Updated kit

sagalout

Reaction score
When you buy a replacement for for something, let's say a reel, what do you do with the one you're replacing, assuming it ain't junk.

Do you keep as a cuminandy?
Bin it?
Try and sell it for pennies?
Store it so the kids/missus has a reel (see what I did there?) nightmare clearing all your junk out when you get dead?
Something else?

B

binka

I keep a large skip on the drive for chair frames, as soon as it's full it gets collected and weighed in with the proceeds going to good causes.

I've built two schools and a health centre so far ;)

Anything else I tend to hang on to in case it comes in handy for repairs :)

mikench

Reaction score
I used to keep most things but now bin them! This applies to shoes, clothes and tackle. Mind you most of my must have tackle and bits and pieces are like new!;)

Keith M

Reaction score
If it is still in fairly good nick I either give it to my son (if he needs it) or just store it away incase someone else I know ever takes up the sport.

I only have one old fibreglass rod left which is an ultra light canal winkle picker (which I once won in a pairs match) and I have either given the rest away or used them for the runner beans many years ago. And I also have an old MKIV split cane Carp rod which I very occasionally still get out if I am feeling a bit nostalgic (which isn't very often) together with an old Mitchell 300.

I still have a lot of my old reels (Mitchell, Abu, Diawa, Shakespeare Intrepid etc.) and still use one or two of them like my Abu 506 my Mitchell Match and one of my Abu Cardinal 55's (which I very occasionally use if I am fishing a floating crust).

Most but not all of the other old fishing tackle I throw away.

Keith.

robtherake

Reaction score
If something's well and truly superceded by a better product it finances yet another unnecessary item...unless it has sentimental value...or may come in handy as a back-up...or is a source of spares.

F:mad::Dk it, I keep everything, alright? It's why we have lofts, FFS.:D

Philip

Reaction score
I cant throw anything anyway...I always think that will come in handy one day....

I recently threw away my old pair of overtrousers. To say I wore them to the last would be an understatement. Threadbare, stained, more holes and rips than material. It was only because I sort of slipped putting them on (you know that sort of hopping motion when you have one leg in and you trying to get the other leg in..) and basically I fell, stamped down with my foot and tore the entire leg off them. Even then I had a long long look before I finally consigned them to the bin.

It was a sad day.

robtherake

Reaction score
I cant throw anything anyway...I always think that will come in handy one day....

I recently threw away my old pair of overtrousers. To say I wore them to the last would be an understatement. Threadbare, stained, more holes and rips than material. It was only because I sort of slipped putting them on (you know that sort of hopping motion when you have one leg in and you trying to get the other leg in..) and basically I fell, stamped down with my foot and tore the entire leg off them. Even then I had a long long look before I finally consigned them to the bin.

It was a sad day.

A man after my own heart. My favourite fishing trousers end up so threadbare you can see through the knees - when they get too tatty to wear I can hardly bear to put them in the compost heap.

sagalout

Reaction score
Apart from the kids fishing thingy no real ideas then, you're all a bunch of hoarders.

Philip

Reaction score
Well you could do the try and trusted relegation system. Take a tee-shirt for example my relegation system is as follows :

Nightclubbing
Saturday shopping
Sunday walking
Fishing
Gardening
Painting
Drain cleaning
Oil rag
Bonfire kindling

Of course I never quite get to the bonfire ...they usually hang around the fishing/Gardening stage for longer than they should (ok for ever) ...some have even been known to get promoted on occasion ! :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Well you could do the try and trusted relegation system.
All my t shirts (and I only own t shirts) are "work" shirts" and I wear them til they fall apart hen they go in the rag bin. If she really gets the hump about the way I look she finds the least stained/paint covered and makes me put it on. Clothes are only comfortable after 2 or 3 years of wear and washing.

Good fishing tackle is comfortable from the off, so there is a question of what do do with the serviceable but relegated kit.

rayner

Reaction score
I say a lot that it's my statutory right as a Yorkshire man to be tight fisted.
As such I never sell anything for less than I bought it.
I never give anything away including "DISGORGERS" !!!
I have rarely bought anything that was a waste of my money and keep everything.
If I lose anything I lay awake ages thinking how I could have prevented the loss.
OK that last line is not true but you get the gist of how I roll.

mark_t

Reaction score
Well I have just been using my old Daiwa reel that must be 30 years old and it worked a treat I cant remember why it was replaced now :)

mikench

Reaction score
Spoken like a true Yorkshireman Rayner! Your tale reminds of the Yorkshireman who finds his wife sobbing because he has forgotten her birthday. "I am sorry Lass what would thee like" she replies that she would like a burial plot in yonder field with a view of the valley below. "Right Lass I will buy it for thee for thy birthday " A year later he finds his wife sobbing again. " what is wrong lass "he cries. " you have forgotten my birthday again" she wails. "But you haven't used last years present yet";)

flightliner

Reaction score
When my old wellies have had enough I fill them with concrete, After tearing away the outers when its set the concrete "boots" are stuck upside down in the garden --- right now my rockery looks like a few guys have skydived onto it and failed to open their parachutes!.

B

binka

When my old wellies have had enough I fill them with concrete, After tearing away the outers when its set the concrete "boots" are stuck upside down in the garden --- right now my rockery looks like a few guys have skydived onto it and failed to open their parachutes!.

That's ingenious Mick, a float wrap made from discarded rubber wellie outers :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm sorry to say all my gear that gets upgraded goes in the shed. Trouble is the shed is now full and I really do need to clear it out. I'm loathe to chuck decent useable gear away but it's got very little resale value.

I keep meaning to do a car boot and try and get a few quid for it but I cannot face the thought of squabbling with the punters.

sagalout

Reaction score
Hence the reason for this thread Skippy, I feel the same. I'd rather shove wasps up me 4rse than go to a car boot.

Anyone tried cash converters or summink similar?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
That's ingenious Mick, a float wrap made from discarded rubber wellie outers :)

Think you may want to be carefull just who's old welloies they are though some may well be listed as WMD's (chemical & Biological ) ..
and gawd knows how long the effects would last before they became fish safe .

PG ...