Frozen cubed lunchen meat

nova12

Reaction score
So at the end of summer i decided to press 7 tins off lunchen meat through a 8mm cuber and freeze in seperate bags session size.I thought id use it all but autumn came alot quicker than i expected and ive still got 5 bags of frozen lunchen meat left.
My question is will the lunchem meat keep till next spring in the freezer as its not really a winter bait that i use alot of as i use it on the feeder mainly with hemp and meat in a cage thanks?

mikench

Reaction score
I would have thought so but I suppose it will depend on the fat content of the meat and what it is like when defrosted. Take out a few cubes now and if they are acceptable I think they will keep. I have frozen some Asda Polony and will try it out over the next few months if I remember:)

rayner

Reaction score
If cut smaller it can float if it's been in the freezer too long, 6 or 8mm should be OK.
As for meat not being a winter bait on fisheries around me it works year round. I only use it with my bomb rod and no feed and catch a few, if the fish are happy to be on the deck. If fish are responding to feed I just feed one cube at a time.

Keith M

Reaction score
I often keep unused flavoured luncheonmeat in the freezer over the winter as it doesn't look very appetising once its fatty content starts to solidify in freezing cold water.
Also as it thaws in the spring it will absorb more flavour so I sprinkle some flavouring over it before I put it into the freezer.

Keith

Last edited:

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I'd stick it in the blender with some bread for groundbait.
And use fresh for the hook.
At a pound a tin you haven't much to lose.

nova12

Reaction score
Does bread and meat blended really make ground bait?

qtaran111

Reaction score
It'll be fine. The only problem I sometimes find with luncheon meat that's been in the freezer a while is that it can be softer when defrosted and tend to come off easier. It should be ok though if hair rigged properly.

As always when defrosted, just be careful handling it and then eating your sandwiches :puke:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does bread and meat blended really make ground bait?

The short answer is, yes . . . . but remember that the fat content will be different depending on the brand and that in cold water the fat will congeal.

Where it is allowed (and quite a few commercial fisheries have banned its use) then I tend to finely grate it while still frozen and mix with both brown crumb and an equal quantity of a medium grade of continental mix, like Expo or even a Gros Gardons or Carpes.

Works well for both Tench and Carp but the old eels do seen to like it as well.