Fishing Holiday Suggestions

Hogweed

Reaction score
Hi All,

I take my elderly mother away for a change of scenery for a week in July/August. Whilst she is enjoying the view I like to get a bit of fishing in.

I'm looking at the lake district/yorkshire dales/moors area. I prefer coarse fishing on rivers or natural venues but I do a bit of sea and fly fishing now and then as well.

I've never visited these areas let alone fished there so I would appreciate any suggestions of where might be a good place to stay and what sort of fishing to expect.

Thanks in advance.

B

binka

Whereabouts are you Hogweed?

Only reason I ask is that I don't want to suggest anywhere you're already close to and as a throwaway idea some of the Derbyshire area tick your boxes.

Matlock Bath is lovely and within easy striking distance of Ashbourne and Buxton for a day trip or two, the Derwent through Matlock Bath itself is fishable on a day ticket and offers mixed coarse fishing with a dominance of grayling.

Many spectacular views around there too if you do a goggle image search.

Either way I hope you find somewhere suitable.

mikench

Reaction score
The Mail and Times feature adverts for caravans/lodges/cottages for rentwith fishing included for many parts of the country. I have never used them but some look quite good.

It depends on which is more important the fishing or the location!;)

greenie62

Reaction score
Good suggestions from Mike and Binka.

I guess from previous posts that you are based in the SE - and having an elderly mother myself - know that too long a journey isn't desirable :rolleyes:!

Might be worth looking at a location that isn't too far and has links with local coach companies that run day-trips for a similar target groups to your mother's age. That way you can drop her off for her coach pickup at 8-9ish before you go off for a day's fishing - and she can have a reasonably safe day with people of her own age seeing the local sights.

Some areas - like the Hants/Dorset coast - have the right demographic for this - as well as some wonderful nearby fishing opportunities - Royalty and Throop spring to mind, as well as free stretches of the Itchen.

Hmmm - gives me an idea for next hols with my non-fishing/non-driving SWMBO! ;)

Previous holidays have seen me fishing early summer mornings 5-9am, popping back for breakfast then taking her out for the day, then getting an evening session 'til dark. Had some good fishing - but was wiped-out on 4hrs sleep each night!

When you decide where to go - drop us a line here to find out about local fishing and whether it's worth getting a local club season ticket for the freedom to fish local waters rather than lose half your day fannying around for day-tickets and directions.

Tight Lines!

mikench

Reaction score
As stated by Greenie, if you pick your location first to suit your mum and then let the nice folk on this forum know, you will be inundated with details of suitable fishing sites nearby.

I am often asked about nice hotels in my area but I haven't a clue as I have never stayed in them;)

Hogweed

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Guys.

I am based in Essex and we have always gone S/SW and middle England in the past. I fancied trying the north this time, and my mum has a friend who lives in Kirk Deighton who she would like to visit. So anywhere with in an hours drive of there would be ideal.

Hogweed

Reaction score
Good suggestions from Mike and Binka.

I guess from previous posts that you are based in the SE - and having an elderly mother myself - know that too long a journey isn't desirable :rolleyes:!

Might be worth looking at a location that isn't too far and has links with local coach companies that run day-trips for a similar target groups to your mother's age. That way you can drop her off for her coach pickup at 8-9ish before you go off for a day's fishing - and she can have a reasonably safe day with people of her own age seeing the local sights.

Some areas - like the Hants/Dorset coast - have the right demographic for this - as well as some wonderful nearby fishing opportunities - Royalty and Throop spring to mind, as well as free stretches of the Itchen.

Hmmm - gives me an idea for next hols with my non-fishing/non-driving SWMBO! ;)

Previous holidays have seen me fishing early summer mornings 5-9am, popping back for breakfast then taking her out for the day, then getting an evening session 'til dark. Had some good fishing - but was wiped-out on 4hrs sleep each night!

When you decide where to go - drop us a line here to find out about local fishing and whether it's worth getting a local club season ticket for the freedom to fish local waters rather than lose half your day fannying around for day-tickets and directions.

Tight Lines!

Yes your right that the long distance might be a limiting factor.

I have done the same but I usually do my fishing in the evening.

The Dorset/Hant area is fantastic. It does tick a lot of boxes.

Hogweed

Reaction score
Well, had a slight change of plan. I have booked a cottage in Wadebridge, Cornwall. It is in a nice spot on the banks of the river Camel.

Not sure what the fishing is all about but seems to be a salmon and sea trout venue. Although I expect the usuall estuary fish should be present. So I think I'll need to pack a fly, spinning and bass rod as well as rod for the beach/rocks.

Looking forward to it already.

Any River Camel anglers on here?

theartist

Reaction score
Well, had a slight change of plan. I have booked a cottage in Wadebridge, Cornwall. It is in a nice spot on the banks of the river Camel.

Not sure what the fishing is all about but seems to be a salmon and sea trout venue. Although I expect the usuall estuary fish should be present. So I think I'll need to pack a fly, spinning and bass rod as well as rod for the beach/rocks.

Looking forward to it already.

Any River Camel anglers on here?

There were Camel anglers on here but they got the hump :) ........................sorry about that one :eek:

The sea fishing should be great down there though, sounds like you are getting all bases covered, lures, flies etc. dont forget bread for mullet and cheap prawns work well in calm conditions, stay safe have a great time and let us know how you get on