Fishing Rights Mill Green - Hatfield

Ross

Reaction score
Does anyone know who owns the fishing rights on the River Lee between the railway bridge below Stanborough - the stretch that I believe is run by the WGC Angling Club - and Mill Green before the river runs into Hatfield Park?

The river is gated just after the railway bridge at the end of Stanborough Park before the river runs down to Bush Hall Hotel. Is this private fishing belonging to Bush Hall Hotel or is it run by a club?

Many thanks...

Maggie

Reaction score
It belongs to WGC angling club.My husbandused to fish it whenhe was a member of WGC. he said that he used to catch some nice river carp, chub, roach and perch in the river through the gate but very few Barbel although as you get nearer the Bush Hall Hotel there are a few more Barbel. but he saidit wasn't the best stretch for Barbel anyway.

He also said that there are usually some quality Roachby the reed beds close to the bridge both before and after it.

WGC ACalso has the small overflow brook that runs around the back and rejoins the lea not far from the mill green road. and across the road before it goes over a small weir.

They also own a better stretch in Bayfordbury nearer Hertford that has more barbel, chub and carp whichmembers can fish at night.

Ross

Reaction score
Thanks Maggie! Exactly the information I was after.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The stretch at Bush Hall is now Private and no longer belongs to WGC AC.

On the other side of the road WGC AC still run this stretch, but it only goes to the out fall.

The Paddock after the out fall is also Private.

The Bush hall stretch was taken back when the old house was rebuilt, shame as there where some nice fish there.

The overflow brook that maggie spoke about has some good fish, and with all the extra water from the rain the brook seems to fish better than other times of the year.

Ross

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ray. Do you know who owns the stretch now?

Keith M

Reaction score
Ray, are you talking about the last swims by the road?

We had a notice from the WGC AC committee about losing the fishing rights there following an incident where some nerd with tattoos all over him was shouting the odds and moaning and swearing at the guy across the river in the houses garden and the owner rightly complained about the moron. we subsequently lost the fishing in the swims next to the road bridge.

but Welwyn still have or had the rights along the rest of the stretch from the gate by the railway bridge up to the horse paddocksplus theoverflow streamand across the road bridge but not the ones near to the pirivate house.

Is this still the same or has it changed?

NB. I haven't been a member there for the past few seasons.

Keith

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't got back before guys.

The stretch where the Private house is, no longer belongs to WGC AC. The owner of the House willNOT let anyone fish within his grounds, which would be like someone sitting in your back garden. Whilst the house was being renovated I fished there a couple of times and meet the owner,.

He was alright with people fishing there whilst the work was going on, but didnt want Anglers there once he moved in. I have asked a couple of times since they moved in, but its a NO.

From the bend at the end of stanborough lake, (This is where the day tickets finish)down to the houseis still WGC AC.

The small stretch across the road from Bush Hall Hotel, is still WGC AC, but only up to the overflow. From there on it is Private.

The stretch that runs in the bounds of Hatfield House is run by Hatfield AC, you should be able to get more info from the tackle shop in Old Hatfield, Old Hatfield is Opposite the train station