time travel

xenon

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder what anglers of yesteryear would make of current tackle/standards/practice? If some of our top guys could go back 100 years or more in a time machine with all the latest kit, how would it look to them? conversely, if we were able to go forward 100+ years would we be similarly amazed?

chrissh

Reaction score
If the kid are anything to go by today In a 100 years from now it will be virtual fishing sitting in there simulators going any were in the world and catching any fish they want without moving out of the house

theartist

Reaction score
I think if it was the other way round and the top guys from yesteryear had our kit it would be more of a contrast - we'd get hammered!

steve2

Reaction score
I bet that those from yesteryear would love to use our tackle instead of their bits of bent cane and reed and wooden reels. Mind you there are still those that believe that the old tackle is better than new.

The future of fishing, I don’t think there is one certainly not on natural waters.

john step

Reaction score
I once saw a photo and feature in one of the weeklies about fishing in Japan.
The venue looked like a swimming pool with wooden walk ways across and little wooden fishing platforms.
Uniform depth of water.
Put and take(carp I think)
Completely artificial and contrived. A vision of Hell.:(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet that those from yesteryear would love to use our tackle instead of their bits of bent cane and reed and wooden reels. Mind you there are still those that believe that the old tackle is better than new.

The future of fishing, I don’t think there is one certainly not on natural waters.

Regardless of the equipment used the very basics; location, presentation and decent bait, coupled with that indefinable "watercraft" are as important today as they ever were.

I thoroughly enjoy using a split cane rod and a vintage reel, on occasion, and catch just a much as when I use a modern carboniferous rod and reel.

Is such equipment "better" or just "different" either way they are a great reminder of how far out sport has progressed over the decades?

PS: I doubt I have ever seen anyone fishing with a piece of "bent cane" but in order to know where we are going then maybe, just maybe, it is both logical (and intelligent?) to have learned and understood from whence we came?

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
I think if it was the other way round and the top guys from yesteryear had our kit it would be more of a contrast - we'd get hammered!

Unless it was catching carp, as lets not forget 100 years ago they were considered uncatchable...

ken more

Reaction score
Regardless of the equipment used the very basics; location, presentation and decent bait, coupled with that indefinable "watercraft" are as important today as they ever were.

I thoroughly enjoy using a split cane rod and a vintage reel, on occasion, and catch just a much as when I use a modern carboniferous rod and reel.

Is such equipment "better" or just "different" either way they are a great reminder of how far out sport has progressed over the decades?

PS: I doubt I have ever seen anyone fishing with a piece of "bent cane" but in order to know where we are going then maybe, just maybe, it is both logical (and intelligent?) to have learned and understood from whence we came?

Don't suppose you need any rod or reel to catch fish. You could always use a hand line or just a length of line, and a hook fashioned out bone/wood or some such.:)

P.S. Don't usually see the Luddites using this method though:D

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I think there are some on here that can tell you all about a 100 years ago :)

Keith M

Reaction score
If the kid are anything to go by today In a 100 years from now it will be virtual fishing sitting in there simulators going any were in the world and catching any fish they want without moving out of the house

I thought that they could do this already Lol.

Keith

laguna

Reaction score
15672525_10212023507005216_3825842097636707419_n.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Time travel would be helpful now as I prepare for a match tomorrow...

If it is/was as hard as I predict I'd stay in bed instead...

mikench

Reaction score
I would like to go back to the Thursday before Christmas when I forgot my maggots and bread. They are now in the car :rolleyes:

laguna

Reaction score
If you were given the chance to travel forward in time or back in time for a day what would you choose?

Going back in time when I was a kid learning to fish and catching my first roach, would be better than catching another PB sometime in the future - no matter how big it was! :w

mikench

Reaction score
If i went forward or backward in time it would have nothing to do with fishing:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I could go back to visit a previous time then it would have to be: The Longwater at Hampton Court on the day I caught my first two pound Tench.

Caught on the float with a worm bait and actually targeted for about an hour having watched it ' bubble ' in my chosen swim, when I was aged 12.

steve2

Reaction score
I would go back to my school days when every fishing trip was an adventure most meant "guesting" some club or private water and the days always seemed longer and sunnier.