Shimano ST 4000 Baitrunner recommendations.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Not been in the hobby very long and my present reel a Diawa was 23 years old when I acquired it so now as the handle is going sideways its time to get rid.

I would like a Baitrunner, but some models are very expensive although the ST models seem reasonableby priced but are they worth buying.

Just commercial waters at the moment, and never cast too far out - cannot trust my accuracy yet.

Anyone bought one recently ?

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
Like you I am a relative novice but do like baitrunners for many of the reasons enunciated by many experienced members on here. I bought an Okuma Carbonite 140 size for less than £20 and it came with12lb line. I intended to use if for sea fishing in France but forgot to take it so I put a decent 5lb line on the spare spool and have used it here for General fishing ever since.

It feels as smooth as any of my other reels and for the price I couldn't go wrong and I do like it. Santa is going to bring a Shimano DL 2500/ Diawa equivalent but for the moment the Okuma is fine and I would commend it to you particularly at the price! I caught my biggest fish( a 13.5lb mirror) on it and have even float fished with it.

What it will be like in a few years time who knows; but the same could be said about me!:rolleyes:

yorkieman

Reaction score
Never heard of that make before, but just had a quick peep online and your right about the price and it looks well made too.

I read all the messages on this forum and the Baitrunners always seem to be a good choice of reel.

Would rather receive advice from the likes of FM members than going to the tackle shop and buying rubbish.

Thanks again.

john step

Reaction score
I have one of the Shimmy 4000ST. I wanted a small bait runner. It has not disappointed. The bait runner is very smooth and the clutch is too.

In fact a couple of winters ago I made the mistake of picking up this reel instead of a big gun when chucking heavy stuff out on the the Lower Trent.

I carried on regardless having made the journey. It coped admirably with a double figure barbel 3 chub and a bream, although I wouldn't make a habit of it as I think its cruel to make a small reel winch those weights continuously.:(

Here is the rub though. It only comes with one spool. When you factor in the price of Shimano spare spools at about £12, it may be more economical to buy the more expensive version that comes with a spare.

Its a nice reel though.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have both models the ST2500 & DL4000FB both are nice reel but if you can go that bite more in cost go for the dl there some on eBay for £62. Or look at a good second hand for about £35 up

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the 2500s when I started fishing a couple of years ago, I was unlucky with one, the bale arm failed, apart from that they were good.

I've since splashed out on the more expensive Aeros which are a much better quality but a lot dearer. Only thing I don't care for are the double handles, so have taken the singles off my old 2500s.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Money is not the problem its just that "top of the range" reels is maybe an overkill for me.

Incidentally what as the DL have over the ST ?

Everyone is telling me size 4000 is what I need but to be honest I I'm lost with all the sizes and abbreviations.

Thanks

john step

Reaction score
2500/3000 sizes are more float fishing size to compliment a float rod.
4000 feeder/ledgering/ commies bigger lumps more line capacity.
5000/6000/7000 pike ,carp,cats/ heavy feeder big river stuff.
Big pit reels...the name it says on the box!

yorkieman

Reaction score
Thanks for that John.
Method Feeder is my prefered way as floats are a little hard to see in the water.
4000 is for me then.

chrissh

Reaction score
Money is not the problem its just that "top of the range" reels is maybe an overkill for me.

Incidentally what as the DL have over the ST ?

Everyone is telling me size 4000 is what I need but to be honest I I'm lost with all the sizes and abbreviations.

Thanks

The DL has a higher spec and has 3 bearings double handle and comes with a spare spool
ST is 1 bearing Sigel handle and no spare spool

mark_t

Reaction score
Like you I am a relative novice but do like baitrunners for many of the reasons enunciated by many experienced members on here. I bought an Okuma Carbonite 140 size for less than £20 and it came with12lb line. I intended to use if for sea fishing in France but forgot to take it so I put a decent 5lb line on the spare spool and have used it here for General fishing ever since.

It feels as smooth as any of my other reels and for the price I couldn't go wrong and I do like it. Santa is going to bring a Shimano DL 2500/ Diawa equivalent but for the moment the Okuma is fine and I would commend it to you particularly at the price! I caught my biggest fish( a 13.5lb mirror) on it and have even float fished with it.

What it will be like in a few years time who knows; but the same could be said about me!:rolleyes:

Just wondering if the Okuma comes with a line clip and is it any good?

mikench

Reaction score
The Okuma does have a line clip and so far I am impressed with it! £20 for a baitrunner prespooled with line has to be a bargain.

I do not have to cast very far but on one occasion when i had the lake to myself I sent a 3/4oz bomb on several occasions at least 50 yards with little effort. If I had wanted to go further I would have walked to the other side of the lake!:rolleyes:

I cannot comment on a heavy lead or feeder!