Wet bread

mikench

Reaction score
Yesterday I caught 40% or so of my fish on bread punch. I am quite happy using this on the float and must learn to be more attentive and ready to strike quickly at the first float movement because there won't be another as the bread will have gone.

I also tried wet bread following a video from some guy from Angling Times. I duly soaked the crusts in water and then put them between the sheets of a newspaper. I then found a use for the weights in the garage which my son asked me to look after whilst he moved to Dubai for a while! That was 7 years ago:rolleyes:

I placed several 3 or 4 kilo disks on top of the paper and left it for at least 8 hours. When I removed it from the paper it looked just like it did on the DVD! It tore easily and remained damp and seemed to go on the hook easily enough. The problem was it came off the hook equally easily no matter how gently I cast in. I inserted the hook(a14) as instructed then twisted it 90 degrees and even squeezed it on the shank. It came off on at least 9 out of 10 casts. What was I doing wrong and is it worth perservering with? I remain sceptical about bread because you never really know if it is still on the hook!

mikench

Reaction score
I read the article and very interesting it was too. My preparation was virtually the same but I suspect he had far more skill than me:(

I will keep trying bread as it is so cheap and potentially so versatile. One loaf gives you plenty of liquidised bread, wet bread for the crusts, a couple of slices for the punch and the rest for your favourite butties! One cannot say the same for maggots and pellets :rolleyes:

rubio

Reaction score
I recommend to all and sundry reading "my way with bread", by Keith Speers. In this he explains the full traditional preparation of wet bread, and quite a bit else besides. Confidence that bread is on your hook is crucial to persisting with bread fishing, or at least was for me. Usually it is on hook right up until you reel in and it's belief and trust that you need rather than squeezing it on harder. Many would suggest if it stays on the hook when you reel in it's too hard to get a bite. I go along with that mostly and try to 'hang' flake on the hook more than press it on.
I been using punch a lot lately for roach on the whip. I rarely do more than take a slice from the bag and punch away. Microwave or kettle steaming both make it stickier and can be helpful. Likewise rolling pins, but I want my hookbait soft ideally. Even without preparation I get small punch to stay on for 2/3 casts. Occasionally it's possible to unhook a roach and recast with the same bait for the next one. It's gotta be fresh tho.

B

binka

Persevere with it Mike, it's worth it in the end.

I think wet bread became very popular with a lot of the Thames anglers many years ago which suggests to me that they would be laying their rigs in as opposed to casting, which would cure a lot of the problem of it coming off the hook.

Having said that I used it last week with a light bomb and occasionally I compressed it really firmly and it made no difference in that I still caught with it, probably because the core was still soft and light due to it being pre-soaked, unlike hard pinched flake.

I've never really been able to decide why it often works better than flake, the only conclusion I can come to is that it seems softer to the fish and attractive in very cold conditions due to its digestability.

Probably wrong though :)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think it may just have been the wrong sort of bread, the type that is crumbly from the word go. You need the sort that tears into ribbons rather than shattering into bits. Good stuff, basically; Hovis White, Warburtons or, if you're rich, challah.

mikench

Reaction score
Cheers Steve; I plan to!. I will try a piece under the presses for a couple of weeks and report back!

Just done it! If it turns out like floor tile I will blame you Simon!!!!!

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Bread

The bread Keith uses for wet bread is called challah pronounced holla . Most bakers only sell it on Friday's .

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I will ask one off my Jewish partners to get me some! I won't mention the fishing aspect;)

rayner

Reaction score
I occasionally use crust for roach, I cut nearly all the white bread off then press the golden coloured crust for a couple of hours.
It hooks easily, stays on, and fishes well.

john step

Reaction score
I did mention on here some time ago that wraps are a very easy to use bread substitute. In fact I think they are a sort of bread. Tesco sell white or brown ones. They look and feel like compressed bread!

Take a disc of wrap and cut a piece near to the size(for the hook) required.

Once hooked you can trim it with scissors exactly to any shape or size you fancy.

Big bits for big fish. Tiny bits for roach:)

mikench

Reaction score
I had never thought of soft flour tortillas/ wraps. I use these a lot in cooking so next time I will reserve one for fishing!

john step

Reaction score
I had never thought of soft flour tortillas/ wraps. I use these a lot in cooking so next time I will reserve one for fishing!

Mike the ones I use come from the same place in the supermarket shelves as bread does.
I don't know if those tortillas are the same thing? Maybe, maybe not?