A few questions...

nichalex

Reaction score
Hi guys, my fouverate lake has been close for two weeks as it has been stocked with 200 kg of roach and 40kg of black bass. I have only fished for carp there. I haven't predictor fished but I am tempted as a BIG pike bite a bream I hooked .
Now it has been restocked with bait fish are the pike, bass, zander going to be hungery ?
Another question : I ordered a spod online, but the strings look customerable : two of four the strands are tied and they all look too long. What length do you recommended and are 4 strands better then 2 ?
It's it possible to target carp and the big predators on the same line ? I did think about using prawns but I do not want a perch... Or maybe a boillie on a hair rig on the bottom, and live bait on a helicopter and float ... but is it fish friendly ?

Last edited:

fins

Reaction score
Lots of questions in the same post, I'll try and answer one or two. You can fish for carp and predators at the same time, however I have found that it's better to concentrate on doing one thing well than lots of things badly. As the weather cools I would try for the predators and when it warms I would try for the carp.
The pike are going to feast up on the introduced bait fish, probably more so if they came from a fish farm rather than from another venue with predators, either way they are going to get thinned out a bit as they get used to their new home.

keora

Reaction score
Looking at your previous posts I understand you live in France.

You say you're considering fishing for predators but prefer pike to perch. You could use a carp rod to fish for pike. You will have to fish with a wire trace so the pike don't bite through the line. You'll need pike floats which are bigger than those used for other coarse fish. Baits could be deadbaits ( sprats, sardines) or live fish, but I don't know what rules you have to follow in France.

An alternative is to buy a spinning rod, about 9ft long and fish with lures such as spoons, spinners or jigs.

Try these links for more information.

Pike Fishing Fundamentals | Pike Anglers Club

Lure Fishing Basics | Pike Anglers Club

Trace & Rig Basics | Pike Anglers Club

In the middle of winter, pike don't feed as much as in warm weather, so you may not get many takes during a day's fishing.

nichalex

Reaction score
The thing is that I want to target the predators which are bass, zander and pike, there are not many perch. The zander and pike are going to hard to catch on a lure as they are heavily fished. But the bass are new stock and are going to be fished for the first time this Saturday. I got the imprssion on this forum that live baiting is an effective technique. I don't mind perch but I don't think they could move a 4oz lead and so will "hog" the hook

This saterday, I will only be fish with a lure for the bass. But for the future, I had this rig in mind : https://goo.gl/photos/hhqHCXuWVAxVipkj7
But is it fish friendly ?

keora

Reaction score
I can't advise you on freshwater bass (largemouth or smallmouth). Although I believe there used to be a couple of ponds containing bass in southern England, they are not a native species.

The rig you intend to use looks strange. You're combining a hair rigged boilie, plus a fish bait on a separate hook and float, and both are attached to a heavy lead. You ask if it's fish friendly. It's not, a hooked fish could easily get caught up in the second hook.

It would be a lot simpler to use two separate rods, one with a legered boilie, the other with a float fished deadbait.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not that fishing with two methods at the same time cannot be done, but to my mind would it not be better to just fish for either carp OR predators?
I'm not too sure where you are, but in the UK predators are what most (but not all!)would target at this time of year rather than carp, but France may offer carp opportunities if it is warmer?

As 'fins' says, better to do one thing well that two things badly, so very true!!

Good luck

Keith M

Reaction score
The rig you intend to use looks strange. You're combining a hair rigged boilie, plus a fish bait on a separate hook and float, and both are attached to a heavy lead. You ask if it's fish friendly. It's not, a hooked fish could easily get caught up in the second hook.

I agree that your intended rig (https://goo.gl/photos/hhqHCXuWVAxVipkj7) is definately not fish friendly because no matter which bait is taken by a fish there will still be a bare hook flailing about loose which could easily hook the fish in its eye or somewhere else; especially if the lower bait is taken by the fish. In my opinion using it would be quite irresponsible and lacking any foresight.

NB: Even if you didn't chance double hooking a fish you could still hook a snag and chance tethering your fish to a snag after a break or at the very least simply get your two different hooks tangled together.

If you are fishing for the table and killing the fish that you catch then I can see your logic (to a degree) but definately not if you are fishing purely for sport/fun.

Keith

Last edited:

nichalex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help though it will be useful to know about the spod.
I think you can maybe get away with if you change it to "pulley penal" (sea fishing) but still has some risks, so I will not use it. Prawns are quite expensive but I have heard carp like protein during the winter. I think it solves the problem a part for the perch hogging the hook.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help though it will be useful to know about the spod.
I think you can maybe get away with if you change it to "pulley penal" (sea fishing) but still has some risks, so I will not use it. Prawns are quite expensive but I have heard carp like protein during the winter. I think it solves the problem a part for the perch hogging the hook.

No you cant use a Pully penal, they dissolve if you cast them into freshwater ...thats why its called a "Sea" fishing rig.

Why dont you try this modification to the rig you posted, then you can spin at the same time as well ? Alternativly ditch the hair rig and the live bait and just spin with a wire trace. It will catch all the predators you mentioned were in the lake.

philip-albums-misc-picture4338-rig-2.jpg

Where exactly are you in France ? ..whats the name of the lake your fishing?

Ps - dont worry abut the spod ..use it as it already is..but of course I think you know that already ..right ? ;)

Last edited: