Guru LWG hooks

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hope you can advise me.? I am having a lot of problems tying guru x-strong hooks with a matchman tyer,the shank of the hook being so short. I find Guru LWG hooks so much easier. The place i fish has a lot of carp to 5lb/6lb would the LWG be ok to use. Thanks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I never got on with the old match an hook tier so I switched to the Drennan version which is far simpler.

Then, back in the late 90's I discovered the Sensas Pierotti (spelling) and have found that to be excellent, especially for relatively short shank hooks.

Not sure if they are still available but a friend told me there is a copy on the market.

Last edited:

edsurf

Reaction score
I have used both the matchman and Drennan after tying my hooks by hand for years as I thought my eyes and hands were getting a bit iffy on the smaller hooks, turns out I can still tie the hooks better than the tools even down to 18s and 0.11 line. so when the eyes pack up its shop bought ones for me.I find both tools do not hold the hook tight enough.

mikench

Reaction score
That has been my experience as well. I have just ordered some new glasses and sunglasses but will continue to buy hooks to nylon/hair rigs. I cannot comment on hooks as I can only differentiate them on size and whether they are hair rigs or not;)

I do persist in making the odd hook length with flurocarbon for helicopter rigs but my levels of competence and speed remain the same - dismal:(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use guru lwg hooks size 18 and they aren't too tricky to tie. I use a Drennan hooktier for mine. They are strong enough to handle carp to double figures no problem..

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info lads. I read somewhere that the LWG is andy bennets favourite pattern of hook so if its good enough for him etc: