Avon rods

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have 2 X 1.5lb Avon rods that I have been using on alarms for tench, was just wondering what size carp could I expect to play safely and could I use for hard fighting barbell in the summer ? Not on fast river like the Wye .

Thanks

lutra

Reaction score
1.5lb tc is only a measure of the weight needed to pull the tip down 90 degrees and doesn't really tell us how much power is left in the rod. Some 1.5lb avon rods will have a bit more back bone than others, but generally I wouldn't worry about going barbeling on even the Wye with one. So long as your not fishing a snag pit or need to cast to the moon, should be fine for sub 20lb carp as well.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
One is a korum all rounder the other is a drennan Avon quiver so has the Avon top section. If chasing barbel in summer and snags would 1.75 or 2lb barbell rod be recommended ?

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

But also have some 2.25 carp rods or are they too ott ? Would be watching for a bite with rod in air

Philip

Reaction score
[/COLOR]
I have 2 X 1.5lb Avon rods that I have been using on alarms for tench, was just wondering what size carp could I expect to play safely and could I use for hard fighting barbell in the summer ? Not on fast river like the Wye .

I think it depends on the line & hooks your using and where your fishing …if you using strong enough tackle the rods themselves would probably handle most Carp.
But to give you a more direct answer as Lutra suggested I would say up to about 20lb fish as well. After that you probably want to step up the rods.

Just another point – not sure if I read you correctly but If you already have 1.5 and 2.25 TC rods I would not worry too much about going out and buying another rod at say 1.75 or 2lb TC. You already have what you need. Just make a judgement call on the day depending on the swims your fishing. Acording to the Korum & Drennan websites the rods you have are rated rated at lines from 4-12 & 5-10lb and I personally think it will handle most Barbel situations your going to encounter.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes the 2.25 carp rods was bought thinking was going to use them a lot but I tend to do feeder work more often either with drennan 10ft carp feeder with smaller feeders or for bigger feeders or pva bags I use the Avon quiver which is why I bought it for nice rod . The korum I got given by my dad . But in summer il be going after carp on club waters in Cotswolds and can be weedy but not a long chuck so il use carp rods . Got some shimano dl10000 reels for Xmas , for barbell what would be the recommended line rating ? 10/12 lb ?

lutra

Reaction score
Yes the 2.25 carp rods was bought thinking was going to use them a lot but I tend to do feeder work more often either with drennan 10ft carp feeder with smaller feeders or for bigger feeders or pva bags I use the Avon quiver which is why I bought it for nice rod . The korum I got given by my dad . But in summer il be going after carp on club waters in Cotswolds and can be weedy but not a long chuck so il use carp rods . Got some shimano dl10000 reels for Xmas , for barbell what would be the recommended line rating ? 10/12 lb ?

There is no recommended line rating for barbel. Line rating is set by what you need. Which is set largely by where, when and how you want to fish.

Not much good fishing single caster in clear water on 12lb line. Not very good fishing half a tin of meat in a snag peg on 4lb bottom..............

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There is no recommended line rating for barbel. Line rating is set by what you need. Which is set largely by where, when and how you want to fish.

Not much good fishing single caster in clear water on 12lb line. Not very good fishing half a tin of meat in a snag peg on 4lb bottom..............

If a slow paced river and using meat and can be a bit weedy and snags in summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutra

Reaction score
If a slow paced river and using meat and can be a bit weedy and snags in summer

Generally I'd leave the slow snag pits alone in summer and look for some flow, but in any case you need to use line and tackle you think suitable. If your proved wrong, change it or fish somewhere else.

You do seem to be thinking heavy, which is probably a good place to start till you get a feel for barbel and the river.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Generally there is not a huge flow like the Severn and the like , it's Bristol Avon no boat traffic but there is 2 weirs on the club just joined stretch . It's a species I fancy chasing this year

trotter2

Reaction score
I fish predominantly a 1.1/4 lb Avon and have no problem landing fish. The only time I use anything more powerfull is when I need to cast big open ended feeders large distances.
And them I move up to a 1 3/4lb avon but the majority of my fishing is using the 1 1/4 test rod.
Hope that helps

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great , what type of fishing do you do ?

steve2

Reaction score
With a 1.5lb rod you should be able to land any fish you hook. Most anglers are now totally over gunned with the strength of tackle they use.
Yes by all means use more powerful tackle if you are casting long distance with heavy leads.
But it now seems fashionable to be seen with what I would call "Power Tackle".
My Avon rods are 1.25lb test and I have had no trouble landing big fish on them both double figure barbel and 25lb plus carp.

Weren’t the original MKIV Carp and Avon rods only 1.5lb and 1lb test curve and they landed plenty of big fish over the years.

greenie62

Reaction score
Just goes to show what a well-designed rod the original Avons were - I still like to use my JW Avon for a variety of fishing - from still-water tenching through to wobbling sprats on the river!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes it seems fashion to have 3lb carp rods ! At my local commercial I keep seeing the same 2 lads and there on 2 rods on alarms with 3lb rods and big pit reels . Expect they think it's the norm from watching big carp anglers on the telly !

I'm normally there with 1 feeder rod with a 2 or 3 oz tip .

What if you was to start fishing some ex gravel pits that are weedy would you step rod up a bit ?

greenie62

Reaction score
....At my local commercial I keep seeing the same 2 lads and there on 2 rods on alarms with 3lb rods and big pit reels .......I'm normally there with 1 feeder rod with a 2 or 3 oz tip .....

So - how do you get on at the fishery compared to the 2 BigPit guys?

trotter2

Reaction score
Just goes to show what a well-designed rod the original Avons were - I still like to use my JW Avon for a variety of fishing - from still-water tenching through to wobbling sprats on the river!

Its was indeed revolutionary and changed the way we fish.
Like I have said before everyone should have one

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not may avon rods any good for trotting.....Hardys did one though :).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
They caught as so did I but I found since using feeders I do catch more .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Someone forgot to tell the Chub that! :)

Admittedly - I prefer to use the Acolyte now - but it worked for me for years!

Mike, I used to have the original JW rod and have had a few others also and imo they where awful for trotting. Even if you had lightening reflexes they where so floppy and slow the fish had digested your bait and spat the hook out before it moved...a bit of an exageration there I know, not much though lol. The Hardy rod has a super fast action and is great to trott with amongst a number of other angling applications, it's my all time favourite avon rod :w.