Waders

mikench

Reaction score
I probably do not need them but they may be useful. I already have a pair of fishing wellies which are just below the knee for general wet and cold weather fishing and which i could use in shallow rivers .

However I do plan to try more river fishing so I thought some waders may be useful. They will be a combined birthday present next month.

I have seen some Vass waders with the built in boot which are not too expensive. Ideally I want just one pair I can use all year round with or without long johns but doubt that I will ever venture into water above waist height. Are bib and brace better than the thigh length wellies?

Which set and type would you experts recommend? I don't want shirts, aftershave or the like and think additional tackle is best.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's little danger of getting a boot full of water with chest waders, but thigh waders are less bother to get into and usually more comfortable to walk any distance in. However, boot style and the material they are made from also play their part.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a lover of wearing chest waders, i'm just not comfy in 'em. I prefer thigh waders but it's quite difficult to find some made of quality rubber which is supple and long lasting. My current pair have lasted ten years up to now! Unfortunatly they don't make them (Hunter Streamfisher) any longer and I think they'd stoppedmaking them way back when I got mine. I have a feeling that mine are on their last leggs, so to speak and so have been trying to find some to replace them when they do crumble. I have found some to replace them but they're not cheap...they're Aigle ......

THIGH BOOTS AIGLE PARCOURS 2 STREAM

they do them with a neoprene lining also which would be good for winter fishing. The reason i've decided to go for them (unlined) is because i've had Aigle wellies for years now and they have been superb!

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Sam. I suspect that you lean towards two pairs for the reasons you mention. Ease of putting on and taking off are important considerations as are breath ability and comfort/relaxed fit.

I have only ever looked at a pair of greys stratos bib and brace but these do not have boots built in just Velcro straps and neoprene socks. My local tackle shop have them with a pair of matching wading boots thrown in.

I think I would prefer dry feet however!

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

I'm not a lover of wearing chest waders, i'm just not comfy in 'em. I prefer thigh waders but it's quite difficult to find some made of quality rubber which is supple and long lasting. My current pair have lasted ten years up to now! Unfortunatly they don't make them (Hunter Streamfisher) any longer and I think they'd stoppedmaking them way back when I got mine. I have a feeling that mine are on their last leggs, so to speak and so have been trying to find some to replace them when they do crumble. I have found some to replace them but they're not cheap...they're Aigle ......

THIGH BOOTS AIGLE PARCOURS 2 STREAM

they do them with a neoprene lining also which would be good for winter fishing. The reason i've decided to go for them (unlined) is because i've had Aigle wellies for years now and they have been superb!

Do you go with a bigger size than normal: I have rugby players thighs!!;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I did a lot of wading, I'd probably have four pairs, two thigh and two chest, neoprene for winter and goretex for summer. Don't discount stocking foot waders, you don't get wet feet with them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you go with a bigger size than normal: I have rugby players thighs!!;)

No Mike I just get my normal size but you may prefer a half or full size bigger. Only snag when they're to loose fitting is they can cause blisters on your heels if your walking any distance. You can prevent this with thick socks or a plaster on your heel.

mikench

Reaction score
Cheers Ian. They look good and size 10 (44) should suit.

I will have have a look at the alternatives!;)

keora

Reaction score
I probably do not need them but they may be useful. I already have a pair of fishing wellies which are just below the knee for general wet and cold weather fishing and which i could use in shallow rivers .

However I do plan to try more river fishing so I thought some waders may be useful. They will be a combined birthday present next month.

I have seen some Vass waders with the built in boot which are not too expensive. Ideally I want just one pair I can use all year round with or without long johns but doubt that I will ever venture into water above waist height. Are bib and brace better than the thigh length wellies?

Which set and type would you experts recommend? I don't want shirts, aftershave or the like and think additional tackle is best.

Vass thigh waders are a good brand to wear, not too expensive at around £50, I'm on my second pair.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/vass-600-series-thigh-waders~25275.html

For safety when wading, buy the type which has built in studs moulded into the sole. These give a much better grip on gravel and rocks when wading. You can also buy studs separately and screw them into the sole, but diy studs have a tendency to fall off after a few months - inbuilt studs last a lot longer.

I do a lot of fly fishing and I make sure I always use a collapsible wading staff.

Waders made of thick rubber/pvc will keep out the cold in spring, but can be rather hot in summer.

If you buy chest high waders, they are heavy.

They may tempt you to wade too deeply.

Another option is to buy modern breathable waders and matching boots. I tried a cheap set earlier this year (Diawa Volare waders and boots totalling about £120). The soft rubber grips on the boots started wearing out after just a few sessions, and the waders themself sprung a leak after two months. I replaced them with a higher quality (Vision) waist high waders and boots (around £250 total). These are relatively cool in summer. Drawbacks are that the fabric is quite delicate so it's easily punctured, and it takes a while to climb into them and do up the laces. Sounds daft but it's true.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve had hunter studded waders in the past that only lasted a couple of years before feeling damp inside after a day fly fishing on reservoirs, hunter wellies that have averaged five years each fishing twice a week and beating tho'out the autumn and winters and this year have "upped " my choice by some fifty odd pounds to be dissapointed .
Wellie, wader- thigh or chest is a wild card for me as the old "buy cheap buy twice" maxim doesnt seem to apply in this section of angling wear. To emphasise it three years ago I had to buy some chest waders as a water I started fishing was tree lined hampering casting quite severely from the bank, even thigh waders wouldnt get me far out enuf to clear the trees on the cast so I purchased a pair of cheap chest waders from fishing republik for £20 and they have done yeoman service with no signs of letting me down.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

They'll be good ones Mike, I have a pair of Greys breathable chesties and they're good ones, just a pain in the harris putting on and drying off etc.

I've only heard good reports about these....

CLEARANCE BISON ZIP FRONT BREATHABLE CHEST WADERS | eBay

Several friends of mine have them and swear by 'em. The boots are one ebay for about 40 i'sh notes.

It might be worth considering waist waders, I do fancy a pair of them myself at some point. As I said though my preference is for the rubber thigh's.

B

binka

Out of interest and as a possible solution to the most annoying thing about waders...

Has anyone ever gone a size bigger than they actually take to try to overcome the compression when you've been in the river for an hour or two, and if so did it work?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
With stocking foot chest waders,the boots need to be at least 2 sizes bigger than your foot size other wise you will not get your foot into the boot and be comfortable.

trotter2

Reaction score
It's best to try them on first as some of the new ones are made for people with match stick legs.
I have always gone for ocean thigh waders but unless you spend a fortune expect to replace them often. They are not made like the old rubber jobs from years ago.

lutra

Reaction score
It's best to try them on first as some of the new ones are made for people with match stick legs.
I have always gone for ocean thigh waders but unless you spend a fortune expect to replace them often. They are not made like the old rubber jobs from years ago.

Given my 100% track record of trashing every pair of waders I've owned and its been many over the years, while out shopping for yet another pair this year, I was gob smacked to find out that you can and some anglers do spend as much as a grand on waders.

B

binka

I was gob smacked to find out that you can and some anglers do spend as much as a grand on waders.

Jeez a grand on a pair of waders :eek:

Mind you I suppose if money's no object and they offer the comfort then who am I to argue question it?

I've currently got a pair of Le Chams but unlike their wellies, which I would put on a par with the very best, I don't rate them and like Trotter eluded to I reckon they were designed for Kermit or someone with matchstick legs.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Philip

Reaction score
I probably do not need them but they may be useful.

For that reason alone I wouldnt spend a fortune. I have 3 pairs...a breathable pair of chest waders with neoprene sock ends that I couple with a pair of size 50! walking boots..idea being that I use those when I expect a allot of walking and wading. I also have a Neoprene set of thigh waders and a bog standard set of rubber thigh waders both with the boots integrated onto them.

I mention this as the reality is that you will probably end up using waders allot less than you think. My chesties have been used once, my neoprene thigh waders have never got wet and my rubber thigh waders live in the boot of my car and make occasional outings usually when I decide to wade out into the river to trot which I always think is one of the nicest ways of trotting a float.

I would just get yourself a simple rubber pair to start and see if you actually use them much, you can always upgrade to a mega Gortex pair of the dog danglies after if you need to.

Whilst having separate boots can be nice from a walking perspective, having integrated boots saves allot of time both for the putting on and more importantly after when you take them off... as you dont have a separate pair of soaked boots to store and dry after as well.

Last edited: