I am officially gobsmacked at the stupidity!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whilst I tend to agree that it's a bit bonkers, the new fleece is not exactly the same as the second hand one. You can easily tell that from the pictures. Now this doesn't necessarily mean that the buyer isn't a total idiot, but the old one might be worth paying over the odds for. The fact that two bidders thought it worth more than £35 should tell us something.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

mikench

Reaction score
Given a choice between 2 potentially similar fleeces one worn and one new and cheaper ... well I know which I would choose!;)

sis the roach

Reaction score
I have bought a lot on ebay but have noticed people will bid and pay more for second hand for the items than new ones this I have noticed has been the case for years now they don't know the price of new cant be bothered to check the price of new ,or just idiots

theartist

Reaction score
I've put some of my stuff up for auction before at a discount and it's been bid up to three times higher than what I sell for on the buy it now format, both were in my shop at the same time and in the same category, I stop doing that now as I want people happy with their purchases and not feeling done even if it was their fault for bidding it higher than its usual price.

People can get carried away when bidding if they both want something also there's factors like setting a high bid, doing that one extra bid that becomes three and of course unscrupulous shilling by the seller.

Also there's the sellers feedback, postage times, returns policies and how their page looks that can justify paying a touch more for peace of mind.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've sold plenty on ebay...not for ages though because rods are the very devils to pack & post.

One of my early sales was 2 Orvis Battenkill fly reels both of which were at least 10 years old and very well used. Perfectly sound but cosmetically "well run in". They both fetched quite a bit more more than I paid for them and its not as if that reel wasn't still available. I think its just laziness on some people's part or this mistaken belief that ebay is always cheaper...its not.

robtherake

Reaction score
You can buy a good fleece for wearing to go fishing for around 15 quid
Or
You can buy a good fleece for wearing to go fishing but with a angling company logo on for 40 quid

...or you can trawl a few charity shops and get several first-class, little-worn fleeces from the likes of Craghoppers and Karrimor for just a few quid each. :cool:

ken more

Reaction score
I pay way over the odds for things on e-bay just to p!ss people off. I recently bought something for double the buy it now price, and p!ssed myself right off:D

thecrow

Reaction score
I think some get caught up in the competition element of bidding and end up paying over the odds just to be the "winner" bit daft really, if I bid on something I bid my maximum as what I would pay if I get it for less fine if it goes for more that's also fine, I wont pay over the odds.

B

binka

The bidding thing is a bit pointless for me as I bid my maximum but usually within a few seconds of the end of the auction.

No chance of a come back and getting into a bidding war and paying more than I'm prepared too, practically no chance for those who just up the bid each time.

Only time it doesn't really work is if someone's done the same but as I've already put my maximum bid in I wouldn't want to bid over that anyway and very often it comes in well below that maximum.

benny samways

Reaction score
Sniping software ruined bidding on Ebay.

Binka's technique used to be spot on for grabbing the item you wanted but thats gone out the window.

Also, there is a lot more idiots about these days:D