Prawns raw or cooked

mark_t

Reaction score
A question for the experts on here.

I want to try perch fishing with prawns at some point over the next few days, i have got some raw prawns will they work or do I have to use cooked ones?

john step

Reaction score
I am definitely not an expert but here's is my take on it. I just buy those value packs from the supermarket and use them straight from the bag once defrosted.
They may or may not have been cooked prior to freezing I am not sure. You can certainly eat them once defrosted so maybe they were cooked. You don't need any more cooking thats for sure.

Those that come from the deli counter with the legs/whiskers an all attached also work. (langoustines ?)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Cooked or uncooked work well enough. Cooked are generally easier to use, easier to buy and are, arguably, more commonly used.

I am definitely not an expert but here's is my take on it. I just buy those value packs from the supermarket and use them straight from the bag once defrosted.
They may or may not have been cooked prior to freezing I am not sure. You can certainly eat them once defrosted so maybe they were cooked. You don't need any more cooking thats for sure.

Those that come from the deli counter with the legs/whiskers an all attached also work. (langoustines ?)

Anyone using langoustines as bait has got more money than sense. They'll make the most ridiculously overpriced boilie seem cheap. Langoustines are more like the missing link between a king prawn and a lobster.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...qY3RAhWMNlAKHS94ArwQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=657

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...0ahUKEwiHoKm_qY3RAhVH1BoKHbQJBzAQhyYIHg&dpr=1

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...0ahUKEwiHoKm_qY3RAhVH1BoKHbQJBzAQhyYIJw&dpr=1

If it's clear-greyish-blueish, it's raw. If it's pinkish, it's been cooked.

ken more

Reaction score
I'm with Sam on this one and i don't mean to disrespect or insult anyone, but i was going to share a fantastic tip i received from a very successful angler regarding fresh or cooked prawn things (crustaceans)? But, if they can afford to use Langoustine or Dublin Bay Prawn, they can search for it emselves:w:D I'm hoping it features on my plate sometime over the festive period:w:w:D

Not the tip, the Langoustines:)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score

I'd steer well clear of eating raw prawns.
Grey= raw
Pink= cooked

john step

Reaction score
OK Guys...hands up... I thought they were called langoustines but after seeing the link they must be prawns as they come without being de-shelled. Langoustines are obviously bigger. I thought that was the name although to be fair I did put the name in brackets with a question mark.:eek:mg:

Philip

Reaction score
Fishing aside if someone can explain he difference between a Gamba and a Langoustine then let me know ! Shrimps, prawns, Gambas, Langoustines, Lobsters....opinions vary & thats without throwing crayfish into the mix !

Its a veritable culinary minefield out there ;):D

Ps for the fishing I'd pick the cooked ones as if you get a bit peckish you can just tuck in;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fishing aside if someone can explain he difference between a Gamba and a Langoustine then let me know ! Shrimps, prawns, Gambas, Langoustines, Lobsters....opinions vary & thats without throwing crayfish into the mix !

Its a veritable culinary minefield out there ;):D

Ps for the fishing I'd pick the cooked ones as if you get a bit peckish you can just tuck in;)

Gambas is nothing more than the Spanish word for prawn. It isn't a plural either. Singular isn't a gamba.

Philip

Reaction score
Gambas is nothing more than the Spanish word for prawn. It isn't a plural either. Singular isn't a gamba.

Ah I see you have fallen into the same pitfall as so many others there then Sam :)

Whilst it may be just a Prawn in Spanish, a prawn is not a prawn & therein lies the problem, not all prawns are the same and the Gamba appears to be of a different family of prawns than the prawn you have in your prawn cockatil (unless of course your unwittingly putting Gambas into your prawn cocktail :D) which is probably of the family Caridea...the Gamba is not this.

But then again, I stand to be corrected and truth be told having spent many an eventful time debating it over dinner tables I am still not totally sure myself :)

You are right about the S however ! ;-)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ah I see you have fallen into the same pitfall as so many others there then Sam :)

Whilst it may be just a Prawn in Spanish, a prawn is not a prawn & therein lies the problem, not all prawns are the same and the Gamba appears to be of a different family of prawns than the prawn you have in your prawn cockatil (unless of course your unwittingly putting Gambas into your prawn cocktail :D) which is probably of the family Caridea...the Gamba is not this.

But then again, I stand to be corrected and truth be told having spent many an eventful time debating it over dinner tables I am still not totally sure myself :)

You are right about the S however ! ;-)

Gambas may well refer to a different subspecies in Spain to what we commonly refer to as prawns. However, you wouldn't get langoustines if you ordered gambas in Spain. if something is being referred to as Gamba in English restaurants, I'd suggest that it's an affectation. I dare say that it sounds better on a menu than prawn or even king prawn.

shane99

Reaction score
Cooked for me, Lidl seem to do the best deal if you have one near you.

I usually give mine a fair dust of krill powder then freeze.

kickstart

Reaction score
No chance of fishing with prawns in my household. Not even at Christmas.

Prawns in a Goan curry are just too far too tasty to ever put on the hook for fishes.

Sorry fishes, enjoy your maggots.

john step

Reaction score
When we were in Spain we used to go to Chinese Restaurants which there are many.
The English translation on their menus read thus....
Fried rice with SPRIMPS:eek:mg:

Last edited: