Why oh why.....

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Do I still have these items in my tackle box....?

Am I the only one on here who can't bear to throw things away?

The one-eyed plug is a bonus 'found in a tree' which is/was some form of trophy that represents someone else's loss and your gain (admit it, we've all done it..)

The Black and White pike float was retrieved from a bush on Startops Reservoir in the early Eighties. Rumour has it that there were a pair of (famous) anglers trying out 'drifting' methods on a quiet corner of the reservoir and this may or may not be one of their prototypes....

The bait dropper harks back to my days of fishing on the Thames (remember those size limits..?) and hasn't seen action since the early Seventies

The Newark Needle floats need no introduction, and I appear to still have a full set (why...?)

The tin of Mucilin has been rattling around in my tackle boxes for so many years I really have forgotten how old it is

The box of blued Mustard spade end hooks were the sharpest 'Mutts-Nuts' in their day

And as for the packet of hooks to nylon, all I can say is the 5lbs nylon was and still is, stiff enough to be used for basket weaving....

Whilst I did do a lot of rod building back in the day, should I sill have the remnants of a reel of rod whipping cotton of the Jasper variety....?

Whilst it may be a cathartic exercise to just bin the lot, why can't I do it?

john step

Reaction score
Yes, I dread to think whats lurking in those boxes at the bottom of the tackle shed. One day I will sort them out....one day:eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Truth be told all the old Walt Bower needle floats were pretty much an aluminium stemmed stick float.
They died the death off a thousand knockers but they did work.
I reckon old Walts still using them on the big river in the sky bless him !.

nhs service

Reaction score
Nice baitdropper. I would be at that with the wet and dry, then spray it dark green. I read an article by a barbel angler, sorry, forget the name, but he wrote that if he had left his baitdroppers behind he would go home, that's how important they were to his fishing.
I suppose we are all guilty of keeping stuff that we think will come in useful for something one day.
I found a large wooden box at a booty. Many,many coats of poundland green fence paint later it serves as a store for the bits and bobs I keep for someday. and as it goes nicely under the bed it's out of sight and mind.
The sort out is much to be avoided. Ok if you are selling to buy, but otherwise resist. What goes around comes around, and imagine some ace inventing a devastating new tactic involving Newark needle floats!
All the best for 2017.

Philip

Reaction score
Pike float ad bait dropper look good to me ! :)

Philip

Reaction score
I read an article by a barbel angler, sorry, forget the name, but he wrote that if he had left his baitdroppers behind he would go home, that's how important they were to his fishing.

I think that would have been the late (cant believe I am typing that) Tony Miles. He used to carry 3 with him at all times if I recall correctly.

Must say I feel pretty "undressed" without a dropper if am using hemp especially.

nhs service

Reaction score
Thanks. I was saddened at his passing. Great angler whose honesty and integrity came across very clearly in his writings.