Liquidised bread

joshluke19

Reaction score
Liquidised bread - never used it before. I have always caught Chub on maggot but would like to try this method out with flake on the hook so I have a couple of questions regarding LB:

1. Do I dry it out for a few days prior to blending it?

2. Upon arrival at the river, do I add water to it like any other ground bait, if so, stiff or sloppy?

Thanks in advance.

Philip

Reaction score
Well I dont know if its the text book advice but I dont dry it and just blend as is and its fine. Some people take the crusts off but again I dont bother as I want a simple life and i cant see a fish turning its nose up if there is a bit of crust in there.

If you add water it will very easily turn to soup so I just squeeze it dry and chuck it in. The harder you squeeze the longer it takes to break up.

I actually dont liquidze bread very often anymore...what I now do is simply roll a slice of bread in.my hands on the bank till it becomes crumb and chuck that in. I should mention I am targeting bigger fish when I do this...if I was fishing bread punch for tiny fish in a match for example I would probably take a bit more time and liquidize it properly.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
joshluke19.............I seem to say this all the time, but if you haven't already done so I suggest a trawl through the 'search' section might just offer some very good information on this subject....
It has been discussed many times in the past and it certainly gave me a ton of 'new' information to work with. More than one way to skin a cat, as they say..

Well worth a looksee IMHO!

trotter2

Reaction score
Fresh bread liquidised ,do not add water bung it in an open ended feeder and a big lump of flake on the hook.
If you want to float fish use bread mash instead to feed.
That's dried out bread soaked in water and mashed up .

joshluke19

Reaction score
Thanks Phillip, I will definitely take the latter method in to consideration as there are some fairly big chub (5lb) on my local river.

Funnily enough Tee, I was reading through some old posts regarding the subject at hand, the two questions I asked where the only things I couldn't find information on. When I did google it, all I got where breadcrumb fish recipes lol.

Thanks a lot Trotter, that's what I though seen as it squeezes together when dry. Also thanks for the lastbitof information, will definitely try that when float fishing next, saves on maggot money.

rayner

Reaction score
For chub I would rather fish flake and if I need any feed then mashed bread as Trotter said.
I always add water to liquidised for two reasons. I like to throw small balls and the water makes this easier because of the extra weight and the water also prevents the bread from floating.

joshluke19

Reaction score
Right thanks Rayner, is liquidised bread okay to use with a feeder on Stillwater's or is breadcrumb the better alternative?

robcourt82

Reaction score
A couple of liquidated bread pointers.
For chub and bigger fish leave the crusts on, small let fish buy crustless bread.
Do it fresh and it will bind without water. The harder you squeeze it the longer it will float before it sinks.
If you need to get it down quicker add some fine aquarium gravel to it, don't need much but it makes a big difference.

joshluke19

Reaction score
Love the gravel idea, guess I'll be stealing from ol' Bob's tank:wh

If I was to use fresh LB in a feeder, once it hits the bottom of the bed, will it rise to the surface?

robcourt82

Reaction score
Once it's down it will stay down, its very lightweight. If you squeeze it hard without the gravel in you trap a lot of air inside and that's what makes it float. Once it's under the surface tension it does sink but will break up quickly and follow the flow. By adding the gravel it will go down really quickly but still break up quickly and some will still move downstream with the flow.

joshluke19

Reaction score
Thanks Kieth, will definitely bookmark that article for later. I can't remember if it was a video or article of his that I read\watched on fishing for Barbel but it was very informative so I'm certain this will be a big help.

Right, thanks Rob. I understand what you mean now regarding the Gravel. :)

the dace

Reaction score
If you have any bread left from a loaf that is almost stale then rather than throw it to the ducks, feed the birds or put it in the bin, liquidise it in the food processor and put it into a freezer bag and bung it in the freezer.

I have a whole freezer drawer full of it. When you you go fishing then take a bag and it is ready to use instantly.

White bread is better than brown - brown is too dry and doesn't bind together so easily when balling it up to throw in. You could probably add a touch of water to the brown or as some do a bait flavour/glug.

rubio

Reaction score
I have fished with bread more and more in the past 4-5 years. I think liquidised bread is quite a different animal to mashed bread.
My preference is for the freshest possible on the hook whether punch or flake. Crust too. Stale bread gets dried out to a crispy hard crumbling rock, then stored in a large tin container in the shed. The gospel for any bread guides has to be Keith Speers articles. Anyone using bread as bait would benefit from a read of that I think. "My way with bread" I think. Sorry not up to pasting links.
In summer I often buy a loaf after work and head up to do a bit of crucian fishing at a club pond. In unprepared moments such as that I simply chuck 8 or so slices in the landing net and drown it for a while, then I leave it in the net in the water whilst I set up. Twist it up in the net to strain it and then I mash it up a bit at a time in one hand ready to flick in over my float. This is full of irregular lumps and different sizes fall at differing rates.
Winter brings out the bags of frozen liquidised bread I store away ready and waiting. Typically I will wet it down because I find it falls more evenly. I often find that winter roach have a depth they want to be at and are unwilling to shift. With a bit of guess work I can estimate how wet it needs to be to descend reliably. Fresh bread comes out of the liquidiser far more sticky and breaks up just as others have described. Good for cupping in with a pole but I tend to feed a thumbnail size blob frequently. Every cast ideally, cos that means there is a shedful of fish waiting. Flicking in small blobs of freshly liquidised bread doesn't work too well for me. Can't seem to get it where I want it regularly and it often ends up flying all over.
On the river I tend to use much more coarsely mashed bread either in feeder or by hand. Again quite wet to get it down below the main flow. I don't use gravel, but others do very successfully. My preference to add weight and sinking power is a handful of hemp. Not much tho.
I've gone on long enough to be very boring now but I do want to encourage others to persist with bread. It catches most fish and is cheap and easy. Makes it much more likely you get on the bank which has to be good.
Just to finish my true tip is to try different sizes of bait whatever way you fish bread. You know how fish can be, sometimes only a 2.5mm punch will do even if it is a 4lb chub.