Bad weather!

mikench

Reaction score
How bad does it have to be to persuade you to stay home or pack up if you are on the bank? Arrived in persistent rain and wind at 8.30. Because of the direction and intensity of the wind I set up on a muddy incline with the wind at my back but largely shielded by my new brolly. So far so good ! I set up a maggot feeder with a helicopter rig and started to catch within 20 Minutes.

By 2.00 the wind was a gale and had changed direction by a full 180 degrees. It was also throwing it down. Having changed my brolly and chair position a few times I was faced with basically moving to the other side of the lake . Cursing I decided to pack up as i was soaked and couldn't face it for at best another hour and a half. It felt like a hurricane! Am I a wuss?

Had 3 skimmers and 6 roach to 8oz or so. Just got home! I hate wind!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I try my level bst to be properly dressed and prepared or the prevailing weather conditions I am always minded of the fact that there are no prizes for being the; coldest, wettest thirstiest or most hungry angler on the lake or river.

If that means moving 180º to remain comfortable, while at the same time giving me a decent chance of catching, then so be it, and off I will jolly well go.

I think much also depends on ones available fishing time and how often one can get out.

In those years when I had all sorts of other responsibilities, and my fishing time was very short, then I'd happily sit out in a gale, monsoon or a blizzard . . . .

theartist

Reaction score
The rain can be annoying especially if it comes just before you pack up, it's getting the gear dry at home that bugs me. As for the wind - a cold one in the face gets me moving swims and if there's no getting away from it then there's no place like home

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I must be a little bit different then because I love the sound of the rain on my brolly, shelter or bivvy

On a weekend session I feel almost cheated if it doesn't rain at least once . . . .

Sat under the brolly listening to the ran with a fresh cuppa and willing the tip to go round on the rod . . . . . . Pefikk!

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't mind the rain but as soon as you add cold temperatures and strong winds to the pot then I start thinking of going home.

It hasn't always been like this it's just that the older I get the more like a wuss I'm becoming (but a comfortable wuss), and being retired I can always choose to go tommorrow if conditions improve Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
You have spent too long in hot climates Peter but I know what you mean. Vertical rain I can stand for the reasons you describe but gale force wind like today driving rain almost horizontally you can keep!;)

sagalout

Reaction score
I are a pleasure fisherman, hence the tw4t hat metioned on another thread, and I can't see the point in being uncomfortable, so if it ain't pleasurable I go home.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Cold i can normally handle reasonably well but Torrential rain is a total no no .

I have waterproofs ect but it still gets in somewhere that is when it starts winding me up and the fuse gets ultra short :wh something as simple as a fish coming of the hook can tip me then lookout woe betide anyone that says the wrong thing then :mad:

PG ...

john step

Reaction score
There is bad weather and then there is bad WINTER weather.
Although its a pain packing up in the rain in warmer months its a far worse thing when its bitterly cold.

I tend to do piking in the winter so when its cold I don't keep getting my fingers cold, as I would maggoteerin .
I can keep huddled up and only move from my seat when a run occurs.

Chefster

Reaction score
How bad does it have to be to persuade you to stay home or pack up if you are on the bank? Arrived in persistent rain and wind at 8.30. Because of the direction and intensity of the wind I set up on a muddy incline with the wind at my back but largely shielded by my new brolly. So far so good ! I set up a maggot feeder with a helicopter rig and started to catch within 20 Minutes.

By 2.00 the wind was a gale and had changed direction by a full 180 degrees. It was also throwing it down. Having changed my brolly and chair position a few times I was faced with basically moving to the other side of the lake . Cursing I decided to pack up as i was soaked and couldn't face it for at best another hour and a half. It felt like a hurricane! Am I a wuss?

Had 3 skimmers and 6 roach to 8oz or so. Just got home! I hate wind!
Only time i wouldnt go,is if it was not safe to drive to the match,ie heavy snow,etc..i will break ice,fish in rain,wind, heat anything,i dont necessarily like it always,but i would always go and fish,in a match you cant just keep moving about either,you have to sit and face the elements;),so yes you are a wuss:D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a watch with a barometric graph feature (Casio marine watch with digital compass, tide table and temperature reading). Very useful watch, if I saw clouds approaching on the horizon I would check the barometric graph, if it was steady I would carry on fishing and the clouds would pass over, if it was falling; rain would be on the way and I could set the brolly up or pack up. It was surprising how often this would work out; many a time I packed up and by the time I got home it would bucket it down. Not always but often enough for me to rely on the reading with a bit of using my eyes as well.
It cost me £130 at the time but a very useful item. I am not sure if they still do this particular model but I think they turn up on E bay, a useful Christmas present or any watch with this feature useful for fishing.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Have you been talking to Robtherake Mark?;)

A watch with a barometric graph feature now there's a thought:rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Have you been talking to Robtherake Mark?;)

A watch with a barometric graph feature now there's a thought:rolleyes:
Hi Mike- it was useful, I say in the past tense because I lost it, a long story and have not replaced it yet. I think it automatically updated itself every 15 mins with an inbuilt sensor and you pressed a button and the graph appeared showing any movement in the pressure. Downwards usually meant bad weather on the way. Upwards good weather. Using as a back up to my own bit of judgement, wind direction, cloud thickness/colour etc, I found it very helpful.
I am waiting for the one that tells me where the 3lb roach are though, I would fall for it probably, I have fallen for everything else over the years.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing a "bad weather" for an angler or is there only poorly prepared or poorly equipped anglers?

I have fished in what many might ay were appalling conditions and in both sub-zero temperatures as well as monsoons . . . . . . as long as there is a chance of me catching, then . . .I'm there

My only qualification to that is an electric storm as that is just down right stupid to continue fishing. Even then, I will sit in the car (a Faraday cage) and wait for it to abate and then resume my fishing . . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
Is there such a thing a "bad weather" for an angler or is there only poorly prepared or poorly equipped anglers?

I have fished in what many might ay were appalling conditions and in both sub-zero temperatures as well as monsoons . . . . . . as long as there is a chance of me catching, then . . .I'm there

My only qualification to that is an electric storm as that is just down right stupid to continue fishing. Even then, I will sit in the car (a Faraday cage) and wait for it to abate and then resume my fishing . . . . .

I would say that if I was just putting up with freezing temperatures which were making the fish almost comatose together with strong winds which were making it really difficult to cast let alone feed then I think I would seriously need to get a life Lol.

When I was younger it was totally different; I would fish right through the night in freezing temperatures and often awoke in the early hours to find my line stuck fast through drifting ice, and I used to enjoy that, but not any more Lol.

One of my most procuctive nights Carp fishing was way back before carbon fibre rods came on the market and we were using cane and fibreglass rods and my mate and I were quite indifferent to the dangers of fishing in lightening.
From an hour before the thunder storm arrived untill an hour after it had passed we had Carp literately climbing up our rods; we had at least 15 Carp each and were soaked right through to the skin; but I definately wouldn't dream of fishing in these weather conditions today Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that if I was just putting up with freezing temperatures which was making the fish almost comatose and strong winds making it really difficult to cast let alone feed then I would need to get a life Lol.

These days Keith so would I, but back then my fishing time was severely limited so come hell or high water when I got the chance t fish . . . I was there regardless of the conditions.

mikench

Reaction score
Another foul day up here and I decided to give fishing a miss and visit elderly parents. It rained all the way to Lytham and all the way back and looked like 8.00am all day. I am now free to go tomorrow!;)