Maxima Chameleon

mikench

Reaction score
What is the difference,if any,between normal Chameleon and Chameleon one plus ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Might be worth a link or two so people get an idea what you are talking about. Beyond colour differences (brown, clear, red, ultragreen, hi-viz etc), the only Maxima variations I've encountered has been the size of the spools (one shot, maxi etc).

rayner

Reaction score
I don't know of other lines I only use Chameleon.
I've used it for years and it has never let me down.

mikench

Reaction score
Sam I should have said One shot and it does relate to spool size and nothing else. I must be losing the plot!

Will try some I think!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam I should have said One shot and it does relate to spool size and nothing else. I must be losing the plot!

Will try some I think!

One shot is simply that it is intended to fill a spool in one go.

Mini pack = 110 yards
One Shot = 220/250/280 yards (depending on breaking strain)
Service Spools = 2000/2300/2630/3300 yards
Maxi Spools = 660 yards

Chameleon : Maxima Fishing Line

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Blooming heck. I was using this in 1966.

If its the one with multi coloured appearance including a nice pink.....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember using chameleon and I did wonder why it was called chameleon? It was a sort of purpley colour, so not exactly camo lol. It was quite thick and didn't seem as strong as was suggested on the spool. I remember tying 8lb chameleon directly to 6lb sensor via several different knots (uni to uni being my favourite) and I thought the 6lb sensor would have made a decent hooklength, being lower diameter and of a lesser B/S. Anyhow everytime I pulled slowly the chameleon would snap off above the knot!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Sam. I can definately remember it.

It was multi coloured and Maxima line.

Maybe one of the other old duffers can remember it as well.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sounds like something in ladies underwear............oft seen in Soho many moons ago..

I have tried many lines and in the end I've come back to Maxima for my reel lines.....Always reliable and has never let me down, although possibly slightly thicker than the stated diameter and possibly better than the stated breaking strain.

I rarely see less than 2,5lb bs in the shops, but I have bought 2 and 1,5lb bs online.

Note that I say 'possibly' as I have no idea if this is true or not, and probably picked up on FM, I shouldn't wonder.............

Hook lengths a different matter entirely..

seth49

Reaction score
I can remember using that multi coloured line, I just can't remember who made it or what it was called, it was a long time ago.
Possibly FOG ?.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There was a truly awful multicoloured line - mostly blue, clear and pink/red as I recall - called either Amalon or Amarlon; it wasn't long on the market, no matter how cheap (possibly 1966-8) - and it was cheap. Only PVA or plaited slug-slime could have been less use.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Thinking about it, I wonder if the original maxima chameleon was the multi coloured one, the name would make sense if it was too blend in with the bottom.and then for some reason it was changed to the brown colour ?.