Whats in your Flask ?

shane99

Reaction score
Gents,

Whats in your Flask this time of year and how is it made ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I take two flasks at this time of the year; a wide mouth flask with home made soup or casserole for lunch and a one litre flask for either tea or coffee.
I far prefer to use my kelly kettle to make my tea at the river but so many places these days don't allow "fires" so hot water in the flask for the tea.

The soup I make from vegetable stock and fresh vegetables, often baked off in the oven first, and then blitzed.

I also carry a small hip flask with a little JD in case it is really cold.

Last edited:

nova12

Reaction score
Fry up and pleanty of bread and 1 with tea :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Because my sessions are only of 5/7 hour duration I only take one flask UNLESS it is really brass monkeys in which case I take two. As a young man I always took two with one holding tinned tomato soup and the other, tea, but this for longer sessions...

These days it is tea and coffee..The tea is always Assam teabags with milk and bags carried separately so I virtually have 'fresh' tea every time. Similarly, I carry foil sachets of coffee, the type found in hotels, which give one decent cup.
I do it this way so I carry the maximum amount of water in the flask and it stays HOT which is NOT the case if you add milk to the flask. In addition, I don't have to put up with the flask starting to smell from its contents and it only takes a minute to wash ready for the next outing.
May seem like fuffing around to some but I love my tea on the bank and having it as fresh as possible (and hot, until last knockings) is all part of the session.

I have to say that carrying two flasks as one gets older, is more of a trial as it is totally dead weight. That said, I would leave other stuff behind just to ensure good hot beverage that sees of the chill, particularly as we head into winter...Yesterday a case in point; One or two casts on a very cool morning, with hot tea in one hand and one on the rested rod, saw the float dip and slide away with a 9" roach the reward...

Let's face it, tea and kicking off with a roach - what could be better?

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I have started buying the boxes with the little packets in of Nescafé coffee, they also have a bit of sugar and dried milk in as well, so I just have a flask of hot water to brew them with, always get a fresh brew that way not stewed has happens when you make the coffee at home.

If it's really cold I take another flask with oxo and black pepper in it. goes well with my sandwiches.

sagalout

Reaction score
Black coffee at the ration of 2 heaped tea spoons per cup, little bit of cold water in the flask first so the coffee isn't scalded.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Depends on what gear i am taking if light (like most times now) then a flask of tea brewed at home .

If taking seat box etc etc etc then flask of hot water and a jar of QT .

As for food a sarnie of some form that i can fit in the bottom of the Aldi fishing bag that i use .

PG ...

B

binka

Most often it's tea for me although I'm not a big fan of flask tea.

If it's practical I will take the brew kit, practical being defined by how far I have to lug it all and the type of fishing I'm doing.

Skip's got the best idea with the flask of hot water as you can make it on the bank and carrying the milk separately allows you to make a bit more than you would get by just having the lot in a flask.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was brought up on "steelworkers tea" , overly strong sweet and stewed by the mash can container left standing by the furnace door. No furnace obviously now so the nearest I can get is to use two tea bags per mug with loads of sugar all dumped in my flask.
Superb on a cold winters day.
In the spring, summer, and autumn just water in an empty pop bottle.

mikench

Reaction score
Coffee for me! I make a cafetière of my current favourite ground coffee( Sainsbury's French style coffee and chicory) and then fill a pint flask adding a little brown sugar. It tastes acceptable all day. I have tried every blend going and apart from French blends( not available here) it is my favourite and even the wife likes it:)

This blend is cheap but very nice and reminds me of Café du Monde in N'awlins y'all!:rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's practical I will take the brew kit, practical being defined by how far I have to lug it all and the type of fishing I'm doing.

On one or two of my favrite venues I will always have my kelly kettle and all the makings in the boot of my car.

Even though during the day I use the tea/soup from my flasks it is always really nice to have a proper fresh brew in the car park before the drive home.

On my syndicate stretch on the Hampshire Avon we have a (daft?) rule of no open fires on the banks but a Kelly kettle is allowed in the car park . . . .

ken more

Reaction score
I take two flasks at this time of the year; a wide mouth flask with home made soup or casserole for lunch and a one litre flask for either tea or coffee.
I far prefer to use my kelly kettle to make my tea at the river but so many places these days don't allow "fires" so hot water in the flask for the tea.

The soup I make from vegetable stock and fresh vegetables, often baked off in the oven first, and then blitzed.

I also carry a small hip flask with a little JD in case it is really cold.

Personally, i would be tempted to swap the Hip Flask contents with one of the larger flasks and then phone the wife to come pick me up, which she would be delighted to do.:w:)

Philip

Reaction score
As most of my sessions are very short nowadays I dont take anything but if I do it is a flask for tea or coffee.

After trying allot of permutations I have finally settled on a flask of hot water with the milk already added so I dont need to take a second bottle for milk. The tea is "fresh" when I make it.

All I need in addition are a few tea bags or coffee sachets which I carry in a plastic freezer bag in my pocket.

rayner

Reaction score
As some have said hot water and tea bags, some times a flask of black coffee.
I always take a small flask with my wife's soup in winter, plus my hip flask but that's nothing to do with keeping warm.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This blend is cheap but very nice and reminds me of Café du Monde in N'awlins y'all!

The coffee andchicory blend was originally taken to N'awlins by the Arcadians who were exported from Nova Scotia.

It is a little on the weak side for my taste although the Café du Monde was our regular stopping-off point on our monthly trips for shopping in the City.

mikench

Reaction score
Peter the Sainsbury's blend is anything but and I like strong coffee. Give it a try it really is rather good!