Marlow Angling Club Waters

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Hi
I used to be a member of Marlow AC in the 80s and have just re-joined . being 65 years I will get to fish a lot now.
I am trying to find out what is in their waters.
Can anyone help ?

Kind Regards

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
The huge pit at little marlow i think spade oak has bream tench and decent pike. Also a few good carp.

On reaching the water alongside the sewerage plant bear left past the house garden for some carp and tench spawning in the shallows during the close season.

Tench best walk towards the bottom end and left a hundred yards. Feeder or float at range over groundbait.

The Thames at Marlow well upstream of the bridge opposite Bisham Abbey does huge bags of bream 100lb plus and it has good perch in the deeper water as well as good chub.

Its also the spot for some large barbel. For the bream and barbel its really a night water.

Good luck.

peterjg

Reaction score
I was a member of MAC until a few years ago.

Spade End Pit: nice water, had several double figure pike but also blanked there a few times. Did hear of some decent roach coming from there.

Medmenham Thames: I regret not fishing there more, had roach, dace and bream from there. Best swim was downstream past the bend round to the left.

Town Stretch Thames: Had some really good bags of roach on hemp. Lots of bream unfortunately. Watch out for the rowers - they have no regard for anglers, they row up and down even in the dark with torches on the front of their boats. They show no consideration for other river users, bunch of cretins!

Hope this helps, good luck.

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.

I had a 9lbs Pike from the Ski Pit.. lost a couple due to the hook not coming out of the mackeral. Going to use sardines next time.

Tried the Town stretch of the River. Started up at Temple and worked down.
Lost count of the rowing boats. with the motorised trainers. plus joggers, dog walkers.and charging around sprogs all on muddy paths.
will try Riverwoods next.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
This may be of interest to 'steppe warrior' who is asking about these waters................

steppe warrior

Reaction score
Thanks for rooting these out TeeCee, appreciated.
think it will ultimately come down to a multi pronged approach in getting to know these waters better.
Walking around them from now onwards until early Apr when the new MAC year begins. Chatting to thos ethat are on the banks and finally getting involved with the work parties that will no doubt be occurring.
Appreciate the last will be purely voluntary on my behalf as I'm not yet a member, but I'd rather be lakeside doing anything than moping around indoors :)
:

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Don't think I will be night fishing The Ski Pit or Roach. I am 65 and have had a quadruple heart by pass. The thought of lugging a lot of gear over that bridge. Might do me some damage. Not like the good old days 70s and 80s.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I know what you mean about the bridge over the by-pass especially on a hot summers day, as I know from experience!!
Unfortunately they spoilt the 'roach pit' when they back filled half of it and created the steep banks along the back toward the old caravan site. In those days I had some wonderful bags of roach and tench...............Oh, and some reasonable bream in winter!

Don't dismiss the ski pit though as it holds some huge tench and many used to night fish it when we had access from the ski club end. A pity we lost that as it also means a long trudge to reach the better swims. I used to start the new season on the roach pit with a glass of bubbly at midnight, and many evenings I used to rush home from London and down to the water just to get a couple of hours fishing. Half a dozen tench to 5lbs (big in those days!) on ledgered flake with worm tip..................

Happy days...

Last edited:

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Yes Tee-Cee I cut my teeth on the Ski Pit. before the by pass.
First Tench came from it. First double figure Pike. used to fish the bank where to hotel is.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
From memory I seem to remember another water on the other side of the 'bridge' (now the housing estate) which was filled in when they built the by-pass?

Of course, Randalls Farm, which borders (or did) the ski pit had a very nice water for tench and crucians, but again it was back filled by old man Randall for no reason that I could ever understand.
Oh, and whilst on the subject, the very big pit on Randalls (used for skiing) holds some truly enormous tench and very big roach, IF you have the stomach for passing skiers racing through your swim...Almost an untouched water......maybe that has changed, though.....

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
The mention of Randalls Farm pit brings back memories of pleasant summer evenings crucian fishing in the mid 70's. Typical frustrating crucian fishing, sail-away bites, strike into nothing, with a success rate of around one fish to ten strikes.
Not too bad for crucians.....!

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
I also got on to fish Randalls Ski pit. Had Tench upto 5lbs. But mainly went for the Pike. from October.
I remember the time my mate had one on the railway bank. it was long and looked like a railway sleeper. It was putting up a determine fight.
Some guys were going to launch a speedboat. We asked them to wait, which the did. Once landed the Pike was unhooked and the guys came over and asked. " Are they all that big in here ? " to which we replied " No there is bigger ones " One of them then came out with " I'm not ski-ing out there " Hahaha The Pike measured 47" from snout to fork of the tail. it weighed 21lbs 4ozs. a bit on the skinny side. caught in October. In March it would be a lot heavier.
Fun days.