Prestige Porterlite barrow

mikench

Reaction score
What do people think of the above particularly Sagalout who i believe has one?

If i need one at all it needs to be less than £100, light and narrow, easily folded and non too bulky when folded. A couple of the lakes i will now have access to will need one unless i travel light! I can just manage my chair in its bag, a rod bag with 2 rods in, a large tackle bag and my bait bag for about 200 yards without stopping although I will make two trips if needs be.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Great bit of kit, I would not be fishing if it wasn't for a Prestige Portalite !!

Bob

mikench

Reaction score
It receives very good reviews and you are clearly happy with it Bob!

It is top of my list of potentials in case i feel I really need one.

john step

Reaction score
Mike, they aint the cheapest but they are the best. They are made in England so any parts lost can be got easily. I have the carp porter mk 2 version.

I have a pneumatic tyre. I have heard the puncture proof version is a bit soft if you load them up.
If the porterlite version takes a under bag, get one.
Its useful for keeping stuff dry and sandwiches etc out of the way.

I find that one single large barrow bag is better for packing everything in than a rucksack and a seperate holdall. Recommend a NGT. I just put my chair and net on then the barrow bag on top and the rod holdall on top of that. Finished with bungees to provided hooking points.

Nicely balanced, no effort to push and goes along muddy places where my car would get stuck.

Folds in a minute and fits in my small hatchback.

By this post you can guess I am a fan:D

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Mike,
I still use mine on almost every outing. Light, spacious and it barrows stuff about. I assume you've seen my review from years ago? I think it is very well priced as well at under 90 quid. It probably ain't for the long stay carper type loads but for simple needs it is brilliant.

I think the under bag is a pain in the arris if you need to fold the legs (a couple of buckles need undoing) but it is a good place to keep the bog roll and trowel, extra clothing, etc.

If you got any specific questions fire away.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Having re-read your initial post, if I was folding it every trip (I don't, I put in the back of the car without folding) I would do away with the under bag, possibly replace it with a storage box that slotted in between the rails.

My Honda Jazz would take the unfolded porterlite and all the rest of my kit without a problem.

john step

Reaction score
Saga, thats interesting about the underbag. I have one on the MK2 as stated and I just fold it with no need to undo any buckles. Perhaps the Mk 2 is a bit wider or something??

In anycase its revolutionised my approach to places I was starting to baulk at carrying my clobber to

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks chaps for you comments. It is top of my list. I had read your post Mr Lout and found it most helpful.

I assume you have overnighters if you need a trowel and a bog roll!!! . They are not part of my kit;)

sagalout

Reaction score
I assume you have overnighters if you need a trowel and a bog roll!!!
No I only fish for less than 8 hours but there are no facilities where I fish and the call of nature does not take prisoners!

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Saga, thats interesting about the underbag. I have one on the MK2 as stated and I just fold it with no need to undo any buckles. Perhaps the Mk 2 is a bit wider or something??
I am sure mine is a mk2 so perhaps I have attached the bag wrong, i feel a coat of looking at coming on.

mikench

Reaction score
Out of interest i saw some posts going back to 2011 on a carp forum lambasting Prestige for their poor service and appalling customer care. The barrows are no longer made in England but China and their website now states " Designed in England"

It has not put me off and it remains on my list for next major purchase;) I just need to have a good look at all the new waters that will shortly be available to me and decide if one is really necesssary!

john step

Reaction score
When did the manufacturing switch to China? I have just looked at their web site which still states they are made in England.

greenie62

Reaction score
....It has not put me off and it remains on my list for next major purchase;) I just need to have a good look at all the new waters that will shortly be available to me and decide if one is really necesssary!

Hey Mike - at the rate you get tempted into buying new tackle - you'll soon be needing one just to get your gear to the car and back! :D

terry m

Reaction score
No idea on the Portalite, but I have a Prestige Carp Barrow with the fat front wheel, it is excellent.

I understood that they were made in Basildon, Essex.

mikench

Reaction score
If you google the name of the company or product you will see reference to comments made about customer service. The website for prestige says designed in England and apparently they are made (isn't' everything :)) in China.