Small particle hookbait

mikench

Reaction score
In this week's Angling Times an angler caught a 16lb 1oz barbel using a small particle hook bait on a size 12 hook. I cannot visualise how you put a small particle i.e. a grain of barley/ spelt/ tare or hemp seed on a 12 hook and then catch an enormous barbel with it. He did fish however over a bed of particles so maybe the hook with particle attached was inconspicuous amongst all the particles!:)

What do our barbel experts think?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What you think of as small and what said barbel angler thinks of as small could be two different things. I'd doubt his bait being particularly small if it's being fished with a size 12 hook. He probably isn't fishing a grain of hemp on the hook!

However, there are ways of fishing particles as hookbaits with bigger hooks. Multiple small particles can be superglued to hooks or hairs. Alternatively, Kryston do a product called Bogey that can be rolled in particles and hair rigged.

mikench

Reaction score
Very interesting and something else I had never heard of!:rolleyes:

Could you not just roll some paste which you have wrapped around a boilie or small cage in small bird seed/ particles to achieve a similar effect? I feel a little experiment coming on. :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
Very interesting and something else I had never heard of!:rolleyes:

Could you not just roll some paste which you have wrapped around a boilie or small cage in small bird seed/ particles to achieve a similar effect? I feel a little experiment coming on. :rolleyes:

All fish can become preoccupied with small baits or indeed small naturals, at times the only way to catch is to match the hatch so to speak, I first used hemp on a hair rig during the very hot summer of 1976, it was very successful in difficult conditions.