Was he right.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Many years ago **** Walker wrote, ''Here there and everywhere is going nowhere''. I forget which mag this was in but his contention was that many anglers fail to learn enough about the water's they fish before writing them off and heading for an alternative venue.

It goes without saying that Walker's answer to the lack of confidence is summarised by failing to understand a particular water through seasonal changes, with particular emphasis on river levels throughout the year.

But to a lesser degree the same argument could apply to still waters, obviously baits and techniques will play a major role on both.

Indeed as an example we have individuals here on FM who exemplify the very things Walker was talking about. Without wishing to embarrass anyone, Flightliner with his Trent escapades for Barbel, and Bob Horngold and his catches of Chub and Perch. Both anglers having taken the time and trouble over many years to learn the moods of their chosen rivers, and fish movements. A shining example for anyone willing to learn about their craft.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's little doubt in my mind that Walker has a point. However, much depends on your mindset and aims. Variety can be the spice of life, and dabbling on many new (to you) waters can be enjoyable in itself. Getting to know a limited number of waters really well can give far greater rewards in respect of both numbers and size of fish. The downsides are that it can get quite dull and such one track anglers can get burnt out.

I know that I'm suffering such a period of burn out at the moment. I just can't be bothered going to my usual haunts to repeat capture the same old fish. That applies equally to my local river venues and stillwaters. It's not really a surprise to find big fish on a stillwater become recognisable, but when individual trout, grayling and chub become recognisable, things can get a little stale. The upside is that I know the waters concerned as well as anyone. I'm confident of catching where many deem it pointless fishing simply because I know the waters well.

john step

Reaction score
Exactly right. Life seems too short to get to the depths (excuse pun) of all the venues. I sometimes wonder if I would be a better angler now if I hadn't flitted about for all those years match fishing, never seeming to really getting to grips.
I did enjoy it the time though.

I suppose that is what made the likes of Marks etc so good. The ability to shine on so many venues.

mikench

Reaction score
I am an ordinary guy Derek who is new to fishing and who has little time for total self indulgence ( wife, kids, elderly parents, work, homes to run etc).

Accordingly if I go to a water one day and try bread punch on the float and catch or pellet on a hybrid feeder or maggots( when I don't leave them at home) on a feeder and achieve success( relative of course) I then do exactly the same the day after! I might not if weather and water conditions are different but all things being equal I will set up in the same spot and use the same tactics.

I then blank or catch just the odd one:( I try different baits and methods but to no avail. By my reckoning you could study a water for years , knowing it's stock levels, depths, snags, bait preferences and favourite spots in the margin, in shade, near the Lilly pads or whatever and still fail because the fish are simply not interested ;). It is my nature to then try somewhere else in the hope for better success. I will return to the previous water eventually.

Yesterday there were about 6 or 7 guys doing the same as me i.e. Trying again a method that worked last time out but which fails miserably this time. We all packed up in the gloom muttering that we would try elsewhere next time, the water had gone off etc etc. We are frail human beings but maybe Mr Walker was not!;)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's a matter of finding the "Happy Medium", isn't it? And that will be different for everyone.
Just like all those sayings that come in contradictory pairs - many hands make light work/ too many cooks spoil the broth; he who hesitates is lost/ look before you leap - fishing different venues and watching and learning from different anglers quickly teaches you a far wider range of skills than fishing one pit, but if the biggest fish in the country has a favourite haunt the size of a bathtub, in a big water, then only those who regularly see that fish will have a clue as to where that might be.

Walker fished and won club matches, and learned to use a cane roach-pole, before he set his sights on catching big fish by design; his big River Beane roach were caught on light tackle, including specially-made floats, were they not?
From the streamy Ivel and Upper Ouse to the stillest pool, he acquired what they'd now call a "transferable skill-set" that stood him in good stead for his later adventures.

Jack of all trades or One-pit wonder? Or a bit of both? Your call.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing new venues and always try different places and methods several times in a given season as much for the variety it offers as any results it might bring.

But I much prefer to concentrate on a given venue and style. More recently that has been chasing barbel on the upper Loddon in the Summer/Autumn, trotting for big chub through Autumn/Winter and grayling in Winter.

Having now retired back to "home" in Dorset I find I'm probably fishing less than I used to but in a more frequent targeted way.

Effort doesn't always equal rewards but it helps!

flightliner

Reaction score
:DDerek, glad to know your computer is better and thanks for the kind words.
I,m on the river trent right nowcoinciding my arrival with the turn of the tide. I'm ready now to start in the next five minutes as its just coming to a halt--- it looks good , if I dont catch maybe I need another fifty years to sort things out:D
Lol--- heres hoping.

robtherake

Reaction score
I think Walker's right. Sam Vimes, too. Over-familiarity breeds ennui, so a change is useful in that it stimulates and invigorates. Sticking with a few chosen waters, though, enables the development of a deeper understanding of both tactics and fish behaviour, quite often leading to quicker success on less familiar ground.

I've spent several years popping from place to place, with variable and very average results. This last year it's been cut down to 3 or 4 regular venues, which I'm finally beginning to get to grips with. I get out far less regularly than most of our members, so I'd imagine that it'll be quite some time before I reach the point of being on friendly terms with my finny quarry. I've suffered from burnout in the dim and distant past - when I was a committed seven-days-a-week angler - but I can't see that happening in my current situation.

rayner

Reaction score
If named anglers have a idea that doesn't mean us mortals should follow blindly.
I'm relatively stuck with methods I fish these days but can't say my philosophy has changed as to how I think regarding my own fishing now to what it was years ago.
I'm mostly by choice compelled to fish the same venue.
It's a little more than the same venue has it has a number of different ponds with different stocks of species.
My choice is nothing to do with getting a better understanding of a water. That to me is far too deep and efforts to try to understand fish would be crazy for me and deflect from me enjoyment. I have no whish to do anything other than catch fish. I don't need anything else.
My sole choice for my chosen venue is I fish is without traveling any further I can take different tackle and catch fish with little effort.
It is definitely a venue where I can try a number of different methods, that in turn prevents me from getting tired of fishing the same method for the same fish.
As for understanding my water more, that's never been a consideration for me. I just fish.
Thinking too much about any venue would not suit me, angling is my release.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks Derek for your kind words.

Moving to deepest Essex has meant a long drive to the Lea Valley, but I still make the effort when I'm feeling well.

I have joined a couple of local clubs which do me for pleasure fishing, but if I'm in the mood for Specimen hunting I have to make the effort to drive to the Lea Valley.

Learning your trade, regardless of which section of the sport you enjoy is essential in my honest opinion, because once learnt those skills are inter changeable as to the species, venue or method you adopt.

So it could be Barbel, Chub, Pike or Perch that I'm after, the venue will dictate what method I use and that method can be usually be transferred from water to water.

After 60+years of fishing, I'm still not to old to learn new methods or styles of fishing, for me it's not the ultimate capture of a specimen PB, but the journey getting to that point.

I was lucky enough to fish with Mr Walker a few times and he helped me learn how to master the art of trotting a float, he was a gent and a patient teacher of fishing to a 13year old with asthma.

Bob