rubbish/stupid kit

xenon

Reaction score
Regard this as a companion thread to the theme of "most significant angling developments"-whats you nomination for the most useless/pointless piece of kit? newark needle floats come to mind (will draw a veil over the mabby-its for the best)

robtherake

Reaction score
The maggot firing device ghost you operate with one hand , never replaced the caterpult

The EZ Feeda? Never used one, but was tempted a few years back after watching a fella using one fastened to his seatbox. Accuracy was fantastic and it was obviously a cinch to use...for him, at least.:eek:mg:

Maybe the secret's having the thing solidly fixed to whatever you're sitting on?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Oh, bother yez, Rob, I want one now!

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Those hinged floats from the sixties were a bit of a flop - the waving tip was supposed to magnify a small bite, and would, as long as the small bite was made with great force. Superb for lethargic piranhas, I'd have thought.

Philip

Reaction score
Some good ones there chaps !

Agreed the Newarks where useless to a frightening level and surely in any self respecting anglers top 10 ! As for the duck sentinel, I am torn between useless and unessecerily fiddlty & complicated...it could so easily take either crown !

The EZ feeda ? ...was that the plastic thing that looked like a spaghetti serving spoon that you bolted to your box seat and bent back to fire bait out ?...if it was then it certainly had all the attributes on paper to be a regrettable purchase but as I never actually saw one on the bank I better reserve judgement:D

Ok here is my entry and ashamedly I enter it through bitter personal experience having been dumb enough to actually buy it ! …it was described as a telescopic rod rest and I cannot begin to tell you how bad it is & on so many levels. Even the plastic rest part that you put your rod in is so narrow that literally no rod will actually fit into it !...after that the list of useless features is truly impressive…I wont bore you with the gory details suffice to say totally unstable, totally unusable and totally useless are deserving accolades. I rest my case (…but clearly not my rod..)

philip-albums-misc-picture4369-rod-rest.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have the EZ feeda and whilst it takes some practice is not that bad particularly for gb and pellets. I thought it was rubbish at first but having persevered with it I find it useful as an addition to a catapult. Go on Rob admit it; you now want one:rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
...Those hinged floats from the sixties were a bit of a flop - the waving tip was supposed to magnify a small bite, and would, as long as the small bite was made with great force. Superb for lethargic piranhas, I'd have thought.

I thought these were meant for yer bleak on the Thames, Al!?:eek:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Please don't remind me! The pearly plague of '76... shudder.
I think perch were the only fish strong (and dim) enough to pull one of those floats upright. Thank goodness they've recovered enough to keep the bleak in check!

Keith M

Reaction score
The 'MaggiPult' that was promoted by Bob Nudd years ago was very soon thrown in the back of my shed. It enabled you to fire out maggots one handed up to around 14mtrs but the very loud Thwack!!! it made when used would scare any fish worth its salt out of your swim. I think this is the same gadget that Lord Paul has already mentioned.

You can still find different variations of it for sale on the web, but for me it should be consigned to room 101.

I also had some plastic 'flat topped keel floats' that someone once gave me which were used on canals under a pole tip and they were useless too. Another thing that should be consigned to room 101.

And ditto for the Newark Needle floats.

Also the automatic striker that struck the rod when the line was pulled, what a stupid contraption that was. The bailiff of my local gravelpit told me that she had had a small jack pike hit her on the back of her head once as she walked around the lake when someone had been using one. This certainly should be consigned to room 101 Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Oh, bother yez, Rob, I want one now!

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Those hinged floats from the sixties were a bit of a flop - the waving tip was supposed to magnify a small bite, and would, as long as the small bite was made with great force. Superb for lethargic piranhas, I'd have thought.

I always thought that those hinged floats were for fishing lift-style, where the top would collapse and lay flat in response to the typical lift bite?

greenie62

Reaction score
I always thought that those hinged floats were for fishing lift-style, where the top would collapse and lay flat in response to the typical lift bite?

:eek:mg: That's where we've been going wrong with them Al! :eek: :doh:

robtherake

Reaction score
Ok here is my entry and ashamedly I enter it through bitter personal experience having been dumb enough to actually buy it ! …it was described as a telescopic rod rest and I cannot begin to tell you how bad it is & on so many levels. Even the plastic rest part that you put your rod in is so narrow that literally no rod will actually fit into it !...after that the list of useless features is truly impressive…I wont bore you with the gory details suffice to say totally unstable, totally unusable and totally useless are deserving accolades. I rest my case (…but clearly not my rod..)

philip-albums-misc-picture4369-rod-rest.jpg

I almost posted about something similar, having bought several items which fastened rod rests and suchlike to a chair, only to find that no matter how hard they were tightened up it was impossible to get them to hold position. Of the ones that had enough grip, perhaps only half were stable, and others suffered because the positioning of the tightening wheel caused difficulties mounting the thing.:confused:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score

That would explain it! They were sold without instructions, and I was given one by a non-angling relative. (A vast improvement on football socks, which were hoped to steer me in the right direction, but still not much cop).

Oh,Bugrit, now I know what they're for, I want one of those, too!

flightliner

Reaction score
The lesney bait press !.
ps, re the Newark needle floats.
Old walt bower hid the patents by wallpapering over them in his living room.

Last edited: