Shimano Baitrunner.

yorkieman

Reaction score
I've been looking around for Shimano ST/DL baitrunner but ended up with a s/hand XTEA.

Never used a baitunner before and Youtube doesn't explain in detail very much so here's hoping with FM.

I know how to set the rear clutch up as my 30 year old Diawa as one but this baitrunners got two. Is there an easy way of setting this up.

The other question is as I probably won't be out with a rod for a couple of months, what is the best position to store the baitrunner lever - On or Off or maybe it doesn't matter ?

Thanks.

Wishing all the FM members a Merry Christmas and New Year.

robtherake

Reaction score
Push the baitrunner lever to the on position and adjust baitrunner strength via the knurled ring in front of the main drag knob: the two systems are entirely separate.

When you've cast out and tightened up, move the baitrunner lever to on (having previously set the drag to your requirements - there's quite a wide range of settings) and you're fishing.

A bite will see line taken from the reel via the baitrunner drag; flicking the drag lever to off, or turning the handle until you feel the main drag re-engage, puts you in direct contact with the fish.

Have a play with the reel and you'll soon see what I mean.:)

yorkieman

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Starting to make a little sense as I thought both clutches were connected together.

The reel is in mint condition but as usual no instructions.

mikench

Reaction score
From one novice to another and simply passing on knowledge imparted on this forum, you now have two drags/ clutches . One is the type you are familiar with and you set it to allow a big/strong fish to take line/allow line to slip once it is hooked and you are playing it. This can be adjusted in the struggle!

The other and peculiar to baitrunners is the drag you set when the reel is set in free spool mode after casting. It determines how fast/easily the fish can take line when taking the bait and before you switch it off either manually or by striking!

If I have not explained this very well I will have to go to the bottom of the class:rolleyes:

I found that it needed a decent carp to make sense and to indicate the level of adjustment needed! My usual tiddlers had little effect;)

yorkieman

Reaction score
I turned my wife into a large Carp this afternoon using my lawn as the Trent, and I think I've got the idea of how this reel works now.
Must say it seems like a great idea.

Maybe March before I put this reel to the test as my age and cold/wet conditions are against me now.

If you don't hear of me again it's probably that the neighbours have reported me to the asylum.

greenie62

Reaction score
....If you don't hear of me again it's probably that the neighbours have reported me to the asylum.

:) More likely that your missus has dragged you down the Christmas shopping for turning her into a Carp! - by not mastering the clutch controls in time! :D:eek:mg:

Tight Lines!

ken more

Reaction score
I turned my wife into a large Carp this afternoon using my lawn as the Trent, and I think I've got the idea of how this reel works now.

Maybe March before I put this reel to the test as my age and cold/wet conditions are against me now.

If you don't hear of me again it's probably that the neighbours have reported me to the asylum.

Yes Yorkieman, the women folk have their uses for testing new fishing gear, however, they are not as daft as they make out and the cost for this co-operation is usually expensive and not to far away. Especially at this time of year, as i have found out to my cost in the past.:eek::)

Philip

Reaction score
As a kid my mother always used to be my line loading equipment…i.e she would have to stand there in the kitchen with a pencil through a spool of line as I wound it on a reel and me shouting repeatedly to keep it under more or less tension.

Happy days :D

john step

Reaction score

Don't wait too long into March for the Trent! I presume you know river finishes on the 14th....unless of course you are a well know angling journalist.:wh

Keith M

Reaction score
As a kid my mother always used to be my line loading equipment…i.e she would have to stand there in the kitchen with a pencil through a spool of line as I wound it on a reel and me shouting repeatedly to keep it under more or less tension.

Happy days :D

I usually load my line with the spool in a bucket of water and the line running through the pages of an old telephone directory to keep tension on it but occasionally I get my wife to help with a pencil through the spool, problem is that she can't see straight and I end up continually moving sideways to keep the line coming off in line with the spool and continually telling her to keep it under more or less tension. Lol.

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
Give her a couple of glasses of sherry and she will be fine Keith:) At least your wife shows a little interest!;)

Keith M

Reaction score
Whilst I do have my line coming off of the side of the new line spool in the same rotational direction that the reel balearm turns around I often find that because the line spool is twice the diameter of some of my reel spools: twist can still be imparted into the line and I often have to reverse the spool occasionally for a few turns to cancel out some of the twist; especially when I am winding 2 or 3 hundred metres of bulk line onto a spool.

If I am loading shallow 100mtr spools I hardly ever get any problems with line twist even when using a pencil through the spool centre method (famous last words Lol).

With the 'spool in the bucket of water and then through the telephone directory' method the line spool usually turns over on its own in the bucket of water whenever the line starts to build up any twist, so line twist isn't usually a problem, for me anyway (famous last words once again Lol).

Keith

Last edited: