Bib and brace

mikench

Reaction score
Which is recommended to provide cold and wet protection in the winter over a pair of jeans and thermals. They must look smart however as I have a reputation to uphold!;)

Chefster

Reaction score
Which is recommended to provide cold and wet protection in the winter over a pair of jeans and thermals. They must look smart however as I have a reputation to uphold!;)
I just bought the Maver match this bib and brace,from sports direct,half price at £35,very smart:D
Forgot to add,i always wear a pair of waterproof trousers over the bib and brace,as when unhooking fish in the landing net on your lap during a match,water can soak through most bib and braces after a while

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Do you want them to fit over wellies as well? Some have lower leg closures (usually Velcro flaps) to enable this - some are more fitted and won't!

IF you wear waders - for river roving - you might want to think again - maybe a pair of chest waders may be more suitable:eek:.

Prices range dramatically from £140 Drennan Quilted Waterproof Bib & Brace | NWAC down to £45 Preston Innovations Dri Fish Bib & Brace | NWAC

I got a Prologic 'suit' a couple of years ago in a half-price sale at NWAC - about £70. Only complaint is that sometimes it's too bl**dy warm!

B

binka

I've had a Wychwood Epic for a while now and would recommend it, nice and comfortable to wear too.

I think most of them are good nowadays, if you stumble on a bargain like Gaz did it's usually well worth nailing whichever make they are.

john step

Reaction score
You can buy very expensive and heavily insulated bib and braces. You will be stuck with cooking in them. There will be days when you want a set to wear to keep the chill out but the conditions are not artic. There will be no leeway.

I find a mid range thermal better with the option to add long johns for really cold weather. Ditch the jeans and go for a loose pair of jogging bottoms.

You can then mix and match the amount of layers to suit the day.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'm with John on the jogging bottoms.My bib n brace are getting on now and not sure they are available anymore.
Made by Leeda , its the outer nylon that I prefer over the more fashionable "soft feel" outer material so popular today, easy to clean of any mud, slime, groundbait, goo etx that seems to end up as some blackened cakey mess on the soft feel ones.
If anyone knows of a place that trades them I would appreciate their wherabouts.

slaphead

Reaction score
I bought a Theseus suit from Fishing Republic and have found it just the job.

It wipes clean easily and so far has kept me warm and toasty for just £60 quid.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have a pair of fleece lined waterproofs but thought a bib and brace may be more comfortable over normal trousers/jeans/joggers and not ride up so that your back is cold! I may be wrong and that a bib may not add anything! I certainly do not want the wear these and have to have trousers over the top!

I wear Muck boots so would want them to either go over or inside and I do not mind which. I will have a look for a bargain and try some if I can try some on.

I tend to use an unhooking mat thus avoiding holding a wet net in my lap.

Thanks again!

greenie62

Reaction score
...I wear Muck boots so would want them to either go over or inside and I do not mind which......

:eek: DON'T tuck them inside boots!
Rain will run down into your socks and soak your feet! Not nice! :eek::eek:mg:
- unless you get waterproof gaiters as well! :eek:

B

binka

thought a bib and brace may be more comfortable over normal trousers/jeans/joggers and not ride up so that your back is cold! I may be wrong and that a bib may not add anything!

You're right Mike it will help a lot in the lower back area and should keep you nice and toasty... You should notice quite a difference.

Seconded what has already been said about looser fitting clothing underneath such as joggers instead of jeans, something so that a warm air layer can build up and trap which might be a consideration on the sizing you go for to allow a little extra, you can always pick up a cheap pair for warmer weather if you want to and...

You could always down a vindaloo and a mucky pint the night before a session, that will keep the air warm enough! :D

mikench

Reaction score
Greenie I am sat here about to go fishing and the heavens have opened and it looks like 6.00am so I will stay put in the warm. You make a good point though and I will get a bib and brace that goes over my boots. Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

I do that already Steve!!:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think the very best out there are the Preston Drifish - both the bib and brace and the ¾ length jacket to fit over them.

It is not the cheapest option but then the best is rarely ever cheap . . . . on the very coldest days I wear a Preston fleece underneath and thermal long johns and never really feel the cold at all.

mikench

Reaction score
You may well gave persuaded me Peter; I will have a look!

The forecast today said cloudy but it is tippling down. I will tolerate the rain when I am all set up or if it is mere drizzle but not from the off! Am I a wuss? Rhetorical question!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You may well gave persuaded me Peter; I will have a look!

The forecast today said cloudy but it is tippling down. I will tolerate the rain when I am all set up or if it is mere drizzle but not from the off! Am I a wuss? Rhetorical question!

I spent ages looking around before lashing out for the Prestons.

I can honestly say that even in a downpour I have never got wet in the Drifish and it is nice and warm too.

As for being a "wuss," well, I have yet to see what the prize is for being the coldest or wettest angler on the bank might be, other than a lousy cold or flu.

seth49

Reaction score
Have a look at the korum thermal suit as well, bib and brace, and long jacket,
Really warm and dry,have fished in heavy rain and gales all day in these.
I can live with being to warm, it's the cold I don't like.:)

B

binka

Have a look at the korum thermal suit as well, bib and brace, and long jacket,
Really warm and dry,have fished in heavy rain and gales all day in these.
I can live with being to warm, it's the cold I don't like.:)

My mate bought those last winter and more often than not is taking the jacket off on winter days, he really rates it.

rayner

Reaction score
I have a Sundridge bib and brace that I use in cold weather, it's very warm.
I've had it for 5 or 6yrs it's a bit grubby now but still waterproof and very warm. You couldn't call it light weight but the weight isn't noticeable when it's on.
I got it from Calcotts after their shop flooded in the big flood. It was £30 then, I don't know the real price as it was sold at a discount.
I don't wear any thermal trews just normal light trousers I wear year round.

Richox12

Reaction score
I just bought the Maver match this bib and brace,from sports direct,half price at £35,very smart:D
Forgot to add,i always wear a pair of waterproof trousers over the bib and brace,as when unhooking fish in the landing net on your lap during a match,water can soak through most bib and braces after a while

OMG - if you have to wear trousers OVER you B&B to keep you dry then your B&B is rubbish !!!