Bubble floats

mikench

Reaction score
In anticipation of this summer I do plan to use a bubble float! Do you use a float rod or a feeder rod?

thecrow

Reaction score
If you are talking about the bubble float used for surface fishing a 1.5 avon type rod or a 1.75 barbel rod would be ideal also depends how much water you are going to need to put into the bubble to get the distance you need.

flossy

Reaction score
I use my 1 3/4 avon type rod ,had some very big carp on this balanced with 8lb line,good luck.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Got to strike into it though and youl swear if miss the bite lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
For close-ish range I like the "upside down waggler" style of surface float, used with a Maver Reactorlite 12ft match rod - ostensibly a pellet waggler rod - which has a fair bit of poke and good line pick-up. TBH, the rod and line combo depends to a certain extent on the usual factors: snags; weeds; size of quarry, although judicious feeding can lure the fish away from problem areas.

Premier Surface Carp Waggler

Not that I'm trying to encourage you to get your wallet out again, or anything.:wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you use a Fox bubble, and the fish are not playing at the depths ( or surface) you're fishing, slightly over fill it and it will sink slowly to temp fish at any depth. The bites can be instant as soon as it hits the water - anything in between - but often they'll follow the bait down and hit it on the drop once the bubble has touched bottom (I tend to use approximately 3'-4' hooklengths for this purpose. A fun way of fishing but, as Simon says, keep the rod in your hand at all times and recast withing a minute of hitting bottom....

PS Don't forget it's a bolt bubble............

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
If you use a Fox bubble, and the fish are not playing at the depths you're fishing, slightly over fill it and it will sink slowly to temp fish at any depth. The bites can be instant as soon as it hits the water - anything in between - but often they'll follow the bait down and hit it on the drop once the bubble has touched bottom (I tend to use approximately 3'-4' hooklengths for this purpose. A fun way of fishing but, as Simon says, keep the rod in your hand at all times and recast withing a minute of hitting bottom....

PS Don't forget it's a bolt bubble............

Something similar with a Drennan sub float (basically a clear sunken float paternoster float)..if you pierced it with a needle you could squeeze it and take some water into it, you could literally get it to become critically boyant so much so that you could get it to sink so slowly it would stop sinking if it touched the tips of weeds. You could achieve some unbelivable presentations ...a red worm wrigging on top of thick green weed beds for example or a critically balanced bolie hovering over the weed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Ok mike, most all suggestions will do you ok but if you find yourself on a water with lots of roach a tiny bubble float can be fashioned with holes to allow maggots to escape as the slowly retrieved bubble sinks.Bites can be very positive.

mikench

Reaction score
I like the sound of that! My problem is which method and tackle to pick on the day; the choice is bewildering!:) That is part of the fun I suppose;)

I do enjoy catching roach and they really put up a fight! I can only imagine what a 2lb plus fish would be like!

I assume that you have a longish hook link with maggot on the hook?

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

For close-ish range I like the "upside down waggler" style of surface float, used with a Maver Reactorlite 12ft match rod - ostensibly a pellet waggler rod - which has a fair bit of poke and good line pick-up. TBH, the rod and line combo depends to a certain extent on the usual factors: snags; weeds; size of quarry, although judicious feeding can lure the fish away from problem areas.

Premier Surface Carp Waggler

Not that I'm trying to encourage you to get your wallet out again, or anything.:wh

You may not be surprised to learn that I have some of those already but unused. To be honest I bought them from the pound Angling tackle site and did not know what to do with them!!!:) I propose to use either my Middy 4gs waggled or the Darent Valley specimen rod. I do not need any more rods Rob yet:rolleyes::wh