Damn! its frosty

shane99

Reaction score
Ok, thats Christmas out of the way. Really want to get out there but its frosty in Essex & the temps just plummeted. I just know it will be tough & I have to juggle between jobs & fishing for the rest of the week.

Found a good article today searching the web trying to convince myself to go ... Understanding water temperature — Angling Times

Its what we know really but never seen figures put on it before.

It didnt help.

Any tips/ideas as I have 100 Lob worms to get through ?
Probably quiver tipping maggot feeder looking at the forecast

jasonbean1

Reaction score
If you know where there's some chub have a go for them, half a one on a hook and just flick a few bits of lob in every 20 minutes.

Well that's my plan for tomorrow.......

peterjg

Reaction score
Good article though they did not mention grayling which feed in very low temperatures. I have been recording water temperatures for literally decades, though now I don't bother in the summer months.

There always exceptions but:

Small carp in heavily stocked venues can still be caught in low water temperatures but for big carp the water needs to be at least 47F to make it worthwhile. I have caught big carp in very cold water but it is quite frankly not worth the effort.

Tench feed better in cold water (especially gravel pits) than most anglers think. I have caught quite few by accident when carp fishing in silly conditions.

Perch feed better than roach when it is very cold.

Chub feed in any conditions but don't expect big bites!

Roach feed (usually) above 42F, and best an hour before and an hour after dusk.

Pike feed in really cold water, very often will pick up a dead bait and not properly move off with it so be careful with your set up. For some reason I have always struggled to catch pike when it is foggy?

I repeat - there are always exceptions! Hope this helps.

B

binka

I agree 100%, you should go with the smaller maggots and post me the lobs :)

Best thing I can say is just get out there, this was my peg this morning on a water barely two feet deep but the fish are obviously used to it as they have little choice...

It was a slow day but still plenty to be had.

I think you can maximise your efforts a lot by fishing midday to dusk instead of getting an early start, sometimes it's just a short few minutes when the day's temperature peaks, or at dusk, when the fish decide to feed.

shane99

Reaction score
John Step, just cant get into pike mate, Jason - would love to go for some Chub
Peretjg - I concur, my mate nearly got a tench when he hooked one on single maggot on a 1lb 3 oz hooklink fishing for live bait last winter - on a gravel pit. He was more surprised than the Tench was & he lost it :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Binka, yes definitely last half of the day when its cold :)

dicky123

Reaction score
Coming round to that way of thinking re -temps Steve. I go too early and get cold in my old bones.

Better to start about 11am onwards, fish until 4pm. Max.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I think you can maximise your efforts a lot by fishing midday to dusk instead of getting an early start, sometimes it's just a short few minutes when the day's temperature peaks, or at dusk, when the fish decide to feed.

Do you think it is a waste of time first thing in these conditions? I have the chance to go tomorrow (river Wey - silvers / Chub - maggots & bread) and was going to go first light, but cold easily be tempted to have a lie in if it will improve my chances :)

B

binka

Do you think it is a waste of time first thing in these conditions? I have the chance to go tomorrow (river Wey - silvers / Chub - maggots & bread) and was going to go first light, but cold easily be tempted to have a lie in if it will improve my chances :)

In all honesty Hugh I think much will depend on the water, I reckon first light is always a good shout for a fish but tend to find it then goes quiet until early afternoon until dusk.

If I were down to a few hours and had to choose at this time of year it would be early afternoon to dusk for me.

mikench

Reaction score
I will follow the advice on this here forum and have a lie in and then go fishing tomorrow. Perfick!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Had an hour and a half spinning first thing on the Gloucester Canal. It was freezing cold to start with and got colder as the sun came up. Caught one pike and then my feet got too cold (lack of preparation - thin socks!) and I got fed up with having to de-ice the rod rings every cast, so I was home by 9:00 for a cuppa. Hopefully do it all again tomorrow, but it'll be late morning.

Philip

Reaction score
Ok, thats Christmas out of the way. Really want to get out there but its frosty in Essex & the temps just plummeted. I just know it will be tough & I have to juggle between jobs & fishing for the rest of the week.

Found a good article today searching the web trying to convince myself to go ... Understanding water temperature — Angling Times

Its what we know really but never seen figures put on it before.

It didnt help.

100 lobs and Frosty weather...thats got Chub written all over it ! :) ..I'd set my stall up for them and perhaps a bonus Perch or Roach might come along as well.

Interesting article although I would love to know how they arrived at the conclusion the fish will feed by sight rather than scent in cold conditions !

shane99

Reaction score
I agree 100%, you should go with the smaller maggots and post me the lobs :)

Best thing I can say is just get out there, this was my peg this morning on a water barely two feet deep but the fish are obviously used to it as they have little choice... sometimes it's just a short few minutes when the day's temperature peaks, or at dusk, when the fish decide to feed.

Well got out there today from noon to 4pm & as predicted only the maggot feeder produced, had a float fished Lob in the margins which lined up nicely with the quiver tip so I could watch both but not a touch on that. A few roach up to 8oz was had so an ok day :)