Paternoster V float

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weather looks good next week for a spot of perching, just looking at Binkas "cod father" post set me to thinking about choosing between two styles of fishing livebait, I'd welcome your opinions.

The pros and cons of fishing a livebait on a float/ledgered paternoster rig (my usual go to set up) or just simply directly under a float?

A Stillwater in this case.

Last edited:
B

binka

My main reason for choosing paternoster over free roving is simply for keeping the bait in one place and within a closely set depth range, usually close to a feature such as overhanging cover or a deep channel.

I then try and use a float paternoster as it gives me a clearer understanding of what's going on but that's not to say others won't interpret sunken float and legered paternosters to the same degree, it's just my preference.

I would otherwise prefer free roving as it covers more water but isn't suitable for snaggy waters unless you're drifting over snags at a shallower depth, where it can then be deadly.

So I guess it depends on the water you're fishing and the swim/s in question :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
It’s very difficult to define this Autumn/Winter so far on the rivers I fish (I haven't tried the pits yet). The bigger perch do not seem to have shoaled up yet and my only decent (3LB+ fish) was caught exploring the water with a trotted float livebait. The problem is finding them and and they have rarely been where you’d expect them – for me it would be ‘on the day’ as to which method I would go for.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The problem is finding them and and they have rarely been where you’d expect them – for me it would be ‘on the day’ as to which method I would go for.

This is exactly my problem which accounts for so many blanks. The lake I fish has only a small head of perch but they are nearly all big specimens. They have been caught by myself and others at various parts of the lake, at various depths.

Philip

Reaction score
If I could get away with it I would always use a free roving bait but the they rarely stay in the right place hence why I end up using a paternoster to anchor it.

If you using small baits you dont need allot of lead to stop it moving. I usually use something like a 3/4oz lead (three quaters of an oz) under a chubber float and that stops even reasonable baits moving too far but does not add too much Resistance to a taking fish should it feel the lead.