Does anyone else dislike the newer EA river level site?

B

binka

I can't get on with this latest version of the EA river level site.

The main problem is that the scale changes when extra water comes in so an inch or so difference on the graph at normal level looks pretty much the same as 18" when it's up and the scale has changed.

Surely it defeats the object of having a graph if the scale changes? :confused:

Anyone else noticed that, and prefer the previous version?

thecrow

Reaction score
Much preferred the old one and if it aint bust why try to fix it? I hadn't noticed the change in scale though its not something I would have expected.

john step

Reaction score
Oh so thats what I didn't get. I thought I was cracking up. They are only doing it to confuse me.:mad:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just dislike the current river levels, no graph can make them look better.:(

theartist

Reaction score
I think they have dumbed it down too much, whilst the new map is easier and a lot quicker to navigate the graphs are very basic now. The old one never used to update as quick as it used to so i'm guessing the cuts in funding may have something to do with it?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I preferred the previous one which wasn't very old anyhow, so why did they have to change it yet again. Imo it's gone worse each time they've changed it!

Philip

Reaction score
As with anything IT related updated or enhanced usually means "worse". They can then try and sell you a fix or patch later on.

The entire industry appears to be based on the premise - "if it works, break it"

robertroach

Reaction score
I checked this out for the first time just now - I didn't realise it existed, so something is better than nothing as far I am concerned.

If you want to go surfing (I'm a bit past it now) there are webcams on the best surf beaches so you can actually check out the surf before you commit yourself.
I just need the EA to put a couple of webcams at my favourite river venues. What are the chances?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It's one of my important sources of information in winter and times of changing levels. Don't particularly like the changing scale but for me the graphic is just a guide to what's happening. The measurement is the important thing, as it's different for each monitor up and down the river(s). I have several physical reference points which tell me what the actual river level looks like in terms of fishability.

theartist

Reaction score
I use the met office rainfall radar map as it updates every five minutes and you can playback from five hours ago, handy if you want to know what came down during the night upstream. You can also track where the rain clouds are heading for example right now in Herts we have had a heavy drizzle cloud park itself here for the last two hours and this is despite all the weather channels and websites saying it's dry! It's more up to date than the river levels graph and you can use it along with your own judgement to assess whether those levels have had a top up of recent rain.

Hope this link works
Weather and climate change - Met Office

B

binka

This is precisely what I mean about the latest version of the EA River Level site.

Looking at this you would think it was time to move the cattle to higher ground...

Fact is the river's only up around 14" :rolleyes:

And...

As you can see, there's little more room on the graph for when the river REALLY does get high and so the scale of the graph then changes... Which surely must completely negate the point of having a graph in the first place? :eek:mg:

I don't know who thought that one up :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

terry m

Reaction score
I drive past the Hants Avon most days, sometimes several times, and the Stour at least two or three times a week. That is all I need to determine that we need some rain and we need it soon!!!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I havent checked out the new site but the scale changing sounds a daft idea. The main dissapointment I had with previous version was that not enough days were plotted to put the current flow in context. From memory it looks like they have now extended the period shown a little to last five days. Ideally i would want to see two weeks or so with option to zoom in to see more precise detail or out for for longer time display. If the river has just had the first flush through for a month but is now fining down i would be out there like a shot (unless it was too cold!).

ribblemeister

Reaction score
Never got on with the old one and not tried the new one.
May I suggest you try gaugemap as I find this site excellent for using on the ribble always accurate and easy to navigate (no pun intended)