Help spooling up

nova12

Reaction score
Ive always spooled my reels with the spool in a bucket of water with the label facing UP with a glass on top to keep it facing that way but ive recently bought a new spool of the same line and it comes off the spool the opposite direction to my old 1? My questionn is if the line is coming off the spool clock wise should the spool be label side up or label side down?as i cant get my head round looking at the coils etc. Any help greatly appreciated as ive spooled 2 new baitrunners and i had bad line twist yesterday?thanks in advance

Am i right in thinking if the spools on the floor face up that it should be coming off the new spoool anti clockwise on to my reel? And looking at my reel,spool side the bail arm is going round clockwise?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I place my spool on the floor and run the line through an old book. How many pages on top to get the tension just right then stand and reel in onto the reel so there's about 5 or 6 feet between me and the book. The spool jams up against the book and turns as line comes off. Takes a bit of adjustment to get just right but I have found this problem free. The line is not going one way or the other off the spool so it goes onto the reel without any adverse twist and you can set the tension by how many pages down you run the line through the book. I use a heavyish hard cover book.
I expect there are many ways but this has done me well enough.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
The spool should be neither up nor down, the line should be coming off the same way that it went on which would have been with the spool on its side at the end of the manufacturing process.

nova12

Reaction score
Yes thats what ive said but which side up coming off clock wise or anticlock wise?×

mikench

Reaction score
I do find this hard to do but have achieved good line lay on every occasion bar one! I use small pieces of foam insulation placed inside two eyes on the butt to create tension and press on the line and this works well.

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes thats what ive said but which side up coming off clock wise or anticlock wise?×

I think you may have misunderstood what I posted, the spool should be on its side not on its end, i.e. label at the end of the cylinder (spool) this is how the spool would have been during the time the mono was being wound on to it and the mono should come off as it went on.