Stuck rod sections.

mellow yellow

Reaction score
After a bad days fishing on the Wye I found my beloved Torrix sections stuck together.
Transported rod home on the roof of car. 4 Burly guys could free the stuck sections. Hot water didnt help, tried everything, hands eventually just slip.
Laying in bed I had a brain wave. Went to the van and got my pot of Plumbers Mate out (Plumbers putty made by Evo-Stick). After Kneading the putty with my hands they became 'tacky'. Firm grip on rod and a light twist and Presto.!
A two piece rod again.
My first post but hopefully will be of use to someone.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My old man always run the male rod spigot through his hair, he reckoned the natural oil in your hair just applied the right amount of oil to prevent this happening; he always did this before tackling up. And from my memory he was right. Sounds daft but some sense in it.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
If you have 2 people facing each other and each one puts one hand on one rod section and one hand on the other so each one is both pushing and pulling, the forces work in a straight line and it always works.

Not sure if I have explained it properly, best I can do I think.

greenie62

Reaction score
No apologies for re-printing advice given in previous posts - but still works:

Marigold gloves - always worth taking a pair fishing - great for gripping rod sections for just such an emergency! Works on pole sections too!

Yes - the latex ones are OK too - and you can get a big box of them from the £1 shop - always useful if you are using Krill paste, coloured maggots, or the red VdE groundbait - all of which tend to colour your fingers!

The reason I would recommend the Marigolds for separating rod/pole sections is that they have a slightly roughened surface which grips better!​

Tight Lines!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A small blob of superglue on each hand will stop them sliding off the blank when seperating the sections :).

robtherake

Reaction score
My old man always run the male rod spigot through his hair, he reckoned the natural oil in your hair just applied the right amount of oil to prevent this happening; he always did this before tackling up. And from my memory he was right. Sounds daft but some sense in it.

A quick rub with a candle works, as the actress said to the bishop.:wh:D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A big welcome to mellow yellow; it's nice to have someone make their first post with an offering rather than a request!

The problem with the candle is that once your sections are stuck, you need a time-machine as well. But it is an excellent preventative measure for the lucky few with foresight (grumbles he who has a landing-net handle wedged so fast a spot of jousting wouldn't shift it, sat in the garden awaiting either a bright idea or a hacksaw).

greenie62

Reaction score
...grumbles he who has a landing-net handle wedged so fast a spot of jousting wouldn't shift it....

Assemble the following:
- SWMBO's hair dryer set on Hi
- El sproggo with rubber gloves
- Yusen wi rubber gloves
- Pour some WD40/PlusGas/Penetrating Oil into junction between inner & outer handles and leave for 10 mins

Heat the outer handle with dryer, get your willing :rolleyes: accomplice to apply an ice-pack/bag of frozen peas to the inner part of handle - you grip the outer handle and pull/twist whilst El sproggo does the same with the inner section.

If it doesn't work - go and have a drink then try again!

Tip: DON'T leave the hairdryer in the garden !!:eek:mg:
Good Luck!

ken more

Reaction score
A small blob of superglue on each hand will stop them sliding off the blank when seperating the sections :).

This also helps to prevent accidentally leaving a section at home, but it can be difficult to drive to where you are fishing.:w:wh:)

chrissh

Reaction score
I have mentioned this in another post I keep 2 pieces of old bike inner tube in the bottom of my tackle bag 5-6 inch long and cut so they are a flat sheet …by wrapping the 2 pieces flat tube around the rod help to grip and twist. Also the flat tube is a good way of getting curls out of hook lengths by pulling the line though the folded rubber
Rubbing carbon dust on the joints help joint sticking. I use an old pencil for the carbon

robtherake

Reaction score
This works like magic, but needs a pair of accomplices. Position your assistants, pulling gently on either side, and tap gently with a hard object on the overlap of the two sections. The tapping breaks the seal and it comes apart effortlessly.