Drenhan float help?

nova12

Reaction score
Today whilst fishing my local lake i seen a float along way off by the time i packed up it got closer and i managed to net it. The float was on a snap link swivel with float adapters i think holding it in place Its a drenhan 3.5g float glow tip or something like that but theres no refrence to the shots needed does that mean it doesnt need shotting or do you have the just guess the shotting kind regards.

nova12

Reaction score
Well thats that then thanks lol how many number 4 shots is that

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well thats that then thanks lol how many number 4 shots is that

Being serious, since shot seem to vary in size and weight your best to just shot it up and see what variations you like to look of. A tall clear tube is a handy thing to have to test weights on floats at home if you don't want to spend time doing it on the bank. It might have been here on FM or on another forum but a cheap way to make a nice tall shotting tube is to silicone a length of clear rod tube onto a suitable plastic lid or similar, one with enough circumfrance so as to keep the tube nice and stable. You could stick the whole thing onto a peice of wood for extra stability if you wanted to.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think that you need to identify the float properly before you go chucking 4AA+ at it. There aren't that many Glow-Tip floats in the Drennan range. The Glow Tip Antennas don't go as heavy as 3.5g and have the shot capacity on them anyway. Glow Tip Carp Inserts and Glow Tip Carp Wagglers both have 3.5g floats in the range and neither have shotting capacities on them. However, they are both loaded floats so they won't require the full 3.5g marked on them to cock them. Chances are that all they require is a couple of bb (or less) to lock them and the odd small shot as a tell tale.

robtherake

Reaction score
The plug-in base weights come in different sizes, dependent on the size of the float, and are swappable with similar floats in the Drennan range. It's possible to fit a heavy float with a lighter weight in order to be able to use bigger locking shot, or to fish with more weight down the line.