Only a short break !

richiec

Reaction score
Thought I'd best say Hi before I start picking peoples brains !

Just returned to coarse fishing after a break of over 30 years, used to fish in and around the Bristol and Somerset area as a teen then motorbikes, cars, girls and work came along. Just bought myself a complete outfit on ebay and am now getting back up to speed - and "obviously" treating myself to some extra bits'n'bobs including a nice Abu 506 - I used to love that series of reels.

A lot appears to have changed, I recall poles were just coming in from the continent, Ivan Marks ( Marks & Marlow ?) and Ian Heaps were names I recall, carp fishing was Richard Walker, major Bream waters were The Shannon and the Huntspill ?

Hoping to get out and try the many various waters around North Somerset / Bridgwater.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Richie and Welcome to FishingMagic . . . . . #

We have a few members down your way too so maybe they can offer advice and venues for you.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Fish still eat what they always have done enabling us to catch them.
Tight lines.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Richie,
Welcome to the mad-house!
We seem to be attracting a lot of 'returners' - most of whom seem to be mad-keen to get back in the game. Some of the terminology may be new/changed - don't be afraid to ask questions! - there's no such thing as a poor question here - but you might find there's some answers better than others!:D
Tight Lines :thumbs:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Richie, I've not long returned too after a forty year break! Interesting you mention the Abu reel, shows how good it was and still is.

Gear has changed but the fish haven't, apart from the fact that catching a carp isn't quite the red letter day it once was back in the day.

theartist

Reaction score
Welcome Richie, you have some great rivers in your area still, especially the little ones that will get you a few bites this time of year.

robtherake

Reaction score
Howdo, Richie, and welcome. Lots has changed since you've been away, and nothing. There's more paraphernalia than you can shake a stick at, these days - some good, some bad, most just adding to the confusion. Reels are generally superior, with better, smoother drags and silky-smooth retrieve. The jury's out on more modern rods, with carbon rods of thirty years old, made with the very best materials, matching or surpassing their more modern equivalents in the right situation. However, there's never been a better time for budget gear and it's possible to kit yourself out on the cheap without making too many compromises.

Despite all the modern gimmickry, all the old fish-catching ruses still work in the same way. You'll be up to speed in no time. Enjoy.:)

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Richie and Welcome to Fishing Magic … don’t get take in by all the different baits .maggots .casters worm.bread still catch fish … the Shannon not what used to be?