Small shot.

dicky123

Reaction score
Has anyone found a simple way of attaching small shot, like size 8s?

I ask because I have some and spill far more than I attach, any hints tips would be welcome.

Cheers.

seth49

Reaction score
Another vote for stotz, there a lot easier to use than round shot,and they stop on the line better as well.
I find them easier to attach with a pair of forceps, but I've got hands like a bunch of bananas.:)

john step

Reaction score
And yet another Stotz vote. Matrix do their own version that look identical.
I couldn't be bothered trying to put 8 and 10 shot on. With banana fingers, life is too short.
I bought Daiwa shot pincers off fleebay that hold and the stotz from the backside so to speak until you put the line in the groove and gently squeeze.

Just seen on Billy Clarke website that they do the identical pincers branded under their own name.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Anchor Quickshot

Less hassle than even stotz manage to be.

Sam, that seems like a good idea. Not seen them before. I wonder if it works any better than the Dinsmore version that was on sale a few years ago. I bought a couple that worked for maybe 2 or 3 times then it packed up.
They soon disappeared from the shelves.
Lets hope this version works better for longer.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, that seems like a good idea. Not seen them before. I wonder if it works any better than the Dinsmore version that was on sale a few years ago. I bought a couple that worked for maybe 2 or 3 times then it packed up.
They soon disappeared from the shelves.
Lets hope this version works better for longer.

I've been using them for about five years now. The biggest issue I've had with them is availability. When I finally get through a tub, it's often difficult to get hold of a new one.

chrissh

Reaction score
I use Dinsmores selectcta gripper STYX shot dispenser 8, 9.10, 12, styles very similar to stotz. The dispenser comes with a Applicator Tool which clip under the dispenser
Think the last lot cost about £4.50

rsz_s-l160.jpg

View image in gallery

rayner

Reaction score
Shot are a real problem for me as I can't add more shot whilst fishing.
All my rigs are made up at home and to manage most shots even stotz I use double sided tape to make things easier.
If the size of the shot is your problem to spell out exactly how I do it with one hand.
Put the tape on my bench shot split up on the tape stick the line to the tape in the split and lightly squeeze the shot closed with style pliers.
It's far easier to do than explain.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I make my rigs at home and test them in the bath.

My preference is for Sensas shot in sizes 8's to 12's and I use tweezers to hold them and close them onto the line.

It is more dense than Stotz and therefore acts more naturally in the water, or at least I think so therefore well worth the "hassle" IMO

dicky123

Reaction score
No being funny but what type of tweezers hold shot Peter? Guys?

They must be special type yes?

Richard.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use both styl pliers as well as a pair of fly tying tweezers that I bought years ago from Orvis.

Once you get the hang of using them it is pretty swiftly accomplished, albeit a little fiddly.

robcourt82

Reaction score
I must admit, Stotz are much easier to use. I put them on with stonfo style printers as its much easier than trying to use teeth. I think stotz are easier to move once on the line too!

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Peter.

Don't the rubber ducks and plastic boats get in the way?:D

Sounds a great idea.:)