Princes Albert Angling Society

mikench

Reaction score
I have , somewhat surprisingly and much earlier than expected, received an invitation to join in 2017! I am pleased and consider i would be daft to decline although i can defer for a year.

Membership of this huge club did crop up on another post I participated in and I recall the general consensus was favourable. What do members on here think particularly those who are , have been or aspire to be members think?

I would have too much choice really but several good waters close by. I think I will join but, as always, would appreciate your views!;)

ian g

Reaction score
Mike,
I've been a member for around 15 years , great value with lots of varied waters. I mainly coarse fish rivers . The still waters are good for varied fishing but probably not the best carp waters available. I live in north Shropshire so the Severn and Dee are good for me , I also fish Tattenhall which is good for crucians and tench , Marbury is a fabulous mere with great roach fishing . There is loads to go at .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PAAS is undoubtedly a well appointed club with a lot of venues personally I am a little against some of their more draconian rules, so wouldn't join if I lived in that area.

That said, it has to be a leading club in the country.

kickstart

Reaction score
PAAS is undoubtedly a well appointed club with a lot of venues personally I am a little against some of their more draconian rules, so wouldn't join if I lived in that area.

That said, it has to be a leading club in the country.

Are they draconian rules or entirely necessary rules in order to gain and retain the huge range of fishing leases they have and perhaps encourage the odd angler to engage brain before causing problems for themselves and the club?

It could be argued that the club is one of the best large clubs in the country because of the rules. Can't say I personally have any issues complying with the rules. When fishing a new and unfamiliar water, I simply have a read of the club handbook first then there are no issues.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I lived closer to their part of the world, I'd join like a shot, if they'd have me. Just watch out for the bailiffs, I've heard that one of them is a right sod.;):D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I lived closer to their part of the world, I'd join like a shot, if they'd have me. Just watch out for the bailiffs, I've heard that one of them is a right sod.;):D

Imo Chris, it would be well worth you joining anyhow...get your name down man!
Yer, some of 'em are like little Hitlers :wh :D

The bad one

Reaction score
Pay your money mike stick to the rules and you'll have no problems
Adolf ??????

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Oh and I forgot to mention PAAS is the largest single (not an association of clubs) club in the UK and Europe. 40 years man and boy this year I've been a member??????

Last edited:

noutbutacold

Reaction score
I was a member. It's probably worth it, but alas In my opinion it's not as good as a lot would like you to believe.

1. The trout fishing was ok, They have a handful of Rods on Blithfield reservoir which from the brief look I took this year didn't fish as well this year as it has previously. I think you get six visits which on day ticket prices would cover the cost of the PAAS ticket.

2. The 'good' carp waters are invariably crammed.

3. They seem to hold onto a lot of waters that are in their own words terrible (There was a water near Leek that they have year on year despite their own fishing reports year on year saying its practically pointless to fish)

4. There members forum is the most bizarre experience known to man. Your not allowed an opinion apparently.

5. There are some great river beats. If you know them then great but if your a worker and have to travel then you could face trips where you don't wet a line. Again the internal secrecy works against this.

That said if I still lived within the catchment area I would still be a member. (Well not now I'd probably be strung up) Its a huge club which appears to value quantity of water over quality of water.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
5. There are some great river beats. If you know them then great but if your a worker and have to travel then you could face trips where you don't wet a line. Again the internal secrecy works against this.

So you join a club and want the hot spots spoon feeding to you then :eek:mg:.

If you want instant glory then fish a commie where it doesn't matter what peg you fish in as you'll still get a fish a chuck :rolleyes:

oyster

Reaction score
There isn't an interview ;) although you will have to attend a meeting.
I haven't yet renewed after my first year, I am debating it, I think I have till the end of Jan to renew. I fish rivers mainly and what I have liked is that the Severn stretches are sparsely fished. I blanked only once or twice in 10 or so visits barbel fishing last year, which isnt bad going. I just wished they had more water in the middle and lower to fish. The Dove and Trent stretches I found tough however, doubtless others have caught well there.

mikench

Reaction score
Interesting! Whilst I plan to try river fishing i will frequent still waters mostly and there are plenty of those locally i can use. I will join and evaluate again next year!

mikench

Reaction score
Have a look on their website PAAS for a list of all their waters Graham. The list is impressive and I am sure they have stretches of the Wye. I am not yet a member as explained in my opening post so cannot comment further!

oyster

Reaction score
Have they got any decent waters near Ross on Wye please chaps?

They have 1 stretch of the wye which is the most southerly water they have. After that you're looking one stretch of the severn around Worcester and a few on the Teme. The vast majority of the water is north west of Birmingham.