Fish on their back puzzle, anti angling propaganda?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
These fish were found dead on Chesil beach with their backs cut. According to the reporter this was the action of anglers. Then why is every fish arranged in the picture hiding their backs. Given that these fish would naturally lay on their stomachs because they have flat bellies it would seem a lot of trouble was taken to arrange them on their backs. The one or two you can see where their backs are exposed, no cuts visible. Anti angling agenda, anglers cut fishes backs!
Dead catsharks 'dumped' on Chesil Beach - BBC News

Last edited:

nichalex

Reaction score
No, I believe it is the work of anglers. I don't beach fish in the UK but I have heard that sea anglers hate dog fish. They kill them on the spot. Which I think is the case here.

rayner

Reaction score
No, I believe it is the work of anglers. I don't beach fish in the UK but I have heard that sea anglers hate dog fish. They kill them on the spot. Which I think is the case here.

If you have evidence that this is true then share it with the forum. Evidence works hearsay doesn't.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never seen anglers killing dogfish, in fact most would welcome the sport given how little is caught from the beach these days. There is nothing to support this was done by beach anglers, found on the beach could be any number of reasons and the report saying these were deliberately cut on the back, where's the evidence other than the picture taker's say so. He does not seem keen to show this evidence in his picture! Gone to a lot of trouble to hide it!

B

binka

Personally I wouldn't trust anything that the BBC report, their self-interested internal agendas have been all too obvious in the past.

Maybe it is a set up?

It would be perfectly timed given the interview they aired on Radio Four yesterday morning with a so called expert proclaiming that not only do fish feel pain and have a sense of emotion, they can even recognise your haircut!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Often true Binka, I have complained to the BBC for unfair journalism, inciting hatred; they are looking into it. I am turning into a Victor Mildrew, must watch that but would like to see what they say.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have sent a complaint to the BBC about this report, the lack of proof and the BBCs general bias against angling, when I get an answer I will post it, I doubt it will change anything but it will give someone something to do to earn their salary, can I suggest others do the same ?

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

No, I believe it is the work of anglers. I don't beach fish in the UK but I have heard that sea anglers hate dog fish.

Your proof being? I have heard that carp anglers hate other fish but I have yet to hear or witness any being killed must be true though because I heard it.

Unfounded accusations are dangerous, Chinese whispers where things get blown more and more out of proportion each time the story is told to someone else until in the end it bears no resemblance to what originaly happened.

iain t

Reaction score
This feels a bit strange to me. I have never seen Dog fish with a "cut back" on Selsey beaches and we are plagued with them. I have seen a few washed up but never seen them cut. The ones i have caught either go in the freezer to make a curry later of returned unharmed. I do know that when catch and releasing the Dog fish they have less than 50% survival rate. The picture look like it has been set up as some kind of anti-angling propaganda to me

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say that my immediate reaction is to never believe any "conservationist" unless there is clear evidence available to support their claims, and this article is no different.

Regarding Dogfish in particular, they are relatively easy to skin, with just a simple "V" shaped cut behind the head and the take some pliers and pull the skin off while holding the head of the fish.
We would do it in seconds on our trips out from Newhaven years ago.

When I was a nipper you'd get "Rock Salmon" from the chippy, which were actually Dogfish; then come the Trades Description Act the name was changed to "Huss" but it has lost it popularity in the last decade or two.
However, I don't know a seas angler who would discard his catch rather than take it home for the 'fridge or the freezer.

Returning to the "article" I am very wary, as I said before, about believing unsupported rhetoric, especially from vested interests.

I will look forward to reading the replies from the BBC but I will not be holding my breath in the meantime.

Last edited:

nichalex

Reaction score
Dogfish | Britishseafishing.co.uk :
Some anglers have an irrational dislike for dogfish and use the relative abundance and pest reputation of this species as an excuse to treat caught dogfish badly, for example yanking hooks out of the mouths of dogfish and launching or kicking the fish back into the sea. No fish should be treated like this and the reputation of all anglers suffers when members of the public see this.
I don't see why I had to find evidence, if them didn't have cut marks on there head, they must have been hit on the back of the head. Dogfish don't naturally just die neatly lined up. Chisel beach is a very well known and popular beach fishing mark, it is defiantly a work of a sea angler.

robtherake

Reaction score
Some anglers have an irrational dislike for dogfish and use the relative abundance and pest reputation of this species as an excuse to treat caught dogfish badly, for example yanking hooks out of the mouths of dogfish and launching or kicking the fish back into the sea. No fish should be treated like this and the reputation of all anglers suffers when members of the public see this.
I don't see why I had to find evidence, if them didn't have cut marks on there head, they must have been hit on the back of the head. Dogfish don't naturally just die neatly lined up. Chisel beach is a very well known and popular beach fishing mark, it is defiantly a work of a sea angler.

In no way have you determined that this is incontrovertible fact, yet you present it as such. Your position is just as anti-angler as the usual nutters we have to deal with and is in no way helpful.

thecrow

Reaction score

Have you seen the activity described in your first paragraph taking place? or have you taken it as gospel because some idiot on a web site has said it?

Let me ask you a couple of questions if I may.

Would you agree that the guy that allegedly found all these fish along the beach has an agenda that does not include singing the praises of angling?

Why have you got such a poor opinion of fellow anglers as to believe this without the slightest shred of evidence to prove what actually happened?

Have you never heard of fish grounding themselves on a beach for no apparent reason? heres just one example, was this done by anglers that disliked these fish?

upload image free

I don't know how old you are Nichalex but you are coming across as very naïve where this kind of sensationalism is concerned, my old man bless him always told me "look behind what some people say to know what they really mean" this is a perfect case of that, not everything in life is black and white.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score

Hi Nichalex, were was it you are in France ? Your English seems to have improved since your last few posts and now you appear to know allot about UK angling.

Actually I do agree with you on this occasion I think it is the work of anglers unfortunatly. Some are just less responsible than others.

Now perhaps you can remind me ...that was you wasnt it that suggested using a pully penal rig to fish a livebait / bolie comobo rig on another thread ? Here is the rig you posted. Perhaps you can advise me...will that also catch Dogfish ?

philip-albums-misc-picture4340-rig.jpg

nichalex

Reaction score
No Philip, I didn't suggest using this rig, I was asking if you thought it was fish friendly. Which it isn't so I haven't used it.

But I guess a dogfish could de caught on it ;)

Philip

Reaction score
Your English is now getting better by the post ! Amazing ! No "perch hogging the hook" then I see !

Actually you suggested the rig WOULD work if you fished it on a pully penal...come on you must recall..it was just the other day ...

PS Were exactly are you in France ? ..third time of asking...

thecrow

Reaction score
my old man bless him always told me "look behind what some people say to know what they really mean"

Nichalex I posted this earlier and having looked at all your posts I think you are a pi$$ taker, I wont be responding to any more of your posts and I hope no one else does.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
There is ONE thing that has to be borne in mind these days we are talking about the BBC here if they have the ANTI for a group they will fabricate to suit their ends they are well known for it .

I would need to see the report from other sources before i took it too seriously ..

PG ...

nichalex

Reaction score
I did say, it could work on a pulley. I think if the trace is long enuf, the other hook will be out of harms way tucked against the swivel.
Oh and before I forget to reply to your question, I live near Bordeaux.

I am sorry to upset you all. I was sceptical about the rig, I will take your advice thecrow, I will try and be more careful what I post in future.
And sorry for the spelling mistakes, I am deslexic and on top of that, I sometimes type and post on my phone.

Philip

Reaction score
Bordeaux. Small world. I was down that way just recently. I went down to Soustons & had some Mullet on trotted bread and took a row boat across Lac de Leon….lillies on the west side really thick this year. The anglers on Etang noir & d’hostens were bagging up on Roach when I walked round. So you’ll be a member of the FDAAPPMA de Gironde then.

I would say PM me the lake your fishing with that empoissonment de Gardon & Bass & next time I'm there I'll come down & help you with the Pully Penal. But then again I’m not going to waste my time as I recon your on a wind up.

Prove me wrong with lots of nice future posts without the underlying BS you have been putting in up to now.

Cheerio !

Last edited: