Rod recommendation

chrissh

Reaction score
Just booked a holiday at white acres July 2017 …most of the fishing will be on the mixed lakes. but I want to fish the carp lake for a couple of day all my rods are feeder and float … I after a carp rod and been looking at a 10ft 2.5-3.0 t/c stalking rod would this be ok for a fixed rod used on a rod pod with a bite alarm only be casting out 30-40 yards the reason I’m looking at the 10ft is that I do not carp fish a lot and I can use the rod for winter dead baiting for pike

I’ll be using my shimano 4000 bait runner reel with the rod

I don’t want to spend any more then £30-50 for the rod as it won’t be used a lot

These are the rod I’m looking at
PROLOGIC C.O.M. Carp Fishing Rod - 10ft 2.75lb
Wychwood Extricator MLT 10FT 3LB Carp Stalker
Shimano Tribal Velocity 10ft 3lb Carp Fishing Stalking Rod

sagalout

Reaction score
I thought whiteacres was a match type venue. Does it have big carp as well?

chrissh

Reaction score
I thought whiteacres was a match type venue. Does it have big carp as well?

This is from there web site

With 11 lakes to choose from there's common carp,mirror carp,ghost carp,f1s,tench,bream,roach,Rudd,perch,barbel.
For the specimen angler there are 2 lakes with carp running to 33lb and catfish to 73lb-both lake records.

john step

Reaction score
Chris, I had a week there many moons ago. There were some lumps in the lakes and I fished for them and not the matches in the other lakes.

I have mentioned on here before NGT 11 ft carbon travel rods. 2.75 TC / 4 Piece, and when assembled I guarantee you wouldn't find any difference in action and ability with a conventional 2 piece. A very slim blank.

They obviously pack down handy for holidays. You can leave two and two sections together to make a 2 piece for carrying in a quiver made up with a reel should you wish.

They cost about £35 so will not break the bank. I have two and wouldn't be without them

Now a word of warning re Whiteacres. Things may have changed so disregard this if they have.

When I was there it was well publicized in AT about someone getting all their gear nicked from their car whilst they were on the p8ss in the club.

It was suspected that someone was able to identify where their gear was by seeing which car was loaded with what gear and where it was parked beside which caravan.

It may well have been someone not staying and fishing a match. Or maybe not.

Luckily I chose to trolley my stuff each day and wasn't at so much risk.

Make sure the car is alarmed and gear out of sight as it must be well known that there is a lot of gear about for the taking.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Chris, I had a week there many moons ago. There were some lumps in the lakes and I fished for them and not the matches in the other lakes.

I have mentioned on here before NGT 11 ft carbon travel rods. 2.75 TC / 4 Piece, and when assembled I guarantee you wouldn't find any difference in action and ability with a conventional 2 piece. A very slim blank.

They obviously pack down handy for holidays. You can leave two and two sections together to make a 2 piece for carrying in a quiver made up with a reel should you wish.

They cost about £35 so will not break the bank. I have two and wouldn't be without them

Now a word of warning re Whiteacres. Things may have changed so disregard this if they have.

When I was there it was well publicized in AT about someone getting all their gear nicked from their car whilst they were on the p8ss in the club.

It was suspected that someone was able to identify where their gear was by seeing which car was loaded with what gear and where it was parked beside which caravan.

It may well have been someone not staying and fishing a match. Or maybe not.

Luckily I chose to trolley my stuff each day and wasn't at so much risk.

Make sure the car is alarmed and gear out of sight as it must be well known that there is a lot of gear about for the taking.

Thanks for the info john
We booked one of the wooden loges on the first lake next to the tackle shop
As like you I will trolley my tackle to the lakes

iain t

Reaction score
I was there for 2 weeks last year. One week for fishing and the other for the wife. I used my TFG 10ft classic 2.5lb rod. Get action very well made. Think you can pick up one for under £35. I landed a 28lb Common with it and was surprised how well it handled the lump. I highly recommend the rod. Used it for margins under the trees. It can chuck a 2oz weight and a PVE bag pretty far

robcourt82

Reaction score
The whiteacres festivals have been really well publicised this last couple of years and there hasn't been any mention or rumours that I've heard of regarding tackle thefts. Common sense usually prevails, keep it locked up and out of sight and I doubt you'll have any problem.

john step

Reaction score
The whiteacres festivals have been really well publicised this last couple of years and there hasn't been any mention or rumours that I've heard of regarding tackle thefts. Common sense usually prevails, keep it locked up and out of sight and I doubt you'll have any problem.

Rob and Chris have a look at the addition to my post.
There are several such items on line

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I would go for a john Wilson 1.75 test curve.
Very versatile rod