Braided lines for trotting

edsurf

Reaction score
Have you used it for trotting fast shallow waters for grayling,

My thinking is a more direct connection trotting at distance.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you used it for trotting fast shallow waters for grayling

Faster and shallower water than you could possibly imagine and grayling make up at least 50% of my catches.

If you are going to try braid as a trotting mainline, be careful about the mono you choose for hooklinks and the rod you use. Too much power in the rod will see you bumping fish. A bit of elasticity in the hooklink mono is a good idea. There's too little stretch in many hi tech monos for them to be used in conjunction with braid.

edsurf

Reaction score
Faster and shallower water than you could possibly imagine and grayling make up at least 50% of my catches.

If you are going to try braid as a trotting mainline, be careful about the mono you choose for hooklinks and the rod you use. Too much power in the rod will see you bumping fish. A bit of elasticity in the hooklink mono is a good idea. There's too little stretch in many hi tech monos for them to be used in conjunction with braid.

Thanks for that, will keep it in mind about the hook lengths.
I use an acolyte ultra so rod should not be a problem.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used braid and it has it's good points but I prefer mono. I often trott runs of a hundred yards and hit the fish no problem at the end of the run using mono. I think it's a personal thing, you either like it, or you don't.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

What do you use for hooklink material Chris ? I'm after a reliable material around 0.10 or so and don't really get on with hi-tec hooklinks. I like a bit of stretch .

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I cannot stand the stuff, the noise going through eyes, the lack of stretch and the feel of it, other than that it's looks okay !!

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
What do you use for hooklink material Chris ? I'm after a reliable material around 0.10 or so and don't really get on with hi-tec hooklinks. I like a bit of stretch .

Preston Reflo Powerline, usually. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's the best I've found that easily obtainable. Prior to this, I used bog standard Drennan Hooklength (little blue labelled spools, precursor of the Team England Rig Line), but that disappeared a while back.

With the more modern pre-stretched monos, I find myself using higher nominal breaking strains to make up for the lack of stretch and propensity to break under sudden shock load (mad brownies doing their acrobatic routines). Fortunately, the water I fish tends to be too fast for the fish to worry unduly about a line being a few points of a millimetre thicker than another. That might not be the case on some of the flowing canals that pass for rivers down south.;):D

Jon Leckie

Reaction score
I have been using Berkley Fireline in .15mm for the last 6 weeks. it is a little noisy, it is easy to see and is affected by wind more than monofil (i think) . i am fishing the Avon around Salisbury for Grayling in particular, the river is generally less than 3 ft deep. i think that the pick up of the braid and lack of stretch do help at distance but cant really say that there is much difference close to hand. not really sure if i am landing more fish or dropping any fewer. tangles ( fortunately very few) are harder to sort out than with monofil. i have rigs set up ready to attach to the braid. typically they are of 3 or four ft of Maxima (3lb) and a hooklink of Drennan Supplex . at the moment i think i prefer it but i am not sure that the difference is that marked

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Preston Reflo Powerline, usually. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's the best I've found that easily obtainable. Prior to this, I used bog standard Drennan Hooklength (little blue labelled spools, precursor of the Team England Rig Line), but that disappeared a while back.

With the more modern pre-stretched monos, I find myself using higher nominal breaking strains to make up for the lack of stretch and propensity to break under sudden shock load (mad brownies doing their acrobatic routines). Fortunately, the water I fish tends to be too fast for the fish to worry unduly about a line being a few points of a millimetre thicker than another. That might not be the case on some of the flowing canals that pass for rivers down south.;):D

Thanks. Powerline is OK but seems a bit thick to me. TBH I've been fishing straight through on my beloved Dura Flex but I'm nearly out now and I may have to go back to DFF with a hooklink. I was a big fan of Drennan Hooktie [ the blue spool stuff] but I'm a big non-fan of Drennan Supplex. I'm struggling to find a reliable material for hooklinks in finer diameters that I'm not a bit nervous about. Supplex makes me nervous !

I've bought a few to try but I'm a bit anal about line.I want something with a bit of "give" in it ie not pre-stretched, preferably clear and around 2lb bs...or a shade more. Ought to be simple...flippin isn't !

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've bought a few to try but I'm a bit anal about line.I want something with a bit of "give" in it ie not pre-stretched, preferably clear and around 2lb bs...or a shade more. Ought to be simple...flippin isn't !

I think you'd be happy with silstar matchman ;).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks. Powerline is OK but seems a bit thick to me. TBH I've been fishing straight through on my beloved Dura Flex but I'm nearly out now and I may have to go back to DFF with a hooklink. I was a big fan of Drennan Hooktie [ the blue spool stuff] but I'm a big non-fan of Drennan Supplex. I'm struggling to find a reliable material for hooklinks in finer diameters.

That's the snag, fine diameter, for a given breaking strain, invariably means some level of prestretching. It's a matter of balance and working on the principle that 2lb unstretched is likely to break way beyond the nominal breaking strain. Prestched mono is likely to break at about, or less than, the nominal breaking strain.

With that in mind, I'm seriously considering going old school and giving lighter Maxima a go again. As you do, I'd prefer to use clear mono, so I'll be trying to find Maxima clear. If they don't do it in the lower breaking strains, it'll have to be Chameleon.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I think you'd be happy with silstar matchman ;).

Do you mean Silstar Match Team ? I've got some of that. Haven't used it yet ( or indeed before) but first impressions aren't great. Looks very shiny and if this is the same stuff as WB Clarke then I doubt im going to like it. The Clarke stuff I have used and it went rapidly to the bin.

Like I said..... I'm a bit anal about lines !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean Silstar Match Team ? I've got some of that. Haven't used it yet ( or indeed before) but first impressions aren't great. Looks very shiny and if this is the same stuff as WB Clarke then I doubt im going to like it. The Clarke stuff I have used and it went rapidly to the bin.

Yeaph Skippy, silstar match team, it's really good line....not so good as sensor like!...but great stuff. Give it a try before you fall out with it ;)

john step

Reaction score
Fortunately, the water I fish tends to be too fast for the fish to worry unduly about a line being a few points of a millimetre thicker than another. That might not be the case on some of the flowing canals that pass for rivers down south.;):D

I'll vouch for that. Trotting down slalom courses more like it!:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Yeaph Skippy, silstar match team, it's really good line....not so good as sensor like!...but great stuff. Give it a try before you fall out with it ;)

I will. Ive had another proper look and I must have been confusing it with something else. It looks as if it might be alright. Rummaging around in the box ive also found some Cralluso which I was quite taken with when I bought it and is worth another go too. Not sure how long I've had that though......might be best to get a fresh spool.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score

I came across a thread on Maggotdrowners where a fella's measured and strength-tested a goodly selection of the current "best" lines. Match Team came in quite a bit lower than the stated breaking strains and was worst on test by a mile.