My best ever perch nearly

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fishing today I set my stall out for roach, I was fishing 4lb main 3lb hook length might be a bit heavy for roach but there were carp in the water I was fishing

I fish single red or white maggot and caught a decent amount of roach the best around the 1ib Mark
Then about an hour before dusk I had a bite from something bigger , as I reeled in the fish came to the surface and I saw it was a perch of at least 2ib then the hook was dropped and the fish gone

Gutted , it would have beat my best perch by 1.5 lb

john step

Reaction score
It sounds like a great days fishing. I bet I know what you will do??
Go back with prawns and lobs??
Best of luck.

Philip

Reaction score
Bad luck. Try fishing a lob in the same swim next time at dusk. They can be quite territorial so it could still be there when you return.

stripey

Reaction score
cannot believe that an angler of your stature has not caught a stripey over 1.5ib,
you need to come to the Midlands i.e. leicestershire/derbyshire,my pb is 3ib2oz,caught quite a few over 2ib, one on the little river Mease which is only 8ft wide at the widest and only 5ft deep at the deepest

oyster

Reaction score
I'd like to know which area of the mease ;-)

Perch are getting big where they are preying on signal crayfish. But in areas where they arent about a 2lber is a bigun.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My biggest Perch came from /Norway, on a lake that is more like a "broad" in reality close to Hamar.

Until then I had never caught a 2lb Perch in England and then, in my first ever match on that venue, I had 2 three pounders while targeting the large Bream and Vederbuk (Ide) there . . . . .

A large Perch is a great fish . . . . . and I am told that there is quite a good head of them on the K & A Canal around Pewsey, so one day I might have a pop at them . . . . .

stripey

Reaction score
Hi Oyster, i fish the Mease from Measham all the way through to Edingale,
the last big perch came from the BA stretch at Edingale with prawn as bait.

B

binka

Thats not too far from me might have to give it a try shortly .

PG ..

Duly noted in these quarters too, my head office is located in Ashby.

It's amazing how quickly one can lose a suit in favour of more appropriate fishing apparel :)