New ideas.

rayner

Reaction score
Are you stuck in your ways or are you open to new ideas .
I have the odd new rods even bought a new pole this year but struggle with change. As soon as I suffer any spells with no bites I go straight back to what I was taught as a kid.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm game, as long as it doesn't involve lure fishing. Naturally, if results aren't forthcoming on a new method, it's highly likely that the vast majority of us will revert to tried and trusted ways of catching. What I will often do when trying a new method is to fish a water where that method (in the hands of others) is well proven, or a water that I know to have a good head of fish.

sagalout

Reaction score
I stick to what I know works and on new waters work my way through my limited bag of tricks until something one of them works. I think (rarely) that fish are pretty simplistic and catching them ain't rocket science so I try to keep everything simple.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

Oh yeah, I fish for pleasure so if a method is not simple , easy and pleasurable I ain't interested.

trotter2

Reaction score
I will always give new ideas a go nothing wrong with that.
If it gets a second go its usually promising in some way shape or form.
Not new now but I remember when the bolo technique first started to hit the news,tried it and it works typical example of why its good to try new things.
Some of the new ideas are ridiculously complicated far to much for a simple minded river angler like myself
And how much of it is genuinely new anyways?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I seem r am shown something by someone I respect then I'll usually give it a go if my interest is fired.

Recently I was shown the Guru Bad Punch Box, I tried it out and now I wonder how I ever got on without one . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
I know you are well travelled Peter but didn't know you were conversant in the Deep South draw y'all:) It's bad punch you know;)

Ps I have one too and thinks it's brill.

peterjg

Reaction score
I really like trying out new ideas (within reason). If you are happy with your results though why change? However; if something is not working as well as you would like then change it! Einstein said words to the effect - if you keep doing the same experiment under the same conditions then you will get the same result!

For many years I experimented with different carp rigs until (eventually) I found one that I was pleased with. It took so long to get right because runs were so few and far between on the waters I fished and it took ages to prove its efficiency.

Over the last few years I have been trying out different light leger rigs which are sensitive enough for roach fishing in both river and stillwater, now sorted. At the same time I have been experimenting with home made roach ground baits and flavours, the groundbait is sorted but although one or two flavours stand out I am still working on it.

Don't just blindly follow trends and marketing hype, keep thinking, do your own thing. Keep a record of bait and ground bait mixes and keep a detailed diary.

Chefster

Reaction score
In matchfishing,on pressured waters,you have to know all the basic diciplines,but you also have to be prepared to change,and adapt all the time,if your stuck in your ways,you,ll never compete...I see a lot of anglers who go to their peg with a preconceived idea,ie method or bait,which is not right on the day,and they refuse to change,and wonder why they dont catch,and then blame the peg or the fish for not feeding;):rolleyes:

sagalout

Reaction score
Ipreconceived idea,ie method or bait,which is not right on the day,and they refuse to change,and wonder why they dont catch,and then blame the peg or the fish for not feeding;):rolleyes:
I don't do match fishing but I am guilty of this.

Chefster

Reaction score
I don't do match fishing but I am guilty of this.
I think everyone is at times,but the "best" anglers,know when to stick with it,and wait for it "to happen"or change something,or try something new,cos plan A,isnt gonna work.....Also some anglers"scoff" at new methods,or variations on an old method,refuse to adapt or change things,and again,blame everything else for not catching;)

B

binka

Some people are just never happy!

There must be thousands of existing methods and variations on them yet people still keep coming out with new ones :eek: ;) :D

robtherake

Reaction score
Some people are just never happy!

There must be thousands of existing methods and variations on them yet people still keep coming out with new ones :eek: ;) :D

I agree. The most successful "new" items are those which take an established method or product and improve on either its efficiency or user-friendliness, perhaps taking it in a new direction. Genuine breakthrough products are very thin on the ground.

Chefster

Reaction score
I agree. The most successful "new" items are those which take an established method or product and improve on either its efficiency or user-friendliness, perhaps taking it in a new direction. Genuine breakthrough products are very thin on the ground.
Why do we have to be thinking about items,agreed,new innovations are few and far between..its actual methods that are evolving,and being tweaked all the time,that we need to concentrate on,in order to be consistantly improving our catch rates ..

john step

Reaction score
I am always flitting about. Variety is the spice of life. If I struggle on a venue I tend to try again until I crack it. Then when it gets too regular I swap to something new.
I will go back, but not too soon.

Philip

Reaction score
As I mentioned on the Center pin thread I got a pin 2 or 3 years ago after being a die hard fixed spool user and that really opened up new avenues for me, just from a pleasure perspective. Its just a nice change to fish with a pin from time to time.

As for trying out new things I think allot depends on the type of fishing your doing. It always fun to try out new techniques or bits & pieces. On the other hand if your fishing for say a few fish in a low stock water then you probably dont want to chop & change so much if your already confident in a tried and trusted method, rig or bait.

rayner

Reaction score
I've dabbled with carp and for a short time had some fun. Now I've totally gone back to how I fished in my youth and really enjoy what I'm now doing.
Effectively I use canal style fishing on commercials with light lines small hooks and light elastics.
Caster or punched bread for roach up or down. I whish I could amass the amount of fish I can manage now, back when I struggled match fishing for a couple of pounds of blades on the same baits on the Retford canal.
The only change that has come easy for me has been my change to commercials, I know a good few have a dislike of commercials but for me they are a saviour. The numbers of fish I attain with old style tactics astounds me, I know it's mostly down to the venue but it's fun. I rarely catch fish over 12 ounce, plenty of 1oz to 4oz fish.
I could never get the hundred pound weights that win matches in summer but I need to keep busy. sitting there not getting bites is no good as I soon lose interest.

peterjg

Reaction score
Don't be a stick in the mud, try out new ideas or your fishing results will stagnate. Conventional or traditional does not necessarily mean better, I expect that once upon a time wheels were square!