore it's usually gear kept in the car that gets used and all too often left there on return. Not the right and proper way to do it but means I can take advantage of my chances when they come.
I have an aversion to routine anyway.

rayner

Reaction score
I always follow the same routine.
Boots, bib an brace off then upstairs for a shower in summer or bath in winter
Luckily my wife is my saviour, she clears all my tackle away nets outside then shifts my clothes.
I am definitely molly coddled.

john step

Reaction score
Unload car. Any wet gear/clothing hangs in garage to dry.
Nets hung out to dry when rain stops.
Left over bait put back in bait freezer.
Worm tub left on cool garage floor.

Flask handed through window for sandwich maker to wash.

Bath. Many cups of tea whilst sandwich maker cooks meal.

Telly. Exhaustion and bed.

Hard life aint it.:D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
After a hard days fishing, do you have a fixed routine.

In my own case being a lure angler of long standing fishing gear has been whittled down to the minimum. So a mountain of gear is not a consideration as mobility plays a key role. However one constant is that I always arrive home exhausted. After a quick shower and a change of clothes and a meal, all I really want to do is flop into my chair and unwind with a good book, unless Mrs G has chosen a film for us to watch.

But what about you guys who's fishing dictates a full complement of tackle and baits, keep nets etc. What's your routine on arrival home?

Derek,

Unload car, put away the unused bait, Wash the flask out, throw away any food wrappings I brought home, put away the fishing tackle, wash down the unhooking mat, weigh sling, keepnet if it has been used.

If it's been raining, I put up the umbrella in the garage to dry and leave it overnight.

Quick Wash, have any food the Mrs has made me, bath if I'm not too tired, go to bed.

Sort any tackle breakages or modification the following morning.

Bob

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
First up unload gear from car. Transfer rubbish bag to bin and Thermos to kitchen sink. Bait to bait fridge. Next up is usually something to eat and a coffee. I then need to gather my thoughts about the session for entry into my fishing diary. This can sometimes be a real pain to do if i am shattered or it was just an uneventful session, but looking back the rewards are there as a record of what worked or didnt work and when and under what conditions etc.

B

binka

Almost without exception everything goes back in its proper place in the garage as soon as I get home, occasionally I might pour a pint before I start but I'm too OCD to rest knowing that stuff is out of place :eek:mg:

It's good practice really, I can see at a glance if anything needs attention and everything's ready to pick for the next session, few of which seem to be the same gear on back to back occasions.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Almost without exception everything goes back in its proper place in the garage as soon as I get home, occasionally I might pour a pint before I start but I'm too OCD to rest knowing that stuff is out of place :eek:mg:

It's good practice really, I can see at a glance if anything needs attention and everything's ready to pick for the next session, few of which seem to be the same gear on back to back occasions.

This would be after every last speck of mud, pie and general tom tit has been pressure washed off the gear and its all been dried, polished, oiled and re-proofed.

I know you find the thought of a bit of mud on your banksticks very scary, Steve but it wont affect your catch rate and no one's ever been arrested for it. ;)

B

binka

It's not as much the sight of mud that does me Skip so much as the thought of carting the extra weight around :p

Thanks for reminding me of what the weekend will have in store! :D

peterjg

Reaction score
The first thing I always do when getting back from fishing is apologise to the wife for being late .....

thecrow

Reaction score
When I get back I drive up on the path to the front of the bungalow and the wife always comes out to empty the car with me, if I have been out all day I am usually a bit knackered, once the car is emptied I empty any rubbish from my bag freeze any left over bait then into the shower and that's me done for the rest of the day, tackle gets looked at next day.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I always give my hands a good wash first. Fussy about that, its always tempting to make a cup of tea and a sandwich but I don't like the thought of what might be on my hands before I touch anything else.
Tackle wise its pretty simple, I don't carry much gear, the least possible, grab and go and most of it stays in the bag, old bait chucked, cloths and the landing net get chucked in a plastic bin with some bleach and they get rinsed out later and that's it more or less, when dry they get put back ready for next time. more or less done.
I know about the sleepy thing, often tired (depending), but all that fresh air and concentration can make you pretty tired.

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Straight from fishing to pub, quick pint, back home remove landing net and maggot/worms, former in the garden, latter in fridge. Bath, Sunday dinner and probably another couple of cans. Tackle removed from car next morning to garage. Any sorting, cleaning usually waits until Saturday afternoon as I'm very unlikely to be fishing until Sunday

bracket

Reaction score
In my match fishing days I had a fixed routine. First the bait was returned to the fridge. The gear stored in the garage and nets put out to dry. In doors it was a shower, shave and a shampoo followed by a complete change of clothes. Then me and my Lady would be off out. If I had won any coin, it would be a meal first and then the pub. If not, than down the pub, followed by a fish and chip supper and so to bed. If it be on a Saturday the whole process would be repeated on the Sunday. Nowadays I don't match fish but the routine is pretty much the same. Pete.

Last edited: