How many times in 2016

john step

Reaction score
Firstly, all the best to all FM people for 2017.

Looking back at my diary I only managed 73 trips in 2016 due to family commitments.(Yes it does seem nerdy keeping records I know)

Any number of trips out less than upper 3 figures and I am feeling hard done by.

Catches are down with me flitting about trying to cover everything and not getting my teeth into anything.
When I was at work I realistically only managed about 40 trips a year.

How many times did you manage to get out. I can't help wondering what the average is.

mikench

Reaction score
I haven't kept count John but doubt I managed many more that you managed due to a variety of reasons . Now I have acquired some decent cold and wet weather gear I will be out more regularly and not be put off as much by bad weather . When I join PAAS I will really have to make an effort and try to go twice a week for full days and the odd evening as well in the summer months.

Had planned to go today but thwarted by events! There is a lot to be said for being a single orphan :rolleyes: Not really!:D

theartist

Reaction score
Good question John,

As a fellow 'Nerd of the records' I've checked and I've done 50 trips excactly

Surprising considering I make a new years resolution to go at least twice a week as a course of keeping healthy and getting out. Plus there's the holidays where I do five trips in a week.

Yet it still works out less than one per week!!

Must be due to not getting out much in the river close season plus being too busy before Xmas then there's the odd illness and family prob's with relatives in and out of hospital etc, and with that in mind I'm grateful to get out as much as I do as it could be a lot worse and i'm sure there's plenty who would bite tha hand off getting out once a week

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I never keep records of the amount of trips I did, that would have totally depressed me, I mark down when I have caught something worth keeping a record off !!

With a Stroke and a Heart attack this year, I went fishing about 12 times, so hope to do better next year.

It's the first time in 60 years I did not go Night fishing, hoping to put that behind me.

Roll on 2017.

Bob

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I managed 89 trips in 2016 but ought to get out more; the local roads were gridlocked due to major roadworks much of the past year and just a chance things will improve next year.

joshluke19

Reaction score
I managed 89 trips in 2016 but ought to get out more; the local roads were gridlocked due to major roadworks much of the past year and just a chance things will improve next year.

Don't worry I'm sure some b*****d will start working on the cables 20 yards down the road than they were this year :eek:mg:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Don't worry I'm sure some b*****d will start working on the cables 20 yards down the road than they were this year :eek:mg:

It wasn't so much the utilities work - plenty of that and no doubt more to come - but the major road rebuilds one after another with the nearest one completely closing one road for 4 months, now finished. Even my one blank of the year was due to a venue rethink when I got to near the venue to find the road being resurfaced, shut with the fishery shut, and went elsewhere to no avail. Already notification of several major roadworks in the new year...

I must try to get out more early morning or late evening in the summer to miss the traffic.

peterjg

Reaction score
I went fishing 101 times in 2016, blanked 6 times. Would have gone more often but spent a month renovating my conservatory. Note to myself: must try harder.

Best wishes to all for 2017.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Not kept count but would think 70 to 80 times mainly pool and canal next year i hope to make it more river than pool & canal planing the first river trip for tomorrow all being well .

PG ...

GT56

Reaction score
Just completed my diary and graced the bank on 57 occasions and fittingly in a variety of locations.

There's nothing wrong in keeping a diary/journal you need a reminder of all the blanks, bad pegs drawn and poor weather to really appreciate success.

For the record I've started marking this year diary with some planned fishing holidays and trips.

Happy New Year everyone.

rayner

Reaction score
I just get out when I can, very rarely miss a week and if I'm fit I try for three days per week.
When I was a worker I only managed once every couple of weeks but since I jacked it all in (forced) I now spend more time on the bank, with the help of my wife.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I managed a truly pathetic six trips. I spent about four times that many days in hospital and had about twice as many chemo sessions as fishing ones. Apart from all the dreadful national news of 2016, it was a pretty naff one on a personal basis too!. Heres hoping for a lot more nice stuff this year!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don’t, and never have, kept records apart from the odd pic/report for Simon’s ‘how did you get on thread’ and pb’s/pics of specimen fish. I go fishing whenever I wish, which is normally a couple of 5 or 6 hour day session a week – with many other interests there’s often not enough hours in the day (no witty remark about getting up earlier please;)) I’ts a good job I don’t have to make time for work as well...............:)

PS Hope you're soon back in good shape Caco, all the best for the New Year....

john step

Reaction score
I managed a truly pathetic six trips. I spent about four times that many days in hospital and had about twice as many chemo sessions as fishing ones. Apart from all the dreadful national news of 2016, it was a pretty naff one on a personal basis too!. Heres hoping for a lot more nice stuff this year!!

I am sure we all wish you better health for this year so you can do a bit more fishing.
Tight lines:)

Philip

Reaction score
This thread got me thinking and I looked back at my diary and saw I fished 56 times in 2016 which sounds quite allot but just to outgeek everyone (yes I am that sad) it actually only came to 146 hours of fishing, so my average trip was only about 2.5 hours each time.

Unfortunately I cant see that changing much in 2017 & I will probably be even more restricted this year so most of my sessions are going to be very short off the cuff ones.

rubio

Reaction score
I'm not one for keeping records of sessions, HDYGO excepted. I try to get in one a week at least but often do a burst of 3/4 days in a row, fishing for an hour or two after work when the light is there. I will have some short evening sessions for chub over next couple of months now that I've purchased some reduced 'xmas' cheese. Couple of kilos rolled up, bagged up and good to go.
For your own poll I estimate 90-100 trips last year. Not a scientific contribution tho.